Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • My new big fat bouncy BMX
  • bedmaker

Well it feels a bit like a big BMX at least 🙂

[/url]
    [/img]

hot_fiat

Lurvelly!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Chubby chasing on STW shocker…I quite like that. In fact, I’d love to try one on the slippery wet chalk winter trails around my way.

jameso

Rarely do I see a fat bike and think ‘hell yeah!’ but Steven’s done the job there .. Looks fun. Very clean looking too.

bedmaker

Aye, hats off to the Shand lads, not an easy build but they made a fantastic job. Talking about cable runs, I was a bit meh whatever, I’ll cable tie stuff on if need be.
    Steven is fussy about that stuff though, and now it’s built up, I’m glad. It has a lovely clean look

rOcKeTdOg

Shand? At first glance I thought it said Kona. (viewing via phone)

shandcycles
    Free Member

Nice to see it built up BM. Looks really nice. Learned a lot on that one. Biggest lesson is when someone asks for a short chainstay bike, 135 Rohloff rear-end and clearance for 4.8″ tyres, just say no!

flashes
    Free Member

I ride my Pugsley round our local BMX pump track, it certainly confuses the yoofs……

_tom_
    Free Member

I dont think you know what a bmx is meant to be like. It looks like a fun clown bike though 🙂

bedmaker

First ride done, and it’s practically perfect in every way 🙂

I was a bit worried to be honest. Mainly that my geo would be all screwed up and it would ride crap. The handling is better than I could have hoped for though. It’s very quick steering and so, so easy to pop onto the rear wheel. The high BB makes it great at low speed too.
    The other worry was that I might hate the Rohloff, no wories there though. The low gear grinding isn’t as bad as I’d been led to believe and the percieved drag just isn’t an issue.
    Delighted!
    [/url]
    [/img]

Biggest lesson is when someone asks for a short chainstay bike, 135 Rohloff rear-end and clearance for 4.8″ tyres, just say no!

Ach, now you’ve got it sussed the next one will be easy. You’ll be churning them off the production line soon enough..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Three things annoy me about this.

1 i just bought a 9zero7 to do a similar build on

2. I dont have patience to wait on a shand being built

3. I dont have the funds to pay for a shand being built 🙂

bedmaker

2. I dont have patience to wait on a shand being built

I put the deposit down on May 24th, picked up the frame on June 7th… not too shabby eh? 😉

shandcycles
    Free Member

I put the deposit down on May 24th, picked up the frame on June 7th… not too shabby eh?

and for most of that time, we were hanging around waiting for you to choose the colour.

bedmaker

Well, you will offer 35 different shades of white though. Doesn’t make it easy y’know.

I think Unicorn’s Eyelash was just the right shade of white in this instance.

shandcycles
    Free Member

I think that one was actually ‘morning stain’.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Looks great !

letmetalktomark

Loving this 8)

A couple of questions if I may …..

Biggest lesson is when someone asks for a short chainstay bike, 135 Rohloff rear-end and clearance for 4.8″ tyres, just say no!

How on earth is this possible 😯 Need chainsstay/seatstay photos!

How do you find the Bud/Lou tyres on the Marge Lites? Much in the way of squirm?

I’ve yet to try my Nates (Puffin build 🙄 😆 ) but have to say a Bud looks interesting.

Lovely work Mr Shand. You have mail.

letmetalktomark

Loving this 8)

A couple of questions if I may …..

How on earth is this possible 😯 Need chainsstay/seatstay photos!

How do you find the Bud/Lou tyres on the Marge Lites? Much in the way of squirm?

I’ve yet to try my Nates (Puffin build 🙄 😆 ) but have to say a Bud looks interesting.

What ratio are you running for the Rohloff?

Lovely work Mr Shand. You have mail.

takisawa2

If that was green it would be right up my street.

bigyinn
    Free Member

shandcycles – Member

I think that one was actually ‘morning stain’.
    Proper lol at that!
    If I need a custom fat bike, you’ll be my first choice for that remark alone!

bedmaker

How on earth is this possible Need chainsstay/seatstay photos!

I’ll get some pics up for you. It has plates, very much like the puffin. The chainstay goes from 423-440mm with the Paragon rockers.

The Buds are fine on the Marge lites, although I haven’t done much riding on it yet.
    The Rohloff is on 28-13. I’d have liked to use a bigger sprocket, but using the little one helped with chainline as it is offset. There’s also no room for a bigger chainring than 30T. It’s pretty uncompromising really, everything is pretty much on the limit of what’s possible.
    It’s 29+ ready too 8)

bedmaker

Sliders all the way forward, ruler aginst the closest knob to the side
    [/url]
    [/img]

Sliders about halfway, the bristles are 5mm long
    [/url]
    [/img]

Offset noticeable from directly behind
    [/url]
    [/img]

But not noticeable otherwise
    [/url]
    [/img]

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Love it! Just wondering if those plates on the chainstay will twist a bit under load?

bedmaker

Just wondering if those plates on the chainstay will twist a bit under load?

They do for sure, but no more than any other steel frame I’ve had, and certainly less than the Ti 29er I had a few years ago which had tubular stays and a bridge. The tyres would buzz the stays from side to side on that one.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Looks great John. Is this going to Spain soon?

bedmaker

Yup. Next September booked in 8)

bruneep

Nice bike ball park £?

riddoch

Just guessing but if you have to ask you can’t afford it. 😀

bedmaker

I’m not sure I want to add it up properly, it’s a lot. Roughly three months take home pay for a fireman in 2007 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I find the Bud outperforms a Nate for grip, rolling resistance and cushioning. – the Nate feels more responsive in cornering though.

bedmaker

Yeah, I find the Bud much better all round. Big volume is good, bigger volume is better!

It even works well (ish) on the road if you have a long road section as part of a ride. Pump it up to 20 and it rolls nicely along on those long ridges of knobble.
    I find the Nate much more draggy, with the ‘paddle’ style knobs across the tyre.

letmetalktomark

Looks great from the back – Like an early Clockwork on steroids! 8)

Clearance seems pretty reasonable. Any obvious tyre buzz?

I imagine if you ran a Nate or sure like the clearance would be more than ample.

In due course I would like to try a Bud up front 😛

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Looks lovely.

Possible for a belt-drive version for extra niche?

bedmaker

Belt drive, I don’t really see the point on a MTB where it’s having to deal with mud and grit. On the road, definately, but not off road.
    Even if I wanted it though, it simply wouldn’t fit as the sprocket is much larger, meaning a larger (and wider) chainring too. There’s nowhere to fit it in!

No tyre buzz MArk, but then I haven’t been mashing uphill on it. I’m conscious of the Rohloff gearing being very low so I’m trying to spin uphill smoothly rather than than mashing a big gear.

It will be SS at some point, but 29+ rather than fat so there would need to be some major twisting going on to make that rub.

bruneep

One months pay dividend as company director then 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘My new big fat bouncy BMX’ is closed to new replies.