Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My safari who wants more…….
  • oldfart

CLIMBING!!!!! knottie thinks we should take in the summit of Dunkery instead of traversing about half way up.Bear in mind the climb from Selworthy the climb from Dunster up Grabbist Hill and total distance of around 26 miles.If you would like to take in the highest point on Exmoor thats fine i will work out the best way with Mr Knott.I would like to take everyone down the valley between Webbers Post and the b/path to Stoke Pero as that is so sweet as well .So over to you boys and girls.BTW Knottie i usually get to Selworthy Beacon by riding past the church and about half a mile later there’s ab/path heading up.Not the most direct route but stiff enough after 24 miles!!

knottie8
    Free Member

it just seems a shame to miss out dunkery. The down afterwards is long and would still take in stoke pero church downhill to horner. You still have to climb up to the church on your route .

oldfart

with you all the way about the summit .do you know the valley i’m on about?it’s down a road with a ford at the bottom,then you climb back out on the road pass a farmhouse that looks a bit like a swiss chalet,then through 3 fields to Stoke Pero.sound familiar?

cinnamon_girl

How many thousands of metres of climbing please?

I may well make a weekend of this, any recommendations please for accommodation reasonably close to the start point? Is Hartwood House B & B too far away do you think?

knottie8
    Free Member

I know where you mean , dunkery is about mile up the road from the dunster path, steep I know. John has offered to take a split group at that point as an option.

knottie8
    Free Member

Sorry CG I done use gps stuff so no idea of height gain.

cinnamon_girl

knottie – have you marked out the route on a map? I could work it out that way. Apologies – I’m a map and routes geek 😳

sharki
    Free Member

It’s only one more climb and will be rewarding….i think it should be included as an option on the day, if it’s clear and not too stiffling and peeps feel like it, then do it…

Work out 2 routes with an easy split up to dunkers or around the edge…

I’m not clued up on what route you were getting to webbers, i’ve only got to the beacon from the west.

Which tranverse were you planning youngpoofy?

I feel a spider map coming…..

cinnamon_girl

What numbers are you expecting? Will we be in seperate groups then?

sharki
    Free Member

I liked the name badges, but i’m sure i’ve got the stickers still,so i guess we could have numbers this time…….;-)

BTW, very doubtful i’ll come, if i do, it’ll be ss.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Oldfart, sounds very similar to a route out of MTB from 1995, that started from Minehead, Grabbist Hill, Wooton Coutenay, Brockwell, then up to Dunkery Beacon, Rowbarrows, Stoke Pero, Horner Woods, Lucott Cross, Hawcombe Head, Porlock, Allerford, Selworthy, Selworthy Beacon, then the Coast Path back to Minehead.
    We had a great day, and the views from Dunkery Beacon were fantastic, I’d say put it in if you can.
    We rode it in summer 96, I’d just bought a Turner Burner and wanted to take in something more challenging than our usual Cotswold fields. Scary that it was 13 years ago and I haven’t managed to get back there for a ride since.
    Would love to come on your safari, but like you two long days on consecutive weekends is difficult for me to arrange, and C-G’s Chiltern ride is the folowing weekend, plus I’m away the weekend after that for a mates 50th.

hopster
    Free Member

Got to ride Dunkery as the view and descent from the top are wicked. Going to be working when you take the ride which is a shame as I’d love to come.

aleigh
    Free Member

Can we try and keep to one group if numbers allow? As for how much climbing, it’s better I don’t know 😆

oldfart

r6ymy yeah that’s the one. CG don’t panic girl we will look after you , like we did on the sea crossing at Sandbanks!!!!! LOL!oh and as for accomodation i hear the Hood Arms at Kilve is V.Good MTB friendly etc etc.obviously not used it myself.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My safari who wants more…….’ is closed to new replies.