Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • My new BLACK bike
  • timbur
    Free Member

Finally done how I want it.
    Just faffing about a small trim to the bars and maybe a lower rise stem. Then I can bar tape it.

jameso

enfht
    Free Member

Does it do wheelies?

timbur
    Free Member

I do hope so :O)

Reluctant
    Free Member

Interesting………very interesting 8)

fasthaggis

timbur
    Free Member

The rear stays are a work of art up close.
    Flatten, manipulated and all sorts.
    It’s very subtle.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do you look like this??

fasthaggis

This would work

timbur
    Free Member

Not even close. Must try harder on the beard front.
    Saying that, he looks a bit like one of my old school mates dads. He played golf though, not a rider from memory.

timbur
    Free Member

fasthaggis – Not sure about the crash protection of the headgear.

fasthaggis

I know, 😉

What would TJ say ,etc,etc 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

TJ? Did he have an opinion? Never noticed. 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

It is a nice bike BTW, but I couldn’t resist could I..

Tell us how it rides and where you ride it/terrain etc..

Interested to hear.

binners

My right angle OCD says there are too many bends in that seatpost/seat tube combo. Just looking at that has set it off. If you put that bike in front of me on a regular basis, my head would explode

wwaswas

needs a bigger loop of cable into the rear mech Tim.

Looks lovely 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

Will do Bikebouy. It’s built for the terrain I ride (SDW) but I fancy trying one of those silly clown front wheels as well. Just for laughs.

I do have a small beard. It’s only because I’m self employed and very lazy when it comes to shaving (well, lazy and not very skillful with a razor unless removing skin counts?)

timbur
    Free Member

Luke – it’s an “organic” loop of cable. I stress for a good 5 mins about the curve on that 😳

At least it’s not a cut and shut.

igrf
    Free Member

I’ve got a great basket that would fit to those forks..

HermanShake
    Free Member

Not my cup o’ tea but it’s well matched for one of them reallyexpensivegotcurlybits bikes.

Rear cable needs reigning in a tad and either B-screw or chain length need attention as the mech looks a little tucked. I’d want a little more security on the front chainring like a bash.

Anyhow, it’s stealthy and shiny 8)

This one’s for you two:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPZwOTlQQDc[/video]

shermer75
    Free Member

Is that no front mech or chain device? Was thinking about doing the same. How do you find it? Does the cahin come off a lot?

timbur
    Free Member

Basket for the bars surely???
    Herman – the chain was big to big plus two so technically correct. It’s in the smallest cog at the back so wil look a little tucked. Can’t bash as it’s a homebrew XTR M960 adaption. It’s got an N Gear stop on the seat tube but that’s not obvious from the pic.

timbur
    Free Member

You should be able to make out the N-stop thingie in this pic.
    Not ridden yet. Only finished it last night and I have two boys all day demanding attention so no chance of a quick hack.

Clink

I love mine – no decent pics though.

What rims are you using? Have to say the wide 35mm P35 rims are great for getting the mosty out of big tyres.

Gotama
    Free Member

Damn you clink. You can’t go posting pics like that when its so wet and sloppy on all the trails. Makes me yearn for the days of dry dusty trails…

ton

very nice indeed…….enjoy.

Houns

Clink

yep – first week of summer hols in Wales last year – it was fab!

timbur
    Free Member

Atomlab Superlite ones. Skinny so not ideal for super fat tyres.
    I’m more Jey than Core.
    2.25 Ardents are bulbous compared to my normal choice of tyre :O)
    How’s it as a SS?

HermanShake
    Free Member

I spotted the N-Gear and secretly did the respect nod. Fair enough with the chain, the B screw could help add a little tension for security if you find it’s needed. You can bend the guide plate for the Jump Stop, it works very well like this:

wwaswas

At least it’s not a cut and shut.

turns out that one of the dropouts is cracked so now trying to decide if a set of Paragon Ti dropouts are worth the investment.

Got a Scandal 29er in the meantime and quite pleased with it. Obvious observation of the day: 29ers are a bit different to 26″ 🙂

Clink

Great as SS – weight distribution is spot on for out of the saddle climbing. Only issue is my hands want to be further forward when climbing – which you can do but bar is narrower there.

P35’s with 2.4’s are a revelation. Low pressure traction, grip and comfort are outstanding. This is the setup, I think, that Jeff recommends. If you get a chance try some – don’t think you’d go back to narrower rims/tyres.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ooooh . . . want! Looks amazing! 😛

Not really a short-term test-pilot’s bike though is it 😕

timbur
    Free Member

Herman – oooo, that’s a top tweek. I’ll be trying that out! Adjusting the B screw messes with the earth gravitational field doesn’t it?

Luke – that’ll be an expensive frame by the time it’s ready to work.

timbur
    Free Member

I had a Spaceframe as a demo for a while from Biff. It had the big front rim which was fun but I found it a bit bouncy. Probably too much air in the tyre (old habits)
    Will see how I get on with the skinny ones as I’ve got a (Black) Trek 69er SS so don’t need another one (yet)

Mama- short term? Nope, it’s taken too long to get here so not a short term decision.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I found the tweek on another site, I can’t see the point in more expensive top guides.

The B screw’s been the answer to some frustrating drivetrain conundrums for me in the past but it’s such a quick and easy thing to adjust. It’s not quite as sensitive as a gear cable adjuster, but still stick to no more than a half turn at a time. Whack ‘er in the big cog, adjust, shift up and down and repeat until it looks/feels right. The top jockey should be clear of the cassette as you probably know, you’ll hear it purr and tick if it isn’t.

The world’s meant to end today, there’s nothing to lose 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Mama- short term? Nope, it’s taken too long to get here so not a short term decision.

No, I was referring to my own purchasing habits Tim (although I think I may have found the cure, no really). Hope you have a long and happy relationship with that one – really does look spot-on!

wwaswas

Luke – that’ll be an expensive frame by the time it’s ready to work.

that’s why I’m umming and ahhing – say another £200 to get it up and running makes it owe me £400. In two minds, really.

officialtob
    Free Member

Nice to see fence painted, leaves swept, and weeds pulled before taking the pic.

Gold star for OP.

timbur
    Free Member

Well I am a gardener by trade however, fence not painted, leaves blown away and weeds died in the frost :O)

Luke – if it rides well then it’s worth doing. If not then hang it on the wall.

Mama – I thought you had that sorted years ago. Wasn’t it small Kona’s that you had a problem with? I’m very happy with this one. 100% me and no compromise to style/taste/fashion.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘My new BLACK bike’ is closed to new replies.