Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • My new (to me) Jones
  • singletracksurfer

Nice. I love my Jones loop bars and want them on my other bikes now, but they are expensive – so what are the bars on this?

miranmtb
    Free Member

Jones Bend H-Bar maybe

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

DBW.
    I bet you’d be faster on the Jones than your rigid bike…

I expect I would be – my rigid bike has 1 gear and skinny tyres. I use it, like the OP, for something different. Apart from ‘different’ means my knee caps popping out my legs and my wrists feeling like they’ve been smashed to pieces with a hammer.

As much as I love it, I think its time with me is coming to an end….

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Your wrists won’t be smashed to pieces with theJones geometry, fat front/H bar combo, I promise you 😉

zinaru
    Free Member

Great bike OP

Jones with fat front here also. my 29/29+ front wheel is gathering dust in the 18 months I’ve have the fat front option.

i did a fair bit asking around before i pushed the button on the set up. the advice i got is that the bud can twist on the rim a bit (being very grippy) and being so massive especially at very low pressure on the ‘narrow’ darryl. not good. clearance is pretty tight on the truss as well.

i went for a nate on a darryl and its absolutely perfect for me. I’ve went from being totally obsessed by pressure to previous bikes to once every month or two noting the tyre is slightly too soft and top it up. its at around 7-9psi if my gauge is working.

i know these bikes always attract comments, i was distracted for the first 6 months by its weird looking ways but, its now my only bike and far and away the most fun and capable bike I’ve ever been on.

birdage

It’s a blast riding the Jones though I’d love to try some truss forks, got the unicrown. Like the above I’m thinking it’s time for gears,8 of them, more for the flats than anything else. I’ve got a Chronicle on a P35 and it’s brilliant, fast and more than enough cushion for my skinny wrists, Knard on a rabbit hole by comparison felt heavier uphill and poorer in handling. Never felt the desire to go fat as I just imagine it’ll be heavier and more draggy. Obviosuly I’m wrong about this!

Denis99
    Free Member

As much as I wanted the 4.8 Bud front tyre to fit, the clearance on the front fork stays is just too tight.

I have removed the tyre and put it up for sale in the classifieds. Raining here again in sunny South Wales, so I took the time to clear up all the remains of the tyre sealant, not the nicest job, but complete now.

Out tomorrow regardless of the weather.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Obviosuly I’m wrong about this!

Yup 😉

Denis99
    Free Member

Had my first ride on the Jones today.

Here are my scattered thoughts.

This is using the 29+ front end with the Surly Knard front tyre, which was pretty good, but once I get the fat front end sorted I can see this wheel being sold.

Very comfortably geometry, you are sat further back on the bike with less weight on your wrists and leaning forward. As a result the saddle might need a little more thought, as you are now sat more upright.

Climbing, I’m not the fastest in the world, but it does feel easier ( maybe not faster), this again might be down to the more upright position and having more weight over the back wheel.

Bars are very comfortable, seem to be in a very natural position with respect to the wrists.

Obviously not as fast on the downs, and needs a slightly different approach to remember to put your weight a little more to the rear and let the front end go a little light, very easy to do in practice.

I like it.

Will definitely switch to the fat front end though , as I need a little more cushion effect.

Still early days, and the bike does handle differently, need more time on it to be more confident as it does ride very differently to anything I have ridden. But I can see that given time and a bit more confidence this will be a whole lot of fun.

Just to add, my fitness levels are very low at the moment, had food poisoning about a month ago ( which took two weeks to get over), and then had a shoulder injury that hasn’t helped.

Did enjoy getting out on the bike today, and that is what matters the most.
    Regards

Denis

jools182
    Free Member

Jones bikes look like right contraptions

No, I haven’t ridden one, I’m sure they are lovely

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Bud on 72mm rim for the past two winters, absolutely no problem with clearance on the truss fork. Narrower rims give a better profile. Pressure was 7.5psi – I am quite light though 😉 rolls better than a Nate, twice as grippy and you can run lower pressures, win, win, win! Jumbo Jim for spring, summer and autumn, even faster rolling, light and still nice and grippy.

Denis99
    Free Member

I think it’s the rim that is widening the Surly Bud.

The Darryl rim is 80mm, think it is widening the tyre footprint, which is causing the very close clearance.

john_l
    Free Member

Just popped a Panaracer Fat B Nimble on the front of mine. Supposed to be 29×3 but comes more like 2.8, which I actually think will be quite good – it’s light (770gms ish) & the tread looks v good & nice grippy compound.

Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Never tried a full fat front. If anyone wants to swap their fat front wheel for a 29″ Blunt 35/Whub let me know.

jameso

It only gets better as you get more used to it Denis : )
    Tempted with a Panaracer 3.0 for my Jones based on the way they’re said to come up a bit small. Jeff rides the full fat front mostly I think, says a lot of good things about it, but it’s rare I get to ride trails anything like that and certainly nowhere near as fast / skilled as he is. I really like the 2.4 Ardents on it though, feels so agile and quick on the singletracks. Had it 4+ years now and the fun-value of the ride just doesn’t fade.

wwaswas

Anyone contemplating a switch to a fat front, I’ve just built a 150mm front Hope hub into a light bicycle 65mm carbon rim and it’s 500g lighter than a standard on-one front wheel that I’d previously drilled.

martinh
    Free Member

I have the older narrower truss fork and while the Knard fitted it was a close fit. The Fat B Nimble has masses of clearance and a very sticky compound

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden one but I was followed by somebody on one at Drumlanrig years ago. What a racket. Luckily he stopped when we got to the first rooty bit and I never saw him again. Probably nothing to do with the bike he was probably a gob shite before he bought it.

Denis99
    Free Member

Got the fat front wheel up and running just now. Took me quite a while but did everything slowly and methodically.

New Surly rim tape, rim cleaned of all previous residue. Followed the link below as it seemed to make a lot of http://cyclesinlife.com/tubeless-fatbike-conversion-update/

The tyre I fitted was a Maxxis Mammoth 26 x 4, and has good clearance.

The tyre seated with the inner tube in no problem, took the tube out and inflated with my Airshot can and went up straight away.

I used a track pump to inflate to 25 psi and it stayed inflated without any major leaks for one hour.

Deflated, added Stans liquid, pumped back up and rode about for 10 minutes to circulate the liquid.

I’m leaving at pressure overnight, but there is no seepage at the bead sections on the tyre / rim so far.

Hopefully everything will still be at pressure in the morning, drop the pressure to 8 ish psi and go ride.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘My new (to me) Jones’ is closed to new replies.