Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • My "pet" grass snake…
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…is an amazing killing machine

(Ok not a pet, just lives somewhere in the garden)

Dispatched two frogs this week – once in a manner that would make Usain Bolt happy. God it moved fast. Other times just lies still and then shoots off before I can get my camera.

Amazing sight recently with it lying motionless with frog stuck between its jaws.

Just a bit concerned about an encounter with the dogs – 😯 – and me as I generally walk around bare footed!

Seen it twice in past three days – must be enjoying the unusually warm weather

alanf
    Free Member

Dog snake interface is not good as we found out near Baslow edge.
    The dog in his infinite wisdom, decided to stick his nose in a vipers nest (well he sniffed out an Adder (Common viper)) and got his just deserts – a pair of fangs in his lip.
    Much giggling ensued when his lip swelled up, then panic as we realized we needed to get him to a vet.
    The outcome was a nights stay in the vets, much running around for anti venom and a nice 1000 quid bill for the effort.
    Be glad it’s just a grass snake or make sure your insurance is up to date!
    Oh and they move like lightening, as you already know!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Aware of adder risk – loads on heathland near us where we walk dogs. Not sure about grass snakes. So far dogs missed the grass snake- thanks in part to my diversion tactics.

Dont mention insurance – current in-house debate!!

maccruiskeen

and me as I generally walk around bare footed!

You need some safety boots – but not these ones

globalti
    Free Member

I had a couple of encounters with sand vipers when I worked as a walking leader in the French Alps, on the first occasion an elderly member of one of the early season groups managed to get bitten. On the second occasion I saw what looked like a dead one coiled up on a tree stump, looking like an electric cooker element; I prodded it with a stick and it moved, I jumped about 6 feet backwards. My client refused the serum and survived fine but a small dog would probably die.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

What this thread needs is PICs (OIDH)!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

i wish – snake far too fast for me to get camera. Really missed the opportunity with the frog in the mouth shot!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If your dog catches a grass snake you might wish it was an adder. Grass snakes’ defence mechanism is to release the most ‘orrible niff known to man. My Jack Russell loves it and will spend a while rolling on the snake before she kills it.
    It takes a few days to wash out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘My "pet" grass snake…’ is closed to new replies.