Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • My new mid-life crisis bike
  • sharkattack

I spent my youth riding mountain bikes and BMX and being a pretty average dirt jumper. We were spoiled for choice with street spots but skateparks barley existed and we never had a permanent trails spot.

But I haven’t touched a BMX since about 2004. Apart from DH trips to the Alps and the very occasional uplift day I’ve mostly pootled around with the Mrs. in a very sedate fashion.

Now I’ve got a full time job and loads of grey hairs kicking in. But, I have just moved to Sheffield. If I can’t justify a bike like this here then I never will. I’m surrounded by places to ride this kind of bike so I’m going to learn how to pump, jump and stunt from scratch before I’m tool old and stiff and manage it.

I just finished this today. I’m pretty happy with it. It’s the longest dirt specific frame I could find and feels comparable to a proper bike rather than a big BMX so hopefully any skills will be transferrable back to the trails.

It’s my last chance to try and get back some flow back and eventually land a flip. If you see me embarrassing myself at Bolehills or Charnock introduce yourself.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

wilburt
    Free Member

Depends what youre calling ‘mid life’ if your fiftyish I suspect this isnt going to end well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your garden sucks.

Nice bike, though!

carlphillips
    Free Member

2 x thumbs up!!
    really nice bike..

kayak23

Schweet.

sharkattack

Depends what youre calling ‘mid life’

34 😥 Halfway to 70 in April.

I want to make one of these again, I’m sure it was responsible for my old ‘pop’ skills. I cleared 38 inches in 1998!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

where’s your trousers?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

My Mrs cleared 6 inches last night!

sharkattack

where’s your trousers?

That’s not me!

thetallman
    Free Member

I’d had similar feelings recently, but having read your age, I’ve decided to build myself one of these instead 😉

DrP

You’re (we’re) still youthful and vibrant.
    Stop this nonsense talk….

DrP

funkmasterp

Forty next month 😐 might buy a skateboard and revisit my youth. What’s the worst that can happen? Lovely looking bike there. Wish I was still thirty four, still a slight chance of bouncing when you bail rather than breaking

sharkattack

Wish I was still thirty four, still a slight chance of bouncing when you bail rather than breaking

I had a couple of really big accidents about 18 months apart. Lots of broken bones and stitches and ongoing nerve damage. The first one was over 4 years ago now but it had me off the bike for about 9 months. That was the start of my downward spiral in terms of fitness and ability. I’ve really struggled to get back into it. Only my girlfriend getting a bike has kept me in it some times.

Obviously now I’ve moved I’m a bit more motivated to get out and explore so I’m aiming to get some of that back but more importantly have some fun. Can’t wait to sample the legendary Bolehills.

tomhoward

Imagine what bike you’ll get when you actually hit middle age!

thecaptain
    Free Member

What tyres for cleaning your arse crack?

treklee
    Free Member

What grips are those?

Trimix
    Free Member

Looks like you forgot to fit the front brake.

sharkattack

Imagine what bike you’ll get when you actually hit middle age!

Hopefully something like this…

What grips are those?

Some kind of Odyssey BMX grips. The pattern is a computer keyboard and they’re super sticky. I wanted Longnecks but these were 87p!

Did I mention I didn’t pay RRP for any piece of the bike? It’s all brand new but also begged, borrowed and stolen.

Looks like you forgot to fit the front brake.

There’s nowhere to put one officer. No disc flange or braking surface on the front wheel.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I like. I’m just doing up a 2007 P1 for pump track duties for me and the kids. Hoping by the end of the summer I can manual properly and do that on the pump track. Too old for back flips.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Skelf Pump Track Challenge on March 31st. Come win a prize!

takisawa2

I predict a rise in Elastoplast stocks.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Will there be a prize for most embarrassing crash?

jonnym92

I like that. Like the idea of a jump bike just not sure if I would get the use out of it. Hope it serves you well & good luck!

kimbers

Forty next month might buy a skateboard and revisit my youth.

I’m not saying don’t but….

Work colleague showed us what her husband did at old man night at the skate park last summer. I’ve never seen a wrist bend in so many places at once!
    They are American and possibly unable to go back because he now has a ‘pre-existing condition’ and would be uninsurable under Trumpcare.

Stevet1
    Free Member

That looks a tidy build there sharky. Never had the urge to do a flip, but a proper flat as 360 over a nice dirt jump would do me. If you’re ever over Preston way give me a shout.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Since when has 34 been Mid-life–only just out of college for some people– 🙂

prawny

I’m 34 and considering my first jump bike/BMX project if I can get one of the kids into it.

I’ve never really jumped before, but how hard can it be?

letmetalktomark

Take it from somebody who on their 35th birthday demolished them self on a BMX track …. we don’t bounce as well as we used to.

Also walking into school after it looks like you’ve been fighting (I broke my hand and cut under my eye) gets you load of points ….. into work rocking the same look far fewer 😆

sharkattack

Had a good day out today. Everything is hard and dry and the sun was shining.

Started at Charnock pump track which was like some Lord of the Rings type hiking to get to. Nice track though. Small and tight and running fast. I had a much easier time today than I did on my large Bfe despite being on a strange bike. So much pop! It just wants to fly so I sat back with my crap technique and just hoped for the best. Started trying to nose it into some of the steep landings which felt good.

Then we went via Devonshire Green, which I haven’t ridden since I was there on a BMX over ten years ago, up to Bolehills. I rode some of the stuff up there but most of it is too big for now.

Picked the wrong gearing for the bike as well. I wasn’t sure what to get. My wheels came with a 10t driver and I thought a 27t sprocket would work. Turns out it doesn’t. It’s alright when you’re moving but I really couldn’t manage the hills and I couldn’t get my snap on at the track.

Oh, and we also saw a double decker bus crash into another double decker bus! And then drank pints in a sunny beer garden.

I feel like I’m a 19 year old slacker again expect my back hurts more. Back to work tomorrow.

redmist
    Free Member

Also 34 here and it’s much too young to justify the bike as mid life crisis (at least that’s how I feel). No excuses, just ride it and enjoy it!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘My new mid-life crisis bike’ is closed to new replies.