• This topic has 43 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • My new bike… Be warned though, it's a bit "marmite" for most! ;-)
  • mboy
    Free Member

Literally just finished building up my new bike, which has been long overdue (should've had it months ago, but I was out of money and had to fix my car!)… Picked it up on Thursday though, stripped the bits off I don't want, and got round to finishing it off today.

More pics can be found here

I agree, it's a very "marmite" bike… You'll either love it or hate it! Personally, I love them, always have, hence it's my second…

Anyway, let me know what you reckon… Off outside to go mess about with shock pressures, and rebound and the like for a bit now! 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Looks a bit 'Halfords' to me, sorry!

loddrik
    Free Member

I have an ml7/5 and it is superb, I cannot understand why mavs aren't more popular as pretty much anyone who has ridden one knows how good they are, having said that I like the fact that you never see anyone else with one. It has been said before many times but they really do climb better than any other full sus and it is waaay stiffer than the 575 I had before it.

I think it is a bit ridiculous saying a mountain bike is not aesthetically pleasing as they are designed to do a job which they do well, they are all pretty much funtion over form. I think it looks great btw.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Great to ride not so good to look at. Bit like an ugly bird. 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

never been a fan myself but i can see why it would have its admirers, im not convinced about mavericks myself-in fact might be selling some soon- but equally i know there are a lot of people who love them. well done though youve obviously got something that gets you fired up :thumbs:

the_lecht_rocks

said it before – they're californian bikes. not designed for UK conditions.
    and how would you ride super-steeps with that ST ?
    hope you live in a flattish area of SOCAL 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Ugly is fine by me…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

simple, by not being a little girl and just getting on and riding it with the seat up 😛

slowrider
    Free Member

ive never ridden a maverick frame but had a pair of the forks and they were awful! so flexy i thought i was on forks from the early 90's.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I hope that bike rides well 'cause it ain't a looker.

ton

thisisnotaspoon – Member

simple, by not being a little girl and just getting on and riding it with the seat up

pmsl………………. 😆 8)

doof_doof
    Free Member

mmm…URT's

Hawt.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

said it before – they're californian bikes.

Umm, Maverick are designed and built in Colorado (Golden, to be precise). I'm not sure if you've ridden in Colorado, but they have some 'steep' trails.

p.s. I'm not a fan of Mavericks either, but if you're going to slag something off, get the facts right.

mboy
    Free Member

Looks a bit 'Halfords' to me, sorry!

Each to their own, like I said, I know Mavericks are more of a Marmite bike than any Singlespeed or 29er. Personally, I've always like the way they look… Very much form follows function, but it's the little details you don't get on so many other bikes that I love about them, like the Easton Rad Top Tube that's flared towards the seat tube, not the head tube, the fact that each one is named individually not given a serial number (Mine's called Medusa by the way!), the integrated Campag style headset (so much simpler and lighter than a regular headset) etc.

I have an ml7/5 and it is superb, I cannot understand why mavs aren't more popular as pretty much anyone who has ridden one knows how good they are, having said that I like the fact that you never see anyone else with one. It has been said before many times but they really do climb better than any other full sus and it is waaay stiffer than the 575 I had before it.

Yup, they are superb bikes. People who diss them generally have never ridden one. I was sceptical til I had a go on one of the first ML7's in about 2003, but a quick blast was all I needed to convince me that for a full sus "trail" bike, it's pretty much unbeatable.

Can't agree with you on the never seeing another fact though. Sadly I know at least 6 other people with a Maverick, and a couple more who have had them but sold them on! Fortunately though, I've never been on a ride where there was more than 2 together, otherwise they would have looked common! 😉

said it before – they're californian bikes. not designed for UK conditions.
    hope you live in a flattish area of SOCAL

You there, with the vast array of Titanium Hardtails, PAY ATTENTION AT THE BACK! 😉

Designed (and first few built in) Colorado, where funnily enough they've got some Mountains that will piss over anything you care to think is "extreme" in Bonnie Scotland! hehe.

Do you mean ride up or down steeps? Well if it's up you mean, EASY… The Maverick is probably the best climbing full sus bike out there. It's got a long back end, the seat tube may appear slack but if you look at where it starts and where the saddle actually is, it has an effective seat tube angle of 72 degrees which isn't exactly slack. Also, the DUC forks lock down by 50mm lowering the front end, and steepening everything up should you need it.

