• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • My roof is leaking. Advice on quote
  • keppoch

My bathroom roof is leaking. Rubbish.

There has been an issue there before and someone ‘fixed’ it but a more minor leak persists and has shown itself by bubbling up the paint in the bathroom wall. In heavy rain a dripping noise can also be heard.

The house is a south Wales terrace and the bathroom is a separate roof perpendicular to the main house. It is not big say 5x4m. It is an original part of the house though. Like these:

Similar roofs

I have had a roofing firm come to give a quote. My friend works in property and showed them the issue. They come recommended and did a good inspection and have quoted for the work. I am happy to pay for the right job but no idea what cost I should have been expecting so wanted to canvas opinion on whether the price is about right. They have offered two quotes:

1. Replace the annex roof £1680 ex VAT

2. Repair the issues around that section £1260 ex VAT

Do these costs sound OK or should I seek further quotes? Planning to go for the replacement at this point as the difference is not that huge.

Quote details:

https://goo.gl/photos/xFHfrabd3w9v3nVA7

https://goo.gl/photos/hCoqrRRLiRmgQ6tX9

craigxxl
    Free Member

Sounds a fair price and comparable with my re-roof last year. If you’ve got a good roofer they are worth paying a little extra for in case you get some cheaper quotes from unknowns. Roofers can be shockingly bad as my neighbour found out having his roof replaced just after we’d done ours and saved himself just short of a thousand on mine. From day one they were a bunch of Cowboys taking much longer than our job had and looked messy after it was complete. Needless to say lots of problems afterwards and ended up using my roofer to fix it which cost more him much than he’d saved.

scaredypants

My advice on a quote is, get in quick – there’ll be a few leaky houses next week

DT78
    Free Member

Sounds a lot to me. Same type of house bathroom roof leaked. £850 insurance job to repair the fire break and some tiles also included reprinting bathroom roof, wall and insulation. To replace the lot was £1300. Small local firm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘My roof is leaking. Advice on quote’ is closed to new replies.