Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • My new motorbike :)
  • bedmaker

Noisy, uncomfortable, skyscraper high, eyeball rattling, kickstart only, 600 mile oil changes, inefficient, barely does the ton on current gearing, no pillion, no rack, no battery, woeful ‘headlight’.

But, I had my first proper warm(ish) dry ride at the weekend, and I really rather like my piggy 🙂

[/url]

Rumble, snort, pop, spit BRAAAAAAAPPPP! Magic.

Vortexracing

In other news, the new licence setup is bollocks!

what is the set-up?

I have had a car licence since 1983, just looked at it, it’s the old pink paper type and I’m sure I’m reading correctly in that it says I can ride a 125cc on L plates.

I will need to have a test for 400cc upward.

am I right or have they changed the rules again?

epicyclo

onewheelgood – Member
    If we’re talking about Guzzis and nice noises…

We used to call them Guzzi Lemons. 🙂 Lovely noises though.

metalheart
    Free Member

Vortex: suggest you look at this…

https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements

I think a car licence from the dark ages allows you to ride a moped but you need L plates for a 125. I think you need a CBT (it wouldn’t be a bad idea whatever). There might also be bhp/kW restrictions now too….

Anything over 125 you need a full licence (I think) anyways. DAS is the way to go (well the way I went)…

Vortexracing

Ta metalheart, I knew I could ride a 125 on L plates, but I thought I didn’t need a CBT to do it, It looks like I was wrong

metalheart
    Free Member

Vortex: my car licence is roughly the same vintage, I just assumed I needed a CBT! It’s only about £100 (which included bike hire, all the gear and insurance for the day) and is good to get you kicked off on the right foot. I know driving a car and riding a push bike all help but there’s still a lot to learn/remember if you’d (like me) not ridden a motorcycle in 25 years. Positioning in the road for motorcycles is different from a push bike, you need to unlearn some habits…

And if you can’t pass a CBT then you really shouldn’t be on the road anyways. All you are really doing is displaying some basic competence, I think it’s a good thing really…

weeksy

Speaking of which, I turned up for my CBT on a ZXR400, fully kitted up. I’d bought it and used insured as my mate for the past 3 months LOL.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Well… if we are going to talk Guzzi and nice noise….

I was supposed to be on it last weekend for the run to Ripon, but alas Italian electrics let me down (turned out to be a badly made fuse, so perhaps not entirely the fault of the Italians!)

Instead I borrowed a BMW R1200R off my brother – very different. Quiet, refined and economical rather than loud, brash and disarmingly fast. The Guzzi would have used somewhat more than the 11l of fuel for 150 miles than the Beemer mind… and wouldn’t have been so handy for keeping pace with a 125… and doesn’t have the heated grips. But it does make up for it with bucket loads of style and character (and grins).

It is working again now though, so will go out for a run if it ever stops raining!

barffy
    Free Member

Mines nowt special, but it is used every day in every weather so no point having anything too nice!

Stoner
    Free Member

I did my DA on an SV 650, Im afraid I cant say I enjoyed the experience 😉

Looking forward to this winter and buying a new project/toy.
    I’ll still keep the 125 Honda scooter for simplicity and efficiency, but a 6-750cc Honda twin is on the cards….

barffy
    Free Member

Preferred my old Bandit but the SV is a good work horse. Like I say it’s a pure commuting tool but not too bad for a bit of fun. Turning circle is shite though so no wonder you had a bad time on DA, clip ons don’t make for good slow speed manoeuvres at all!

I really want an MT-03. I don’t see the purpose of pure sports bikes on road at all, by the time you are out of first you are in license losing territory. Singles and twins are where it at 8)…….or even better two smokes!

winston
    Free Member

Mmmmm Griso….Mmmmmm….Green…..Mmmmmmm…want

Barffy, two people I know were pretty underwhelmed with their MT’3’s once they got past the first few days. Too vibey and underpowered according to both of them and they are not speed freaks

Kato

Love a DRZ!