If you mean ride down, well they're super stable, the saddle goes down plenty far enough (though I might put my i900 adjustable post on it too), and it's got powerful brakes! Simple no?

I hope that bike rides well 'cause it ain't a looker.

Again, each to their own. I happen to like the way they look, but I apreciate that many people don't. Does (or should, I've only ridden it down town and back so far!) ride well out on the trails though. My previous ML7 was a damned good bike anyway!

mmm…URT's

Strictly not so. BB moves independently of both the swingarm and the main frame. Sure, the BB moves, but not very much. Where a URT will stiffen as much as 50% when you stand on the pedals (or perhaps even 100% if it's a Klein Mantra!), the Maverick Monolink only stiffens by about 7-8% when you're stood, which is barely noticable, as is the BB movement.

I'm happy at least, and that's what counts 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Have to dissagree about scarecity though. Don't know where you ride but I spend most of my riding in and around north Wales and I reckon a haven't seen 5 of them in the last few years, which I like.

Wookster

thisisnotaspoon – Member

simple, by not being a little girl and just getting on and riding it with the seat up

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

😆 :lol:Love it very little that you need to have seat post at dirt jumper level in the uk really. I know a chap with one loves it not my bag odont like the lool of thaem then again I ride a 5!!

Andy

Mark, cant comment on the ride as never tried one, would like to though!

Thats the first Maverick I have seen that looks really nice. The colours really suit it IMO. 8)

Loddrik's on the other hand looks fugly (again IMO)! 😆

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Looks good to me! but then again what would I know?

I own his old ML7 and I hate Marmite!

Matt.

Radioman

Interesting bike. My worry would be the long seatpost with that very shallow angle. that must put a lot of strain on it. Certainly not a boring bike!

nickc

Thats the first Maverick I have seen that looks really nice. The colours really suit it IMO.

+1

That looks ace

mboy
    Free Member

Have to dissagree about scarecity though. Don't know where you ride but I spend most of my riding in and around north Wales and I reckon a haven't seen 5 of them in the last few years, which I like.

Fair enough. I just know people (mostly off this forum actually, though a couple of guys locally, and mtbmaff who I sold my ML7 to) with them… In fact, I got accused of copying when I bought my ML7! Hahaha. Fact is I'd wanted one for years, but they were ridiculously expensive. It was only when a few years later when I found a mint 2nd hand frame available at a more reasonable price, that I was eventually able to get on the Maverick bandwagon.

Saw another one at Swinley last weekend actually, just as I was getting out of the car. Was riding my hardtail then though…

mboy
    Free Member

I own his old ML7

Matt, we NEED to organise a ride soon mate! Now I finally have it at least…

Thats the first Maverick I have seen that looks really nice. The colours really suit it IMO.

Cheers Andy, more than welcome to have a go on mine next time I see you…

I've seen a good few that I like in the past, and generally they're of the more subtle approach. I've seen a few OTT garish ones in the past too, which only brings attention to the fact it's not a conventional design and doesn't help IMO. To be fair though, I've always built/specced my bikes to be on the subtle side, maybe next bike will be all the colours of the rainbow! 😉

Interesting bike. My worry would be the long seatpost with that very shallow angle. that must put a lot of strain on it. Certainly not a boring bike!

Don't think it does to be fair, otherwise I'd have heard about them failing because of this. Which I haven't. It's a 367mm Thomson (not a 410) and it's still an inch or so above the min insertion line.

+1

That looks ace

Cheers, I think so too! 😀

PePPeR

Decathlon and GT are selling URT bikes likes those at cheap prices!

😉

rebus
    Free Member

mine !! 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

looks odd to me but then i was after buying one last year yours i think but couldnt get it in the end due to lack of funds 🙁 ended up with a turner which is great but not so unusual 🙂 i like unusual and the ride reports are great. Prob the only bike i would have to think of reasons not to buy over a new dw spot when the time comes. Enjoy

mboy
    Free Member

Decathlon and GT are selling URT bikes likes those at cheap prices!

