Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • My new Cotic Solaris
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Not the best pic and I know the brickwork needs cleaning and the cement around the waste pipe is a little untidy.

Should get her maiden ride on Tuesday 😀

bol

Very nice. Love the colour. I think you’re going to like it a lot.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Bol, this purchase is down to you 😀 👿

bol

Well my influences aren’t all bad then. 😀

Rickos
    Free Member

Love the hammer in shot. A useful tool when building a bike!

steezysix
    Free Member

Man, the yellow cable outer for your dropper post looks pretty hefty…

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

It needs trimming as well Steezysix

smiff
    Free Member

lol at hammer and dropper hose.
    a plastic mallet for putting cranks on, please 🙂

Duggan

Love that kind of colour on bikes, I’m sure it’s because of my old Raleigh Lizard as a child

mikemph
    Free Member

looks fantastic, let us know what you think after maiden ride

joejoe
    Free Member

That looks lovely mate. I’ve just ordered mine in the same colour. Just out of interest, what size is that?

Frankers
    Free Member

Got mine sitting in the office with a box of bits waiting to build up, mines a large green one

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Joe joe, it’s a large.

takisawa2

Lovely.

Loving the Hozelok Dropper.

joejoe
    Free Member

Great, I’ve ordered a size large and its looks spot on in terms of wheels size/frame size ratio. How tall are you? I’m a tad over 6ft and opted for the large instead of the medium. Joe

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

6’2″; starting off with a 90 mm stem but may change that as things progress

simon67
    Free Member

Looks lovely Ben

Would be interesting to see how different it rides when I eventually get my Highball built up. Have you weighed it?

Cheers
    another Houldsworth

cp

Looks lovely, but I think your gear cable routing is going to cause some indexing issues?

franki
    Free Member

Looks great! Loving that green! 😀

joejoe
    Free Member

So how was it?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

It was awesome! I’ve only ever ridden steel hard tails and to be honest I didn’t think there could be such a big difference between 2 bikes of relatively similar design (previous Unit 2-9) but it’s night and day.

I took it up the edge of the Peaks (only an hour or so) but found it incredibly sure footed, tracks through rock gardens and is very chuckable and inspires confidence; it rides like a bike smaller and lighter than it is.

I’ m not the most technically gifted rider but the Solaris makes me want to go and look for steep stuff, the Kona made me want to squeeze my brakes when things got tech.

oxym0r0n

Looks great – loving my blue one – enjoy!

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Nice colour, last time I saw that color it was on my first proper MTB…way back in the dark ages…a Orange Evo 2 in slime green!

Just finished my Solaris build last Wednesday and loving it already. I had a Cotic Simple in large before so this is in a medium given the longer TT and the difference is already noticable. It seems smaller, lighter and more chuckable but this climbs so much easier and seems to roll / soak up the the rocks far better. I stuck narrower bars (580MM)on it which makes it a little more twitchy on the technie bits, need to source some wider bars me thinks.

Built it up with a Rohloff so it’s not the lightest but I’ve blinged / lightened most of the other bits. Current weight is bang on 28lb and I recon I can shave another 0.5lb+ from it when I change all the bolts for Ti.

So far I’m not regretting the switch from 26″ and getting shot of the FS Orange 5 / Cotic Simple.

Cotic Solaris by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Ben, what chain device are you using? I’m currently building a soul.

honourablegeorge

rosscopeco – Member

I recon I can shave another 0.5lb+ from it when I change all the bolts for Ti.

Half a pound, on bolts alone? Really?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Quentin, running an MRP x1; piece of p*ss to install, no chain rub with standard spacers and the chain stayed in place on rocky descents in the Peaks.

I ran a Paul’s Components on my Unit 2-9 which worked pretty well and is very nice looking; I’d have got on again but struggled to find one.

On a separate note my large frame inc QR and headset cups weighed in at 5.3 pounds, 1.2 pounds lighter than my Unit 🙂

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Half a pound, on bolts alone? Really?

If you include ALL the bolts then ‘yes’, I think it wont be too far away. In fairness I’ve included ‘altering’ the QR seat clamp to a simple bolt and nut and swapping both wheel QRs to Ti bolts / nuts alone. Everything adds up in the end.

Yes….I know….before you all say it….if I just watch what I eat for a few weeks I’ll drop several pounds…and its free!

This project was always going to be the ‘perfect’ build with no compromises so hence the effort. Once the bolts are done, then the only other item I can save weight on, without affecting longevity, would be on the pedals. I’ll wait until they break first…

joejoe
    Free Member

Loving the Solaris’ (what is the plural – Solari?)

Can’t wait for mine to arrive – Cotic said it would be tomorrow.

Ben and Ross – did the courier contact you before delivery to give you a time slot? Can you remember which company Cotic use?

I feel like a kid at Christmas!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Joe joe, they didn’t contact me but I spoke to Cy before dispatch and he explained it would be next day delivery between 9 and 5 so I let the neighbours know and all was good

joejoe
    Free Member

Thanks Ben good to know all is on course for tomorrow’s delivery.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Likewise joe joe, Cy was very helpful. My better half was ready and waiting for it…I didn’t allow her to go out until it had arrived 😀

mikemph
    Free Member

got mine and it looks fantastic, only fitted rebas so far..
    I did weigh it out of the box.
    fitted with seat clamp, and nukeproof h/set and the bits of plastic it comes with 5.1 lbs in medium.

mike

Frankers
    Free Member

2nd ride last night on my Solaris, usual midweek ride, and am really happy with it.

Everything seems so much quicker and no problem with initial acceleration.

Will my other biked get used now… Cotic Soul & Turner Flux

wisepranker
    Free Member

That looks fantastic.
    I reckon one of them would look great alongside my green BFe!

Frankers
    Free Member

This is mine

dlr

Would be great if one of you can measure your front centres please, especially if they are a large/19″ frame, cheers

Frankers
    Free Member

What’s a front centre?

dlr

Distance from the centre of the bottom bracket horizontally to the centre of the front axle, just wanted to compare to my current bike. Cotic mention how it has a long one a lot on their site but then dont give the figure now the wheelbase which would allow you to work it out from the chainstay figure

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mine is also awesome. I must take some pitchers. 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘My new Cotic Solaris’ is closed to new replies.