Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • My new "Enduro rig".
  • happybiker
    Free Member

Well it’s just a bike really and I’m not sure if I’ll use it for enduro but wouldn’t mind a go. Going to take it to the Alps next weekend and then doing a solo 12 hr race on it so hope it’ll be versatile. First impressions are that it pedals very well, as good as my previous Ellsworth Evolution but it really shines coming down. I think it’s the slackest bike I’ve ever owned including DH bikes from 10 years ago and it handles very well. I’ve borrowed the wheels, cranks and fork of my Titus Fileline but hoping to get some Pikes and LB 35mm wheels when funds allow.

It’s surprisingly light too, well the frame is 3.4kg but built up with a Reverb and pedals its 12.6kg or 27.7lbs!

davedodd
    Free Member

Lovely. Alloy or Carbon?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Nice weed bed..
    That chain ring looks tiny?

AlexSimon

Middleburn? Nice.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Nice. I’ve got one of those. Btw, buy some new scales, I think yours are broken! 😀

happybiker
    Free Member

Thanks! It’s Ali, I got it in the CRC sale, not sure I could justify a carbon one at full price!
    The weed bed belongs to the council, I’ll pass your compliments on to them.
    Ring is a 30, pretty small but works well for actual riding!
    Deveron my scales work fine, do you want to see the spreadsheet? Every component weighed. It has carbon rims and bars and was weighed with a 2.25 Nobby Nic not the HD pictured.

Northwind

Revelations aren’t enduro you noob. #unduro.

Do like a nice Yeti, especially in the correct colour.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Btw, buy some new scales

lend them to me, my bike needs to lose a few pounds first 🙂

happybiker
    Free Member

It’s OK I’ll stick some flouro yellow stickers on them which will do the job!
    I nearly went for the black frame with the intent to use turquoise grips etc. but the wife said turquoise was better. Good thing she’s always right.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Deveron my scales work fine, do you want to see the spreadsheet?

Actually in all seriousness I would! I need to get some weight off mine and would be interested to see what was possible. I’m about to do my Winter strip down and rebuild so I can weigh the current parts and see where the lard is. My tyres are a big culprit but who knows what else? My all-steel drivetrain perhaps!
    I have some hints and tips for keeping a SB95 running smoothly so if you want to email the spreadsheet to my address on profile we could swap info.
    cheers.

tomhoward

It’s surprisingly light

This. 😉

svalgis
    Free Member

One could almost say unbelievably light.

Nice bike though!

Deveron53
    Free Member

Mine in it’s current setup: 33lbs…
    Where are the 5lbs then? Are they all in the wheels and tyres? Or do my scales suffer from over-reading? (they may do)

My weigh-in is as follows so far-
    Bars: 720mm Answer Taperlite Carbon 200g (actual)
    Stem: 50mm Renthal-alike 140g (actual)
    Saddle: Titec Berserkr DH 240g (actual)
    Seatpost: Easton EC90 400mm 221g (actual)

The weighing will continue over the winter…

The tyres’ factory quoted weights are 1015g for the front and about 950g for the rear. I’m fitting Geax Saguaro TNTs front and rear with the option of a AKA for the rear.

I’m still not sure where the fat is (apart from on me!)

woody2000

There probably a pound in the crankset on yours – extra chainring + bash + SLX cranks + trail pedals vs Middleburn single ring & CB plastic pedals 🙂

thv3
    Free Member

❓ Surely you can’t #enduro on 26″ wheels…… 😉

Deveron53
    Free Member

Ok, swapped the tyres to Saguaros and fitted a titanium bolt set to the head of my seatpost.
    Now at 31.8lb. I’d like to get to 29lb without spending a fortune.

How much could I save on wheels? I have Hope Hoops with Flow EX tubeless. I could go to narrower rims. Anyone want to swap their Arch EX Hoops for my Flow EX?

I insist on a 24-38 front setup and it’s in steel… so there’s a bit of weight! Any lighter cranksets and SRAM 10s cassettes?

EDIT: Factory tyre weights… yeah right!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Xt cassette , lighter wheels, go 1 by 10 , lighter cranks, lighter saddle. All adds up

uselesshippy
    Free Member

My money is on the scales being out a bit.
    My sb95 weighs in at 30 and a bit lbs. Carbon rims, xt, 1×10, 34’s spesh tyres etc.
    But **** the weight, they ride great.

happybiker
    Free Member

Ok here you go. Copy and pasted from my phone so excuse the format. Fitted a bigger tyre since.