I just bought this for the commute to work. Pick it up on Sunday! 😀

weeksy

I really want an MT-03

The Xt660x wipes the floor with it. The MT-03 really is a horrible horrible bike to ride

I had one for 3 weeks from Fowlers… I rode it twice… once there…once back… I just couldn’t bring myself to use it unless I had to

barffy
    Free Member

No way they look fun on paper! Never got around to test riding one!

weeksy

Sorry mate. However, that said, the XT660x shares the same engine. But seems to handle a lot better.

In standard trim the XTX is dull too, but I’ve made a fair few mods to mine on the fuelling making about 9-10bhp more with K&N filters, exhausts, power commander and O2 emissions stuff… made it into a brilliant pseudo-supermoto.

I’m not sure if the MT-03 can have the same mods and get the same performance gain.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Here’s mine –

forgotmename
    Free Member

I picked up a nice new Beta Evo factory 300 last week, its nice.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Just taken delivery our new Yam mt-07. Can’t wait until it’s run in for some summer fun

Toasty

How are the newer XT660X’s at low speed? I did ponder one for doing an A2 test but there seemed to be loads of complaints.

On my moaning about the full test, if the trainers bikes aren’t great for any reason, you’re stuffed. I have to get hold of one of the A class bikes off here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/motorcycle-test-vehicle-list/

Completely blindly buy one without test riding, sort insurance without even having a license, then train and do my test on it.

If it were my choice I’d get a taller bike like a VStrom 650, sadly I’d either have to run it restricted forever on an A2 license, or it’s completely out the window for doing the test on due to not being powerful enough.

Might just get a DRZ400, do the A2 test and braaaap around 🙂

weeksy

Toasty,

OK,however not without mods. £50 for o2 gizmo and setting the fuel air mix. Then making sure cush rubbers are all good and they’re fine.

Toasty

Probably not the best bet for trying to do a test on then 🙂 Cheers for the info! It’s deffo one I’ve been eying up!

weeksy

Anywhere near Berks fella? More than welcome to try it. With or without licence @ works massive car park

failedengineer

Mmmm a Griso. A mate has one with a Termigioni can – it sounds fantastic. Mind you, my Bonnie sounds good too, but not as deep as the Griso.
    That Bimota looks good, too.

docstar
    Free Member

Did my direct access on a SV at the start of march and sold my CG125 at the weekend so I’m well on my way to buying my first big bike and was thinking about a SV650, it seems easy on petrol, sounds great and goes well what is not to like? The figure 8’s on my module 1 were tough though.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The Griso has a Zard can on – it is loud… and that is without taking the baffles out!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Figure 8s on any bike with a fairing is hard due the restricted steering lock. SV650 is a good bike but a bit short. If your above average height you may find it a bit cramped on longer rides.

Stoner
    Free Member

If your above average height you may find it a bit cramped on longer rides.

Aye… Im 6’4″ and for my DA picked the riding school’s SV over some kwacker because it was the bigger of the two. But still midget sized 🙂
    And it’s not the most graceful under engine breaking either…

nickhart
    Free Member

Toasty, I test rode an 800gs and it was a lovely thing to ride, a doddle to ride slow in my opinion and nippy as a commuter style thing. It was the vibes that put me off. I ended up with a 53 1150gs which I love to pieces, not fast, not light but damn comfy and remarkably confidence inspiring for someone first big bike! I toy with the idea of going for a 1200gs no and again but enjoy the simplicity of the old bike, no abs, no fuel management, few electronics to go wrong. Maybe one day.
    I think your height will make bike selection awkward but in all honesty you should be able to do the low speed stuff using technique rather than worrying about the bike. Yes some bikes would make it easier but they’re not going to make such a difference.

Toasty

Any opinions on a Versys 650 as a bike for doing a test on? Can be picked up cheap and look like just the sort of thing I’m after.

barffy
    Free Member

Yup SV is fairly small, but im 5′ 5″ so mo issue there. It’s economical, reliable and plenty fast enough if worked hard (anything above 400 cc is going to be, SV is 0-60 < 4 seconds) but a bit gutless on roll on in top at 60. Does everything I want it to for the <10 mile commute each way to work and back. I would recommend it as a great first bike or as an everyday rider. Those Sunday morning sunny dry day type riders who like to stand outside pubs at biker meets in power ranger suits may want to look elsewhere though 😆

metalheart
    Free Member

Toasty – Member
    Any opinions on a Versys 650 as a bike for doing a test on? Can be picked up cheap and look like just the sort of thing I’m after.

