Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • My new DW Link 5 Spot
  • Hadge
    Free Member

Just finished being built up today but waiting for my Chris King wheelset but here’s my new Turner 5 Spot and it’s ace! Forgot how good the DW Link just really is and it just flies from the off. A bit of tweeking here and there and it’ll be even better. Special thanks to Mark at BETD Goldtec where I work for all his hard work and sweat too – cheers matey!

Full build is as follows –

Turner DW Link – medium
    Fox Float RLC 15mm axle
    Chris King headset
    Thomson 4X stem & Elite seatpost
    Easton EA70 bars
    SRAM XX World Cup brakes
    SRAM X0 mech & shifter
    MRP Lopes chain device
    Race Face Deux XC crank with Goldtec 34t chainring
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette
    Fizik Gobi saddle

The wheels will be Chris Kings on Stans Crest rims. No idea on weight but I’ll pop it on the scales when I get back in work Monday. Can’t wait take it for a spin this weekend now :mrgreen:

sefton
    Free Member

looks spot on!

Vortexracing

Very, very, Nice,

That is by far my favorite colour that Turner have done.

Did The lopes guide fit easily enough?

wondering about 1 x 10 on mine, but i’m not quite fit enough me thinks 🙁

Hadge
    Free Member

Cheers guys. The Lopes guide went on easily, absolutely no hassle at all and it’s running silently too. So all in all so far so good.

vegasdave
    Free Member

Looks great,more good workby Marc.

jimmy

very nice. what size is that?

Hadge
    Free Member

It’s a medium, same as my old HL 5 Spot. Fits me perfect 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Really like that.

santacoops
    Free Member

Probably my favourite build I’ve seen on web, you’ve got me thinking…

yossarian
    Free Member

Very nice indeed and agree 100% about the colour being the best that I’ve seen from turner.

Blower
    Free Member

nice

coogan
    Free Member

Raw is best! And a coil shock. :mrgreen:

Nice bike fella, you’ll be have mucho fun on it.

messiah
    Free Member

Lush 8)

Hadge
    Free Member

I ran a DHX coil shock with a ti spring on my first HL 5 Spot and I loved how that rode. I thought I’d try this with the RP23 first but I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a nice s/h coil one too.

coogan
    Free Member

Had a Romic on my old HL 5 Spot. And now a Ti coil on my DW 5 Spot. Demo’d it with the RP23, but I’m a sucker for coil.

Hadge
    Free Member

Well it’s all finished apart from the new XTR pedals but we’ve just weighed it in and its 25.9lb including pedals!!!!!!!! How good is that! I lobbed nearly a pound and a half off with the new Chris King wheels alone. I’m really really pleased with it and it’s a fantastic bike to ride. This and my Merlin Oreas are the best builds I’ve ever done and I’m over the moon with it 😀

Daffy

Lovely looking bike, Hadge. Sangria? Best colour in the Turner line-up. I envy your diminutive stature.

santacoops
    Free Member

As above!

I’m considering one of these builds or a Butcher. Whats the damage £?

Hadge
    Free Member

Yip Sangria and thanks for the compliment. The mediums do look small and everyones commented on that. I think it’s because all the tubes seem to be in one area – the link and the raised stays keep everything “in”
    I’m not sure of the total cost but I’ve pulled a few favours in on it and done some begging too so it’s not that bad. I’m glad I haven’t had to pay full whack for it.

Hadge
    Free Member

First proper ride out on the new DW Link Turner and I loved it. The DW tracked all the bumps and roots and felt very plush and now all I’ve got do is sort the front forks out so they do the same.
    The other big big thumbs up was for the drive-train as I’m now running a 1×10 with a 34t 11-36 combo and I never once needed another gear even when climbing, albeit nor insanely steep climbs but still slippery all the same. Very very pleased with it and glad I bought it 😀

kudos100
    Free Member

its a beaut! i don’t know much about turners, off to the website now……

Gary_C

Looks like mine!

What disc size are you running on the back?

Hadge
    Free Member

The rear disc is a 185mm, same as the front. I’ve got to get a proper mount for it as that’s a temporary one.

Gary_C

Hmm.. i’m running a 160mm on mine ( caliper bolted directly to the frame ) can’t seen to find a suitable adaptor to use a 185mm disc.

Hadge
    Free Member

It’s a Hope one and if remember right it’s a 203mm but turned round – as in the arrow is point to the back. I’m going get the SRAM rep sort me one out so I’ll let you know what I get sorted with.

Gary_C

Cheers!

🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Impressive weight for a 5spot, but you’ve always built light bikes.

I was pleased to get my old HL down to 28lbs!

Hadge
    Free Member

Impressive weight for a 5spot, but you’ve always built light bikes

Cheers but not done on my builds intentionally – apart from my Yeti 575. I was lucky with this build getting some nice bits cheap. I just spec stuff that works and is reliable as in things like Thomson stuff. I lost nearly a pound and a half with a change of rims!

jimr80
    Free Member

Hadge,
    i have just built one of these up with the same spec as yours , but with a 3x 10 setup. How are you finding running 1x 10?
    Also what psi are you running in your forks and shock + your weight as i’m still playing with my settings.

Hadge
    Free Member

I love the 1×10 – rode it today and never once did I think “damn could do with another gear” and it was really good. I wanted a nice tidy gear set-up so that’s why I went 1×10 but I did mull over a 2×10 for a while. So i stuck my neck out on this and glad I did.
    I’m still playing with the settings in the shock but tomorrow I’ll got try set it up as per the Turner website tech spec but my forks need a service in all honesty as they’re not running as smooth as they should.

yunki
    Free Member

That’s lovely.. bit jealous

Hadge
    Free Member

That’s lovely.. bit jealous

Only a bit! I’ll have to try harder hehe 😉

Hadge
    Free Member

Gary_C, the SRAM rep said to run a 185mm rotor we need just a 185mm Post Mount okay. Hope that helps.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘My new DW Link 5 Spot’ is closed to new replies.