Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • My new roadie – well chuffed!
  • velocipede
    Free Member

Well, after years of alu and carbon race oriented road bikes, I’ve gone in a different direction….

I’m road riding all year round and have been feeling the need for mudguards with proper coverage, I really hanker after the ride quality of my old steel road bikes of years ago, I like to go reasonably quick (most rides are 17mph plus and 60-70 miles), compacts and triples not required here, and although I did my first road races for over 20 years last year, I’m not really planning to race again for a while…and whenever I’ve had two road bikes, I’ve always gravitated to one and the other is always left hanging in the garage, so purely in the interests of consolidating the collection a bit:

I’ve built this:

Enigma Ethos steel frame in Columbus Life tubing, stainless bits and pieces such as front and rear ends, cable guides and fork crown
    Almost full Ultegra 6700 – RX100 brake callipers to give the extra reach necessary for the guards
    Ksyrium Elite wheels with Michelin Pro4 tyres
    Thomson post
    Prologo Nago saddle
    Dea bars, Cinelli Vai stem
    and yes, some proper SKS guards

It rides beautifully & I’m well chuffed!

The only change I’ve got panned is to ditch the white stem – I’m on the lookout for a red Ritchey WCS in 110mm if anyone’s got one!? I also need to cut the steerer down….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nwqSPr]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nNKqBs]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/nNKr2A]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/nwqTGi]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/nwqdKH]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/nwqcjW]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/nwqagY]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr

hora
    Free Member

Is that the name of themodel or frame builder on the top tube?

bob_summers

That is very pretty indeed, though we are missing a full photo of it!
    If I had one criticism it’d be those ‘carbon’ patches on the head tube… couldn’t you get clear ones?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    breadcrumb

Nice bike.

Is that the name of themodel or frame builder on the top tube?

I’m guessing owner’s name.

I always took a roadie as being the rider not the bike!

velocipede
    Free Member

bob – I should have got clear ones, you’re right….next “upgrade”!

Hora – it’s the name of the owner!!

and I’ve just added a full pic

Kuco

Nice.

davosaurusrex

Very nice indeed. You’re right that the stem needs changing, only other thing is that those Ultegra cranks really don’t blend in with the rest of the bike, partly the swoopy modern looks but mainly the colour. Needs something more simple and elegant in silver IMO.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Just looks, just right, nice job

wwaswas

*likes*

cynic-al
    Free Member

Frame weight?

And its a road bike, you are a roadie.

remoterob
    Free Member

Please don’t put a red stem on that.

velocipede
    Free Member

cynic-al – no idea on weight, I didn’t check before I built it up – probably weighs about 20lbs built up as is (I’ll measure it properly at some point)

Not sure I was expecting to be picked up on my terminology, but fair enough….when our shout goes out for group rides, the question is always asked “roadies or MTB’s?!” so I’ll stick with it for my own purposes thanks!!! 😳

velocipede
    Free Member

That would be a vote for a black one then, remoterob? 😀

butcher

Chainset looks Ok I reckon. Gives it a modern touch, and an air seriousness! Stem defo needs changed. But very nice bike.

remoterob
    Free Member

That would be a vote for a black one then, remoterob?

Black, or silver if you changed to seatpost/mudguards.

Red against black spacers/headset/bar tape would just look a bit odd/Dennis the Menace.

Vortexracing

Lovely that is

congratulations it’s a very nice bike.

If it rides as anywhere near as good as my Enigma Etape, it will be a cracker.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

That’s a proper road bike that, nice.

TiRed

Nice but would look a lot better with 6600 cranks. Can swap a set if you’d like 😉

mooman
    Free Member

It does look nice in an old school fashion.

A nice modern black carbon fork would really do it for me.

boblo
    Free Member

Nice. I like steel 🙂

Agree with the above. Black stem and black or silver cranks. Mebbies a nice pair of Middleburn’s for that industrial chique look 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice that. Though got to agree with the chainset comments, not Shimano’s best looking design.

Expected to see a few comments about the name on the top tube, first reply though!

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for black stem, the red Ritchey one is gopping!

kilo

Nice bike, I like the steel fork and stainless steel bits. Does it only have ones set of bottle cage mounts (can’t really see in the photos)

velocipede
    Free Member

kilo – yes only one set, which is a bit of a drawback!

With all these comments, I’ve completely changed my view on a stem – black it is! I’m thinking a Thomson to match the seat post.

DT78
    Free Member

Looks lovely. Needs a black crankset as well as stem.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

you need a retro chrome crank and a chrome stem and seatpost

therevokid
    Free Member

very, very nice. For the exact same reasons I went Ti, but steel
    is just as real …

Really needs some campag though … #runsaway 🙂

plus-one

Nice work … I’d go all silver on components it looks classy(to me anyway) 😀

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Looks a sweet bike

boblo
    Free Member

I think I would have gone for silver mudguards as well.

remoterob
    Free Member

you need a retro chrome crank and a chrome stem and seatpost

I agree with this, using the Equilbrium 20 as an indicator, but without the white tape/saddle;

velocipede
    Free Member

Intersting that there’s no love for the chain set – I just sold one of my other bikes with a Chorus carbon crankset – which I’d kept that as I think it probably would have looked once on this – never mind!

boblo
    Free Member

Or just ignore the feedback and enjoy your new boik 🙂

Yak

v nice. 🙂

like a posh version of this:

and the red stem doesn’t look good here either. Stick with black.

If you’ve got a strong colour on the frame and forks, then that’s it. Everything else black or silver.

racefaceec90

i like that a lot 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘My new roadie – well chuffed!’ is closed to new replies.