According to this is should be fine: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/searchresults/bike-reviews/kawasaki/kawasaki–versys-2006–current/

Even says low speed handling excellent…

Its the same engine as the er6 (which was the bike I trained on) which was fine at low speed. I reckon it would make a good/excellent first bike (but probably one you’d want to replace after a year). I went for a new 650 v-strom myself (but sometimes think I’d have been better off with a cheap older bike for my first, hey ho, its still a great bike).

I’ve not actually ridden one myself ( :mrgreen: ) but I’ve thrown my leg over one in the bike shop (which obviously makes me an internet expert), and its certainly taller than the v-strom.

If its cheap enough I tink you’d be pushed to come up with something significantly better for its purpose.

Toasty

Yeah, I’d pondered an NC700X and V-Strom too. With the other two I’m a bit paranoid about the slow speed parts of the test, tight U turns and things, both are a bit heavier. The Versys comes out a good chunk cheaper than the others as well.

its certainly taller than the v-strom.

The seat is higher, but that’s about it. Much shorter wheelbase.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Not sure if I have missed something… but why are you buying a big bike to do the test on? I would have thought using a schools bike would have been better as they tend to be small, light and easy handling – then buy a bike that is more suitable for your longer term needs afterwards.

I went with a TDM850 for a first big bike, mainly as it was cheap as chips so if I deposited it on the road it wouldn’t really matter too much!

Toasty

I just felt so squished on the schools XJ6’s, I’m 6’6″ with long legs, they’re super low seat height. The instructor admitted he thought I’d be better finding another way. The main thing is the angle it leaves my feet in, it’s awkward shifting up or getting off the brake.

I have to admit, I keep pondering going back there to have another sit on them :/

jools182
    Free Member

Op congrats on the GS or as my brother calls his – the cockentrice 🙂

They do look very similar

superfli
    Free Member

Decided to buy a proper 2×2 cycles mount for the bike, as I’m worried about damaging my bikes in transit+the extra faff:
    http://2x2cycles.com/product/motorcycle-bicycle-rack/

Just waiting on a reply from the manufactures on shipping costs and 15mm+20mm axle suitability.

Took the GS on its 1st decent ride out Thurs lunch time. Only been used for work and back otherwise. I’m learning that its not too slow, just needs you to be more aggressive with the throttle. Its actually quite good fun to ride.
    On another note, my mate was test riding a Ducati Hyperstrada and I had a quick spin. Christ the brakes are sharp! And dont you know it, when you are sat pretty much ON the front wheel! (probably a good thing as it’ll be a right wheelie machine)

weeksy

On another note, my mate was test riding a Ducati Hyperstrada and I had a quick spin. Christ the brakes are sharp! And dont you know it, when you are sat pretty much ON the front wheel! (probably a good thing as it’ll be a right wheelie machine)

Prefer the new Hypermotard myself, especially the riding position etc. But yes, very nice tools. However, the Ducati maintainence and prices do really get on my nerves. I’ve had half a dozen Ducatis and they just get on my nerves when you end up with a £700-1200 bill.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

I really fancy an old school bobber, I’ve not had a bike since my rxs 100 in about 88 so would need to take my test etc but just fancy a mid life crisis bike , there is some pretty cheap jap conversions around that look pretty good apart from eBay anywhere else I could look?

bedmaker

I really fancy an old school bobber

So do I 8)

I couldn’t help myself! Although it helps that it was free – so far. The deal is that if I get it up and running and registered I’ll pay something (no very much) for it then.
    It was taken from Pakistan back to Scotland back in the early 80’s where it was used for a few jaunts and has lain in a garage since then. I’m looking forward to getting it going, not so much to getting it tested…

[/url]
    [/img]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘My new motorbike :)’ is closed to new replies.