Frame SB-95 L 3455
    Fork RS Rev 140mm 1827
    Headset Hope 128
    Bars 3T Extendo 225
    Stem Syntace M109 75 105
    Shifters XT I-spec 131
    Rear Der Zee Fr 269
    Front Der 0
    Cranks RS8/WT 30t 617
    BB Shimano Ultegra 108
    Cassette XT 11-36 339
    Chain XT HG-95 283
    Brakes Hope T3/E4 522
    Rotors Hope sawtooth 227
    Rotor bolts 12 x Ti 14
    Seat post Reverb 380/30.9 534
    Seat clamp Salsa 44
    Saddle Fizik Gobi xm 274
    Wheels LB/Hope 1693
    Rear Axle Shimano 12mm 92
    Tyres (fr) Nobby Nic 2.25 ss 671
    Tyres (rr) Racing Ralph 2.25 TLR SS 688
    Grips Ritchey foam 31
    Tuebeless valves Stans 15
    Chip kit Included 0
    Brake bolts rear 8
    Front brake mount Incl 4 ti bolts 37
    Pedals Crank Bros SL 267

12604g

Deveron53
    Free Member

Excellent! thanks for that. Are you able to tell me the weight split between your wheels? Front/Rear? and the exact spec of your hubs/rims/spokes/nipples etc? I have just built a 700g front wheel using Crest/Sapim Laser/Alloy nipples/Superstar 140g hub. I’m awaiting the rear wheel but I have gone for Sapim Race spokes instead (due to the risk from chain and stone strikes)and the claimed hub weight is 295g. Still built with alloy nips so hoping for a big saving from my old Hope Hoops with Flow EX.
    I am about to fit Geax Goma 2.4 front (1150g) and Geax Goma 2.25 rear (exact weight to be determined). The tyres are my only departure from lightweight. They’re sticky and grippy. I have been using Geax Saguaro front/AKA rear and find that the front is a bit skittish and the rear spins out quite often when climbing.

I’m doing a full winter stripdown, refurb and weighing ready for next Spring. My SB95a is getting a professional respray as well!

bigjim

Geax Goma

If you’ve not bought them yet, my experience of the 2.25 Goma is whilst it is great in the dry, on wet rock it is totally lethal, must be something about the rubber compound. ymmv

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ok, swapped the tyres to Saguaros and fitted a titanium bolt set to the head of my seatpost.
    Now at 31.8lb. I’d like to get to 29lb without spending a fortune.

How much could I save on wheels? I have Hope Hoops with Flow EX tubeless. I could go to narrower rims. Anyone want to swap their Arch EX Hoops for my Flow EX?

You could save around 2lb by going to a single ring and running LB rims with lightish spokes/hubs (over flow exs). You’d have the stiffness and width of Flows with the weight of crests.

The cheapest is to go 1×10, get a hope 42 tooth cassette ring and develop some strength.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I had a Oneup ring and it was reasonably ok but on steep technical climbs I found 30t too high and then on the long shallow descents I spun out too easily. I could save a lot of weight on my chainrings and front mech/shifter etc, I may consider it…
    I ride mainly on Pitfichie/Bennachie massif so my tyres and gearing have to be suited to the local terrain. I tend to spin while seated on climbs as well.
    I have Pikes, how much heavier than Revs are they? I really love the Pikes so if I’m not giving too much weight away I’d rather keep them.

jamj1974

Weight isn’t that important. Having a bike that suits your riding and where you ride is. Forget about the weight!

slowoldman

I’ve always been a bit amused by this idea of putting together a spreadsheet of the weight of individual parts. What’s wrong with standing on the bathroom scales then picking the bike up?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Cool, the spreadsheet method of weighing my bike puts it at 26.895lbs

In reality, it’s nearly 3lbs heavier than that 🙂

happybiker
    Free Member

I’m a former weight weenie so although I’m not that bothered by the weight this bike is used for everything, I was in the Alps 2 weeks ago, swapped the tyres and dropper and doing Dusk2Dawn tomorrow so I’ve built it with a nod to losing weight where it won’t affect performance. I don’t have a bathroom scale so can’t use that method!

Deveron I had straight pull Hope hoops with Crests, I replaced the Crests myself and didn’t weigh the spokes and hubs but the LB wide rims saved 10g each over the Crests. Rims were 375g, I asked for their lightest ones, and the wheels came to 783 and 910g with axle adapters.
    Pikes are about the same weight as Revs, I’d have some if I could afford them.

v666ern
    Free Member

I’m a former weight weenie

I don’t have a bathroom scale

😐
    Marjorie Dawes disagree’s DUST! 😆

You people are MAD 😯

happybiker
    Free Member

Former ww… I don’t race as much xc as I used to, okay I do have a bathroom scale but I never use it for myself never mind weigh my bike with it.

kimbers

You forgot sealant

Another few 100g

njee20
    Free Member

Cool, the spreadsheet method of weighing my bike puts it at 26.895lbs

Never quite worked out why you get such a massive difference with a spreadsheet weight, compound error, forgetting bits etc I guess, but it is always a way out 😕

Looks good, rather you than me for D2D on it though!

I’ve always been a bit amused by this idea of putting together a spreadsheet of the weight of individual parts.

Whilst it gives an inaccurate picture of whole weight it does let you see where the weight is hiding, and what you could change for quick gains. Never done it myself though!

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got an sb95 carbon, it’s around the 26lb mark. That’s with Reynolds carbon wheels, forks that were useless and SRAM xx1. With proper forks (pikes) and wheels that actually don’t break (cross max) it was nearer 28lbs.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘My new "Enduro rig".’ is closed to new replies.