Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • My new bike – 29er niche content…
  • rockitman

After a good few months of um’ing and arr’ing I finally finished the Scandal build last weekend.

Fully rigid, 29er, Alfine Hub – pretty niche!

Built it for a couple of solo attempts in the summer however I went riding on some local trails on Saturday and Llandegla on Monday and loved it. Can’t wait to get out on it again. Rolls so fast on Singletrack…

Thanks to all who gave me advice along the way, from bar width to gearing ratios to brake mounts, this site has been invalueable.

So, here she is

geoffj

Nice, but definitely not niche in these parts.

ski
    Free Member

Nice, I even like the colour, the new inbred paintwork looks like they have a hell of a sheen to them.

What size frame is it RM and how tall are you?

rockitman

It's a 21" and I'm 6' 6".

Paint is pretty bright, not sure how it's gonna last though as I've been off once and taken a load off one of the stays 🙁

HTTP404
    Free Member

could you lose more links from the chain?

rockitman

Yes I could. Is the chain tensioner meant to be pulled very tight? Didn't drop the chain whilst riding.

Wasn't sure about the gearing – 22t sprocket on the back and 30t on the front so was expecting to have to mess around with it and then subsequently the chain length. At the moment the gearing seems perfect though.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Looks good, and something I am considering building myself, do you know what the weight is? Also does the back end feel heavy with the Alfine?

Doug

MrTall
    Free Member

I recently built up a rigid singlespeeded Inbred 29er in the same size and have been thinking about putting an Alfine on it at some stage. Was going to wait for the 11sp version but am now reconsidering it due to the expected price tag of around £400.

I'm very happy with the way mine rides despite it maybe being a tad small for me in the 21" size (other bikes are 22" & 23") but i have a Thudbuster on mine to add a bit of comfort and some layback as well.

Can you not run the Singleator with the pushing up spring? That's how i run mine on two other bikes and i think it looks better and gives better chain wrap as well.

rockitman

It weighs 27lbs. Quite how I'm not sure as I thought it would be less. It feels very light to me though as I'm used to riding a couple of full sus bikes ranging from 32lbs to 38lbs depending how I build them up.

If you pick the back end up you would say it feels heavier than a standard set up, but I haven't noticed it once whilst out riding. Concentrate on holding on whilst not adapting to any suspension up front!

rockitman

Sorry MrTall, what do you mean re: pushing up spring?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Will be suitably attired?
    Namely a pink tutu, tiara and wand?
    xxx

Candodavid
    Free Member

would recommend some Jones bars, just to finish it off

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

if you can't lose 2 links from the chain, whack a half link in – it'll look a lot better without the tensioner being quite so obvious.

other than that, good job 🙂

ski
    Free Member

Candodavid – Member

Also worth looking at the On-One Fleegle Bars too, cut down to a reasonable length, that is 😉

Lactic
    Free Member

chain tensioner pushing up:-

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Good lordy I thought mine looked camp.! Not the same pink as the 456 or is it just the light/camera.? Looks damn fine though.

rockitman

Thanks for the positive comments 🙂

Ti29er – that's the first thing one of the girls who rides with us said…

Ah, I see what you mean now about the tensioner. I will mess later.

Re: Bars – Not sure about the Fleegle / Jones bars. The top tube length isn't huge and I don't want to feel cramped. I was actually thinking about getting some flat ones, however the only flat and wide ones I've seen are the Salsa ones and I haven't got a spare ton sitting around.

Shandy
    Free Member

Nice bike rockitman.

If you are looking for flat wide bars the Reverse Fli Bars (sp?) are about £50, they also come in white which might suit your colour scheme. 😆

MrTall
    Free Member

Rockitman,

As per the pic above, your Singleator comes with two springs, one that pushes the chain down, like you are running it, and the other which pushes the chain up. Pushing up will allow you to take a few links out of the chain and also looks neater (imho). The biggest advantage though is you get more chain wrap on the rear cog so slipping gears are far less likely. Changing the spring is easy, just follow the instructions that come with the Singleator (i can do it and i'm borderline retarded when it comes to bike fettling). If you don't have a spare spring, Charlie the Bikemonger stocks them although they are around £5 a pop!

Worth a try i reckon but if it's working fine as it is and you are happy with it i guess there's no reason to change it.

clubber
    Free Member

For a pink 29er that really looks surprisingly nice!

rockitman

MrTall, thanks for the info. Bought the Singleator out of the display cabinet at LBS and didn't pick anything else up.

Thanks for the tip Shandy, will look into those…

thekingofsweden

As said before no nicheness here did i come to the wrong thread ?

mollyiom
    Free Member

need to sort the alfine cable route id say.

go for 32/18 gearing and MTFU 🙂

singlespeedstu

Candodavid – Member

You can't use the Alfine shifter with a Jones bar. 🙄

I know as I've tried. 😉

What's with the cable routing at the rear? Straight along the chainstay or straight up the seatstay would be much betterer.

MrNutt
    Free Member

needs a titanium map board with integrated ornamental propellers to be proper niche around these parts 😀

rockitman

Didn't like routing along the chainstay, made the loop really tight. Quite like it there!

jfeb
    Free Member

Re wide, flat bars, have a look at the Niner Flat Top bar. 9 degrees of bend and 710mm wide. £38. Here

Del

you should be able to dick about with the non-rotation washers to position the cable stop differently, thereby sorting out your cable routing.
    my inbred has the cable along the chainstay. the stop is in line with it, pretty much. using silver on DS and green on NDS IIRC. i keep wondering about aligning it with the seatstay to use the regular cable mounts, though i know this will put the cable stop close to the chain, i have read others say that they have just bent it out a bit and it gives plenty of clearance.

how did you find the tensioner fitting, with the non-rotation washers, just out of interest?

it's certainly very bright! 🙂

singlespeedstu

Didn't like routing along the chainstay, made the loop really tight.

You've lost me there. What "loop" are you talking about?

Straight along the chainstay and into the cable holder.

clubber
    Free Member

This loop presumably

I thought that the cable entry point was supposed to be pointing forward, not backwards which would explain the issue…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘My new bike – 29er niche content…’ is closed to new replies.