Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • My new (to me) 29er HT
  • mboy
    Free Member

Bought this off another forumite recently, and personalised it a bit (new forks, wheels, 11spd groupset etc.) and tried it out at Degla over the weekend.

Anyway, so far so good… Aside from the flat pedals that is (necessitated at the moment by a dodgy knee, not ridden flats properly in about 7 years and have lost a lot of the skills!)… Surprisingly light at 27lb pictured, and seems to be up for some abuse. Frame is quite stiff though so may look to fit a bigger rear tyre whilst its dry, and though I thought I’d never say this about a 29er HT, it feels like it needs the fork travel raising to 140mm!

woodster

Looks great! I do like the proportions of a nice 29 hardtail.

Could maybe use a touch of green ano to tie in the decals if you’re tarty.

matt_outandabout

Your helmet straps don’t match the frame logos

Good looking bike.

*edited for CFH, I shall whip myself with a birch as penance*

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

frame logo’s

OP, nice bike.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

cfh he’s quite right, the helmet straps in no way match the straps that hold the logo to the frame.

[Edit] nor possibly the straps of said logo’s helmet but I lack the evidence to support the latter, matt may not.

Cheezpleez

Ahem, plural’s.

Nice bike, OP.

garage-dweller

Nice bike.

However, the grass in your driveway needs watering and good grief man get that scrap/abandoned car taken away by the council it can’t be helping the lawn situation and is h just unsightly 😛

mboy
    Free Member

No more green on it I’m afraid… In fact, was tempted to rattle can black the frame for a shabby chic stealth look… 😛

Will be sure to mention to the guys at Degla that their car park isn’t up to STW forum standards next time I’m there, and as for the hunk of silver metal behind it… Well that’s got a stay of execution for now as I only just purchased that too!

NormalMan

Certainly won’t hear any complaints from me over the choice of a 29er HT (or the motor) 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

I just picked up the steel brother to this (Honzo) and am finding it similarly fun

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers Normal Man, feels good to be back in a Beemer too after a few years…

thepodge, was tempted by the Honzo, but ultimately put off by the weight. How does it ride? Do you notice the frame’s bulk?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Looks ok I guess mboy, I just finished putting my new to me 29er together (first proper off-road ride in over 3 years) need to hook up and ride and drink coffee again soon

acsevens

Looks lovely. My taro snapped and kona have just told me they won’t warranty it (the ****) but I absolutely loved it before that, and will be on the look out for another.

z1ppy

What reason did they give acsvens? And where did it break, as the Kona taro currently top of my 29er HT list

acsevens

Cracked at the top of the seat tube. Kona said the seatpost wasn’t inserted enough. It was! They weren’t interested though, pretty disappointing.

Mine was a 2014. They apparently changed the design last year, seems to be a few stories on the net about the earlier models cracking at the seatpost – I would imagine smaller frames would be less prone it, mine was an xl.

z1ppy

It was an xl & they said the post want inserted enough? Not being funny, but unless you have REALLY long legs, Shirley that’s not possible? Poor form especially for a known fault

acsevens

Haha no, normally proportioned! Poor form indeed. I’d have probably been tempted by a ti honzo if they’d have done the decent thing as well!

onehundredthidiot

My new 29 HT, going rigid at some point.

mboy
    Free Member

glad to hear you’re back in the game lookmanohands, road bikes serve a purpose, but mountain biking is a lot more fun!

sorry to hear about your Taro acsevens, had heard a few snapped but had also heard of people running barely any seatpost in the frame. My Reverb is inserted a good 3-4″ above the minimum insertion marker on this medium frame, will cross my fingers firmly though.

bol

What happened to your Sync Mboy?

mrblobby
    Free Member

So like that, good to see Kona making nice bikes again 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

What happened to your Sync Mboy?

Sold it to another forum member to go towards paying for my full sus earlier this year. I do miss it a little, but I couldn’t afford to keep it and get a new full sus too at the time…

This Kona was supposed to be a relative budget build, but I’m such a fan of the MRP Stage fork and 11spd now, I would have missed either like a hole in the head if I’d fitted lesser parts.

iainc

I have a big scratch behind the fuel cap on my car from sittng the bike like that 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

The 2016 frames are supposed to be lighter, 27lb seems optimistic though

thepodge
    Free Member

mboy – thepodge, was tempted by the Honzo, but ultimately put off by the weight. How does it ride? Do you notice the frame’s bulk?

I’ve gone from a short, 120mm, 26″, Singlespeed with SPDs to a long, 140mm, 29″ 1×10 with flats. Frame bulk is unnoticeable after all the other changes.

superstu
    Free Member

Lovely. Really like the look of these.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘My new (to me) 29er HT’ is closed to new replies.