Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • my new toy. Spitfire
  • Sui
    Free Member

breadcrumb

Very nice.

mallorcadave
    Free Member

I hate you
    Damn thats nice

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikeneil
    Free Member

I was hoping to see a WW2 plane.

mactheknife

Damn you Sui, i am on tenderhooks waiting for mine, heard a wee buzz it might be next week.

Beauty of a bike. 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. My first new bike for about 7 years, I’ve ported some stuff over (brakes, wheels, cranks, grips, pedals) but everything else New. I’ve just picked it up, will have its maiden voyage tomorrow either at FOD or Afan.

Spitfire Large
    Renthal Duo Stem
    Renthal Fatbar lite
    Pike RCT 3 150 650b flavour
    Reverb stealth
    King Headset

Hope Pro II hubs
    EN721 Rims
    Saint Brakes
    ONEUP 42t conversion
    Saint shifter

Still running 26wheels.

devash
    Free Member

Love the colour.

AlexSimon

Looks ace!
    I’m having a demo at Dalby this Sunday.
    Really looking forward to it.

seavers
    Free Member

Tidy bike and a tidy garden. Get you!

Seriously tho, looks like a hoot to ride. Enjoy your first ride!

granny_ring

Nice looking bike. The bars clash tho. 😉
    Black carbon ones maybe……?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Sorry son, but without 4 Browning .303’s, its just not up to the job…

Sui
    Free Member

Carbon , me…… I don’t think so….. (maybe one day)

The garden is low maintenance for a reason, I’ll mow the lawn but that’s it… more time for bike..

I hope to F,,k I like it tomorrow, as I’ve bought something I’ve never ridden…!

Sui
    Free Member

It’s going back in next week for some fine detail (New hub bearings, brake hose change and maybe smaller rear rotor)

dannyh
    Free Member

That’s a beaut of a bike, fella!

sprocker
    Free Member

That’s nice, I have a new prime in the garage to build up 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

Looks good buddy, love the colour. It was a shame they dropped it from the Rune options just before I bought mine. I’m sure you’ll love it, I love my Rune it rides really really well.

What setting is the head angle? My Rune is in its slackest setting now and it’s ace, really stable.

trevron73
    Free Member

Very nice bike looks a top build , enjoy the ride out 😆

chiefgrooveguru

Nice! 66.5 degrees HA like that.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Doh….should have paid more attention to the pics!

How do these ride in the slack setting?

Sui
    Free Member

Cheers chief, all I’ve done so far is adjust sag, that’s about it. No idea what settings the drop outs are in yet. Tomorrow will be fact finding day .

Sui
    Free Member

Meh, you can tell from pics…..? 😯

mindmap3
    Free Member

Yes. Yours in the neutral position (flip chips with bolts in the middle), bolts at the top and It’s slack, bolts at the bottom and it’s in the high position.

I love my Rune and am now on a full on Banshee fan boy!

Sui
    Free Member

Oh I see, not even looked at those yet, I’m more of an “adapt to ride” person, though I promise to pay attention in class…

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Best colour, same as mine 😀 you’ll love it

Yeah it’s set in the neutral setting, I’ve not tried mine in the slack yet but will do at some point in the next week or two

mindmap3
    Free Member

I was quite surprised at how much difference half a degree makes…it felt very stable last night. The bb is bloody low though.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

knots in your fence need aligning and your shock’s on backwards.

is it bedtime yet?

‘phat whip’ btw

duir
    Free Member

I really like the straight round tubes and box section rear triangle…………….exactly the same as a Nicolai.

Love bikes that are designed by engineers and not marketing men.

nuke

Looks lovely…want

Can’t have yet; no mediums until August iirc 🙁

chiefgrooveguru

I’d leave it neutral for a while, set the shock sag (seated) to 28% (I think that’s 14.5mm – it’s not 28% of the shock travel because it’s a progressive linkage) and the fork sag (standing) to 25%, set the shock damping to the recommended base tune, wind on about 4 clicks of LSC on the fork and set the rebound to taste (you can go slower than usual because the rebound control only affects the first chunk of travel) – and then ride it lots! There is a scary amount of tweakery so if you start fiddling only change one parameter at a time or you will get very confused…

I’m very happy with the shock at 30% sag and one extra turn of HSR. I’ve added one bottomless token to the Pike and still sussing out the ideal fork settings for me – I’m preferring more sag (mine are the 160mm 27.5s) and more LSC. Neutral dropouts for my local riding because there’s a lot of pedalling out of corners and it’s very slack feeling with the bigger forks and wheels. But it’s all about how you ride!

matther01
    Free Member

Very very nice…but white grips?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Loving the brake hoses, front should fit 250mm travel forks when they come out and the rear will fit an XXXL frame should you grow some more.

Sui
    Free Member

I know I know, they are one of the things that need doing, build.was rushed as it is needed today..

Sui
    Free Member

Well I thought is give a little update.

Yesterday a friend and I made our way to Wales with no fixed destination. About half way down the M4 another friend of ours was at BPW and had managed to blag 2 extra uplift passes, so our new destination was put in the Sat Nav and away we went. ANYWAY THE BIKE. One word, brilliant. Coming from the gspot, this thing felt like a Rolls Royce on the trails. I made some fine adjustments as mentioned above, and the tracking was sublime, yet still a good pop to it. One thing I noticed is its fantastic weight balance, in the air it was easy to control, with no unexpected nose dives or front end rockets. It more than coped with some fairly rocky trailsa a good lick, but excelled on the swooping flowy blues. I did find some of its limits on the gaps with a rear end blow out, though a little more commitment would have had a better result, though this isn’t a down hill bike it still showed the big bouncy bikes it was up for a fight. From bikes of old it was a revelation!

jagertom
    Free Member

That bike looks awesome. Given that you’re running the 650B fork, which rear dropouts are you using, 26 or 650b?

Sui
    Free Member

I’m still on the 26″ drop outs – there’s loads of room in there still. Some folks have been running 650b’s in them, but it can get a big snug with anything over 2.2i hear.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Glad that you’re enjoying it. If it’sanuthing like my Rune, it’ll be a very, very capable bike.

My Rune did really well at Antur yesterday – the slack setting makes it feel like an absolute bomber of a bike. I did catch the pedals a couple of times, but the bike felt like it had a good work out! Can’t wait to get back to BPW in a couple of weeks time.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘my new toy. Spitfire’ is closed to new replies.