Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • My New Bike
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

A slight departure from the normal longer travel bikes I normally go for, initially thought I might be underbiked for the trails but as yet not the case.
    It’s super fast and efficient so far.
    Frame bought new from Pedalon in Italy the rest of the kit from Stanton Sherpa that was sold.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bnxEijZ.jpg[/IMG]

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ohhhhh….I like that.

Poopscoop

Wow, that’s a classy bike mate.

I’d be afraid to get it dirty I think! Lol

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Good choice!
    I’ve got the 2012 version in green, and I love it to bits

rascal
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance…what is it?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Salsa Spearfish

rascal
    Free Member

Clean lines.
    Nice colour.
    I approve 😀

Clink

I was considering one of those. Got a link to the website?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Clink, I purchased the frame on ebay, I believe that it was the last large orange Salsa Spearfish frame they had.

Clink

Ok ta

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike

mtbfix

Pedalon in Italy? Or Pedal On in Tadley?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Apologies it was purchased from Pedaldomain in Italy.

Wookster

Lush!

jamj1974

Nice and I love that colour!

hambl90
    Free Member

Very nice

STATO
    Free Member

Nice. Just stripped my old Large green and black version down to sell, amazing bike but it’s always been a bit small for me, going to keep an eye out for an xl. Get a 1.5 degree offset headset from works-components, makes it an absolute hooligan on fast stuff but still climbs like a goat, set the shock firm too, kind of feels odd when used to longer softer travel but it works really well.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Stato, I am running 120 Rebas at the moment, feels just right but something to consider, also do think I need to run rear shock a bit more stiff. Will changing the head angle that way affect the warranty?

Cheers

STATO
    Free Member

No idea about warranty, probably, about as much as running a 120mm fork (rated for 100mm). But the only failures that happen on those bikes was the chainstay snapping, and i think that was only on the early ones. I ran 120mm fork for a while but preferred a shorter fork with slackset.

Here is (was) mine;
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/eg4kTi]#salsacycles #spearfish[/url] by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

Stedlocks
    Free Member

As statto says, the rear shock is important to get right…if mine is too soft, it bobs a fair bit (but feels plush), but when you get it right, it doesn’t bob at all on climbs, but takes out all the little bumps as its meant to. Don’t forget, it’s a short travel xc bike…..at that, it’s excellent!
    Saying that, it’s never let me down on bigger, gnarlier stuff, but I don’t do jumps as I’m too old and breakable!

fudge9202
    Free Member

Running an oval narrow wide chainring 1×10 so hopefully limited chain slap, Stedlock same here no big jumps I’m 47 now and been there done that, will leave that to the kids. What rear shock pressure would you recommend as just “right”?

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I know that 5psi either way makes a noticeable difference…. I’m 46, but didn’t want to say!
    Just take a little shock pump and have a play….

zippykona

Would any of you use the word plush to describe the rear end?
    I’m forever playing with mine and having a kashima rp23 Pushed I hoped I would be there.
    If I use a medium air spacer and 90psi it’s at its best but it sits a long way into its travel.
    It’s not like I’m comparing it to 150 mm bike , my other bike is a 2000 mount vision and that is extremely plush.
    On the plus side it is a great bike to ride . I shall borrow another shock and see how that goes.

STATO
    Free Member

It’s not like I’m comparing it to 150 mm bike , my other bike is a 2000 mount vision and that is extremely plush.

Its nothing like a marin in its feel. The marins always felt like they had way more travel but you never really knew where you where in it, the spearfish travel is there to take the edge off (IMO), you still get movement but you dont need to stand like you would on a hardtail. Its different but still comfortable after a long day. Id call the fish feel as ‘supporting’ rather than plush like a marin.

Mine came with a Monarch R, tried a Fox RP3 and it didnt seem as good, sat too far into the travel and moved around too easily.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Yeah, I wouldn’t say it’s plush, more absorbent! It rides like a hard tail, but smooths out the jarring bumps, like horse hoof prints and ruts….I’ve got an ario rl on mine, and I can’t fault it. I love it for its intended purpose though, that is, all day mile munching off road…..I always use conti x-Kings 2.2’s and have no problem being right up there with the segments off road, and not too far away from a few road ones!

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’ll grab a shock pump and do a bit of experimenting, I’m running 2.35 Toros and have the new Python 2 to try on the rear, really rate the new Hutchinson line of tyres and they are super easy to set up tubeless.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘My New Bike’ is closed to new replies.