Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • My proposed Crosslight Pro 6 Build – what do you think?
  • organic355
    Free Member

So I am about pull the trigger on the Kinesis crosslight pro 6 frame in white.

I also quite fancy the SRAM APEX groupset which is the bottom of range SRAM Road set no less, I wanted to go SRAM RED but it is gonna be my commuter too so cheaper to replace bits, and it comes in White!!

– minus the brakes and get Avid BB7 mech disc brakes in black or would silver be better?:

Also I may as well continue the white theme in the pedals too so either

XTR trail pedals

or cheaper M520s:

All in all a very sensible colour choice for a commuter bike thats gonna get covered in mud/winter road crud eh and the occasional bit of mud when offroad? LOL!

The only bits that will be useable from my current bike are the drop bars, stem, and maybe saddle (until I get a better/white ones!)

So need some disc wheels and some tyres…. White tyres too much? 😀

what wheel set would you recommend?

May do white cabling too, or maybe carbon effect or silver.

So what do you think to the spec and colour scheme (or lack of it)?

think it will look quite fresh and clean (for a few weeks anyway).

usual responses expected so fire away……

karnali
    Free Member

i have the cotic 700c disc wheels on my cross commuter very pleased with them, if i had the money i would have some stans disc only 29 er rims built onto light disc hubs

Shandy
    Free Member

I have been looking at building one of these with 105 (personal preference). I can’t quite make my mind up about the wheels, I don’t know if I want the clicking from a Pro2 on a cross/winter road bike and I would prefer rims with no braking surface. JRA have some Velocity rims with no braking surface, but they are 36h. Crests are an option but I would probably want to be able to run 28 road tyres as an option, which might be too small for the Crests.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Have you shopped around for the drivetrain? I got Rival bits for Apex money when I built up my Pro6.

For wheels, I’d recommend Hope Hoops (Pro IIs with Stans 29er). Not terribly cheap but I am running mine tubeless with regular Maxxis CX tyres – ace for low pressure without the punctures. If it is that or a custom build, you would probably find better value with the pre-built Hope 29ers. And yes, white tyres would be too much!

I’m not sure you get a choice of colour on the road BB7s do you? I could be wrong though.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

White frame, black components.

organic355
    Free Member

I’m not sure you get a choice of colour on the road BB7s do you? I could be wrong though.

I think you are right there I was looking at the MTB versions, silver it is then.

They wont be on the bike long anyway, as soon as hydraulic road brakes are out I will get them, so also not too fussed about having SRAM Apex levers either.

Whats the main difference between APEX and Rival?

organic355
    Free Member

White frame, black components.

borings!!! I am going for the stormtrooper bike look!!!

organic355
    Free Member

And yes, white tyres would be too much!

rims & hubs then? 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

They are not XTR pedals, they are Deore Trails.

As for the brakes it has to be black. Don’t introduce silver as a third colour and spoil the B/W theme.

organic355
    Free Member

As for the brakes it has to be black. Don’t introduce silver as a third colour and spoil the B/W theme.

agree but dont think Ive got a choice. Road BB7’s only come in silver/platinum

wwaswas

I am going for the stormtrooper bike look!!!

*sucks air through pursed lips and shakes head*

organic355
    Free Member

Whats the main difference between APEX and Rival?

apparently its just the levers alloy or carbon.

Quite tempted to go for the SRAM force chainset instead….

slowclimb
    Free Member

I have just got a lovely white CX bike too and agree its the only colour to have!: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3366938256608.2163329.1363727371&type=3

Shandy
    Free Member

For wheels, I’d recommend Hope Hoops (Pro IIs with Stans 29er). Not terribly cheap but I am running mine tubeless with regular Maxxis CX tyres – ace for low pressure without the punctures.

What rim/tyre combination are you using? Have you tried any road tyres on there?

organic355
    Free Member

slowclimb, any pictures of the full bike?

wwaswas

I just bought this as a full bike;

I prefer a bit of black finishing kit on a white frame, personally.

cp

pixelmix
    Free Member

What rim/tyre combination are you using? Have you tried any road tyres on there?

I’ve had the Crests run with Maxxis Raze since new – run tubeless with just a length of yellow tape, and also briefly with a tube in at one point. No issues at all, and they sealed up fairly easily.

Not tried road tyres as I decided to get a proper road bike. I’m sure you would be fine with 28mm or so though although you’ll want to be careful not to ding the rims. When I asked the same question a while back (when I was considering using my CX bike as a road bike too), I was pointed here

organic355
    Free Member

want one even more now:

[video]http://vimeo.com/31864242[/video]

slowclimb
    Free Member

organic355 – stupidly I didn’t take any 🙁 I was too busy faffing about.
    I will take some but now its been out a few times and will never be that clean again!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have the Apex gruppo – its good vfm but I would suggest you might have to replace the front mech – its awful – 2 months of tinkering resulted in replacing it with a Shimano Ultegra SL – set it up in 5 mins and shifts beautifully 🙂

flip
    Free Member

Heres mine (again…) I love it! mine has 105 levers, mechs, bb7’s and cx70 chainset.

And Open pro on Hope hubs.

organic355
    Free Member

flip where did you get frame and how much?

are you please you went with the white and not the black or red?

flip
    Free Member

flip where did you get frame and how much?

are you please you went with the white and not the black or red?

Fatbirds round about last December. It was the last 51 in the country i believe.

White is the fastest colour 😉 apart from red, just wanted a white bike, i think it looks ace.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Organic355 – if I’ve done this properly this should be a photo of my bike:
    cx by stu_laidlaw, on Flickr

organic355
    Free Member

looks good, I like that its got the green too, more than just black and white.

I am thinking of accenting mine with little bits of red.

how do white grips hold up?

slowclimb
    Free Member

They seem alright so far, I’ve only been out about 10 times on it. It has been pretty manky a few times and they are still okay though. I like them so hope they do clean up alright!

PaulD
    Free Member

Get some extra brake levers for the bars….see the link.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27933

Simply brilliant on any road/cross/drop-bar bike.

Get them before you build it…the cables need threading and extra pieces of outers with sealed ferrules too.
    Not to mention the bar tape.

PaulD

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

PaulD – Member

Get some extra brake levers for the bars….see the link.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27933

Simply brilliant on any road/cross/drop-bar bike.

Get them before you build it…the cables need threading and extra pieces of outers with sealed ferrules too.
    Not to mention the bar tape.

PaulD

why?

Most people I know have removed them.

PaulD
    Free Member

Riding on the road you will be using the top of the bars and have to make a stretch to grab the brakes….these leave things just where you need them.
    I’ve ridden for over 40 years and these are simply too good to miss on a drop-bar bike.
    Nearly makes it into a hybrid.
    That is not a bad thing.
    Given they need to be fitted at the build stage, I reckon you need to try some urgently.
    I am in Wokingham….you are welcome to try my road bike with them.

PaulD

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘My proposed Crosslight Pro 6 Build – what do you think?’ is closed to new replies.