• This topic has 30 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • My Nexus 5 is slowly dying, what to replace it with?
  • IHN

It’s been great, had it since 2013 so not a bad lifespan as these things go, but it’s starting to show signs that it’s getting to the end of it’s life (battery barely makes it through the day, generally just starting to feel a bit stutter)

No great rush as it’s fairly minor stuff and there’s life in it for a few months yet I reckon, but what to replace it with when it inevitably gives up the ghost?

I like the size, no need for anything bigger. 32gb storage ideally. Ideas? Oh, and I’d be buying it outright probably.

Dolcered

I changed the battery in mine. worth a go at under a tenner.

Dolcered

duplicate.

solamanda
    Free Member

Look at the Motorola Moto G range. The G4 I have is much better than the Samsung S4 it replaced and has unmodified android OS so will feel similar to a Nexus. They perform far better than the price suggests.

IHN

Dolcered – Member

I changed the battery in mine. worth a go at under a tenner.

Yeah, thought about this. Is it easy enough? Any special tools (other than tiny screwdrivers I assume)?

chrssmale
    Free Member

You can get a battery on Ebay for about a tenner. Its a quick job to replace. I’ve just upgraded to the 5x as I broke the screen (again) (32gb for £200 on ebay) and although its good, the camera is great. I don’t think its too much an improvement on the original. Its slightly bigger than the 5 and I still wish for a better battery.

However, in a few months the next Nexus phones should be released. Could be good to wait.

The Oneplus 3 also looks good for the money, though I always like the quick updates Nexus phones get.

Edit: The battery is easy to replace, stick a bank card in the side and wiggle around to pry apart. Then just take 6 screws out and swap over, the battery is lightly glued in place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Went from the 5 to the 6p, bigger but better and hardly notice a downside to the size

willard

Hmmmmm. I was looking at a Nexus 5 for a project (something about that size and with bluetooth and GPS).

If you fancy selling it on when you get the new one…

slackboy

Nexus 5x? thats what I did when my nexus 5 cracked the other week. fingerprint scanner is surprisingly handy

If you can live with 16Gb carphohne warehouse have it for £169 today SIM free.

If it doesn’t need replacing just yet then I’d hang fire to see what the new Nexus looks like.

oneplus 3 also looks pretty good but I’m struggling to see the point of paying £300 + for a phone when thew lower level phones are so good now

orena45

Replaced my Nexus 5 with a Nexus 5X. Was very happy with the 5 and the 5X is essentially the same just a little bigger outside (not noticeably much) and updated on the inside. Very happy with it.

IHN

If it doesn’t need replacing just yet then I’d hang fire to see what the Nexus looks like

Yeah, I think I might do that along with changing the battery.

Any recommendations for decent battery suppliers on eBay? I’m sure a search for Nexus 5 Battery will bring back about a squazillion different ones…

If you fancy selling it on when you get the new one…

Noted 🙂

Dolcered

I bought a kit at £2.99! if you have a guitar pick, tiny screwdrivers its easy enough. I followed a 6 min youtube video. The battery is glued in, takes a bit of effort to remove it, but worth trying.

Mine was shutting itself down, when I finally changed it, was like being new. A reset doesn’t go amiss.

cp

A finger nail and tiny screwdriver is all you need to do the battery on an n5. Very easy!

jeffl

5x here. Quite happy with it apart from the fact that it no fits in the phone pocket of my camelback. Oh and fingerprint scanner is great for unlocking it.

bails

I replaced my Nexus 4 with a Wileyfox Swift which I’m very happy with.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I replaced mine with a S7Edge, don’t really miss the pure Androidness of the N5 but I do miss rooting and system wide ad blocking, although the over a day of use more than makes up for it.

I replaced the battery in mine, it’s dead easy but all of the batteries out there are fakes.

I’d get a one plus 3

jekkyl

An Iphone, the best 2nd hand one you can afford.

SammyC
    Free Member

I have a fubared 5 (screen and all internal connectors you can have for nowt. I assume the battery will be fine in it as it was only a year old when I broke it.

Email should be in profile

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Another Nexus 5 from the early days here, so far it’s had a replacement earpiece and a battery, they’re very easy to open up and work on. It also has a cracked screen, a cracked lense and a busted volume switch but I can live with those!

For buying a new battery from ebay I went for one within the UK as you should get it quicker and there’s a slightly better chance you might be able to return it or get a refund if there is a problem.

robowns
    Free Member

Just ordered a OnePlus 3 having seen my brothers; looks a decent phone as far as phones go.

nuke

Very impressed with the two Nexus 4 we have and they’re still going strong but Oneplus is where our money is going now and so in addition to the two Nexus 4 we’ve a Oneplus One and just got a Oneplus 3. If the Nexus 4 do die in the near future, we’d probably go with the similar sized Oneplus X if they’re still available

cheers_drive

I’ve had a Oneplus 3 for a week, great phone, nice build quality and oxygen is nice and clean. Only issue is the hotspot won’t work properly.

cp

Just ordered a OnePlus 3 having seen my brothers; looks a decent phone as far as phones go.

They’re bloody brilliant, I got one for the other half…. then ordered one for me a couple of days later!!

chvck
    Free Member

I broke my Nexus 5 so went back to my old Nexus 4, that then broke itself. On a Moto G3 now as the price was decent and I’m happy with it. It’s a bit bigger than I’d wanted but it’s not so bad.

I would have got a OnePlus 3 if it wasn’t for Oxygen as there were a few issues and it wasn’t open source so the community couldn’t patch it. Oxygen is now being open sourced though 🙂

edhornby

(typical stw recommend what you have)

I have a Huwaei P8lite and it’s a bargain if you get it from carphone warehouse on their ID service

Russell96

Wileyfox Storm for me, 5.5 inch screen, 32Gig of storage, dual SIM or use the second place for a memory card instead, runs Cyanogenmod as standard so no bloatware and plenty of free storage space left, only downside for me is that it doesn’t have NFC but when you can pick it up for £179…

cp

For info, this is the battery I bought, which appears to be genuine LG. It looks exactly the same as the one which came out, and certainly lasts very well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181829616883

noltae
    Free Member

I’ve never had much luck with new batteries – I’ve replaced them in the past and still found the handset in question ran low on juice almost as fast as before – planned obsolescence.. Funny how a phone starts playing up soon after your out of contract – I’ve experienced this on most handsets ..

nbt

Does the 5X take a MicroSD card? reports are conflicting – carphoe wwarehouse site says it does, but some reviews say it doesnt.

cp

Does the 5X take a MicroSD card

nope.

nbt

cheers. not for me then

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘My Nexus 5 is slowly dying, what to replace it with?’ is closed to new replies.