Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • My Rebas went pop!
  • Rickos
    Free Member

This is more to confirm I’ve been a dur-brain.

Got some Rebas off here and was just setting them up for me yesterday after fitting to a bike I’m slowly building up. So, emptied out both -ve and +ve chambers and then proceeded to pump up the -ve side to around 100psi. There was a pop sound at about 80 or 90psi and I thought “Ooh, I wonder what that was?” (See, dur-brain – 🙄 )
    Flipped it over and filled the +ve side and as I got to around 80psi the pump gauge would drop back in pressure.

So, can someone confirm my suspicion that I’ve popped the seal between the positive and negative sides? And, yes, I know, I should have filled the positive side first and if I’d bothered to wait 2 minutes I could have worked it out.
    What prognosis then? Got to send a shock to LoCo this week, so looks like he’s probably getting some Rebas too.

Dur-brain out…

br
    Free Member

And, yes, I know, I should have filled the positive side first and if I’d bothered to wait 2 minutes

🙄

Rickos
    Free Member

Aye, hence the dur brain bit. But any idea what’s likely to have happened? Have I just turned them into solo air with the 2 chambers auto balancing?

Rickos
    Free Member

So, none of the weekend slackers done this and can tell me what I’ve done for sure?

Mintman
    Free Member

So, none of the weekend slackers done this

No chance, always inflate positive first! Still, hindsight’s a beautiful thing.

I think there’s a rubber seal held in place by an internal circlip that separates the chambers so that’s probably failed.

If you download the maint manual from the rockshox website you’ll be able to identify the components that could be at fault.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think there’s a rubber seal held in place by an internal circlip that separates the chambers so that’s probably failed.

Not strictly correct. The whole air cartridge is held together with one circlip and all the gubbins and seals are inside. 🙂
    It wouldn’t take long to fix if you knew what you wee doing and had the tools. I doubt there’s any permanent damage but I find it slightly odd they popped anyway. Hey ho. If you’re anywhere near Farnborough, Hants, I’ll gladly have a look at them for you. Email in profile. 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Seeing as you’re going to open them up, you might as well get one of these and replace the o-rings at the same time

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-Reba-Race-O-rings-Seals-Crush-Washer-kit-/181061779320?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2a281f7f78&_uhb=1

mrmo
    Free Member

managed to get a set to pop, stripped them, changed the o rings and they are fine.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Popped my revs yesterday when landing a jump. Forks not been serviced for a while so it’s likely just wear and tear n the o rings. I doubt very much that your pop was due to you filling the neg chamber first. Probably would have happened sooner or later.

svalgis
    Free Member

Yeah, pretty sure I’ve filled the negative chamber on the Reba I used to have more than once before reading that you should always fill the positive first (for performance reasons, never heard anything about it actually being harmful).

hairyscary

I did the same to a set of Jo’s Revelations 😳 Stripped and rebuilt them with original bits and everything was fine.

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks people. Unfortunately I don’t have the time or wherewithal to sort them myself, so LoCo it is.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘My Rebas went pop!’ is closed to new replies.