Cheeky Git! People with clown wheeled bikes with only one gear shouldn't poke fun… 😉

Rebus, that's possibly the nicest ML7 I've seen! Get yourself over to the Maverick forum on MTBR.COM and post your pic and specs! Very nice indeed!

Mick, don't worry, I will enjoy… Shame you couldn't buy my ML7 when I was offering it first time round, but mtbmaff owns it now so it's in good hands (or so he says!)… Will let you know how it rides in due course…

firestarter
    Free Member

i know i think i ended up paying more in the end as by the time i found something else id saved up more money 🙁 oh well lol

rOcKeTdOg

marmite sux

*goes off to ride clown wheeled one gear bike*

Kit
    Free Member

I gave one a shot at a demo day, just out of curiosity. Didn't like it, to be honest. Can't remember why, but didn't blow me away. The way the seatpost slides at such an angle mean that to get my leg extended properly, it felt like I was miles away from the bars. And the sizes up/down didn't fit me either. Wouldn't have bought one anyway as they're not braw 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

Just need to dye your hair ginger now mate 😉

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I had a go on one of them at a demo a few years back as there was nothing else in my size sitting ready to go. It was very very good at climbing over things while sat and spinning away. I expected to hate it due to my preconceptions about the forks, sort of URT back end and ugliness. I was wrong.

mboy
    Free Member

Just need to dye your hair ginger now mate

AND gain a few pounds! 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

I'vr a feeling I'vr got a stalker again Mr Swede! Good job at leaset on Maverick in this area gets ridden once in a while rather than pushed everywhere though 😉

coogan
    Free Member

I forgot just how ugly those bikes are. Still, each to their own and all that.

iamtheresurrection

nickc – Member

+1

That looks ace

+2

I'd change the tyres for all black. Looks pretty good to me though…

Given some of the truly gopping bikes I see on this forum, I'd feel pretty content if I were you. 😀

WipeOut
    Free Member

Don't forget a paper bag to put over your head when you ride it. 😆

ton

me and mrpotatohead were mending a puncture today on the goyt trail.
    a bloke crept up on us, and he was riding a ml7, and i thought it was nice.
    very quiet n sneaky…………….ninja bike. 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

Gis a go mister, that looks great! You appear to have no rotor on the back though 😉

duntstick
    Free Member

Everyone is talking about the climbing, but what put me off was that by all accounts it's virtual lockout apparently when descending when standing on the pedals.
    Never ridden one so I'm quite prepared for a roasting…. 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

I'vr a feeling I'vr got a stalker again Mr Swede! Good job at leaset on Maverick in this area gets ridden once in a while rather than pushed everywhere though

Hehe. Handbags at dawn eh! 😉

It's already been out today as it happens, and didn't get pushed once! Ashamed to say I did use the granny gear a couple of times when I could/should have kept it in the middle ring though, gotta build my legs up more!

I'd change the tyres for all black.

Already done. Those Hutchinson Pythons (great in the summer, not so now!) were only on there cos the wheels were on my hardtail. All black tyres on it now as of about 9am this morning…

Don't forget a paper bag to put over your head when you ride it.

Should I get the bike a paper bag too? It's probably more ashamed of me as its rider than I am of it! 😉

a bloke crept up on us, and he was riding a ml7, and i thought it was nice.
    very quiet n sneaky…………….ninja bike.

ton is learning 😆

Ninja bikes indeed

Gis a go mister, that looks great! You appear to have no rotor on the back though

No worries. Next time we go on a ride together, bring a 15mm spanner and 6mm allen key, we can swap pedals for a bit and you can have a go… Rear rotor is currently a 160, it's all I had in centrelock fitting. I will probably order a 180mm centrelock rotor soon enough though. Or maybe just sell the Hopes and get some proper (Shimano) brakes on there instead!

Everyone is talking about the climbing, but what put me off was that by all accounts it's virtual lockout apparently when descending when standing on the pedals.
    Never ridden one so I'm quite prepared for a roasting….

They only stiffen by approx 7-8% when stood, nothing like old school URT bikes. The BB shell is so close to the main pivot, and almost directly underneath it, that it barely affects the sensitivity when you're out of the saddle. You barely notice it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘My new bike… Be warned though, it's a bit "marmite" for most! ;-)’ is closed to new replies.