Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • My New 5 Spot – Warning, kid size bike
  • Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

After many happy years on the Horst link I decided to get a DW.

glenh
    Free Member

Toaster has a smear on it.

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Damn, i'll get the cleaner in

UK-FLATLANDER

Very nice.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Turners rock. That one appears to have shrunk in the wash though.

Do you have to stand on a chair to use the toaster??

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Cheek of it

slowrider
    Free Member

your stem is longer than your seat tube

lowey

Sod all that… how does it ride compared to the HL spot ?

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

it rides great.
    So far I've only managed an off road commute as a bit of a shake down.
    I'll drop through the woods on the way home and open it up a bit.
    So far the DW is far better when pedaling, the squat that was noticeable on the HL has gone and it doesn't bob either. Silky smooth suspension action.
    I'll post again when I give some rough stuff

coogan
    Free Member

I'm doing the same swap. Though not quite as small.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Why such weedy rims on a 5 Spot?

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

It is a shame about the bent top tube but I needed a size small, so I have to live with it.
    The cable routing is the only other bit of a problem. Took a bit of time to sort properly. I've zip tied the big bend in the front mech cable near the rocker links just under the seat clamp to keep it from rubbing on the rocker.
    Also zip tied the rear brake hose to the lower DW link. Keeps it away from the shock. I hate to say it but the cable runs would probably have been better under the downtube a bit like spesh do.

glenh
    Free Member

Why such weedy rims on a 5 Spot?

717s are fine if you don't weigh much.

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

I've run 717s on my bikes for about 5 years now and they have never let me down.

vernon-sez
    Free Member

717s are sound. Light and plenty strong for most riding. My 717's were survived the mega last year (ok, they needed a tweak or two after!) but it's all in the build. Will be fine for a hobbit

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

My XL is at the other end of the size scale, enjoy, its a great bike.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Mine arrives from Spain next Wednesday!

Hooray!

takisawa2

Running 717's here with 2.35 Kendas.
    No problems.

And I like the bent top-tube.
    And you've a nice kitchen.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

They are awesome 8)

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Cheers takisawa2

heihei

Looks like a lardy bloke has sat on the top tube!!

Only joking….awesome bikes…..

nickc

The DW rear on Turners isn't doing it for me I'm afraid. The FSR ones were almost acceptable looking (with the obvious caveat that all FS bikes look a bit shit really). Just doesn't look like a Turner anymore

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Luckily I prefer function over form. 😮

gizzardman
    Free Member

Unreal bike, not owned many but this would have to take some beating…

pinches
    Free Member

seeing as you have a tiny bike, how light are you to run 717s? I am thinking of running my 717s on my new build and weigh in at just under 10st

cpon
    Free Member

Nice, your son must be chuffed.

coogan
    Free Member

with the obvious caveat that all FS bikes look a bit shit really

Theres plenty bikes that look a bit shit regardless of being FS or HT. A Trek 69er being a prime example.

martinxyz
    Free Member

go for it,pinches. but remember tyre width is limited. wider tyres will fit.. but they wont work when you get to a certain width.once you push them around you soon find out why you need to get a wider rim or go back to a narrower tyre.

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

I'm 11 stone. You'll be fine with 717s.

pinches
    Free Member

sweet thats great news.

what size tyres is the max you can run on a 717 then? running 2.1s al round at the moment but i'd like to run a 2.25 nobby nic or a 2.35 high roller up front with a 2.1 racing ralph or a 2.0 larsen on the back

scruzer
    Free Member

717s all the way Im 12 stone and run 2.35 ramapges without any issues had em on various bikes since they came out,

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I think it looks pretty good. I'm more interested in the superior suspension kinematics than the looks to be honest though.

Cable routing on the new one does look like a bit of an after thought though.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Everyone moaned about the cable routing at first, but in reality is works really well. Full outers all the way too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It needs some minor tweaks to improve and limit cable rub on the frame and it would be better it the cables and brake hose ran inside the rear subframes stays rather than outside.

IMO of course.

IdleJon

pinches – Member
    seeing as you have a tiny bike, how light are you to run 717s? I am thinking of running my 717s on my new build and weigh in at just under 10st

I've used 717s since I was an 11st racer – I'm now over 13st and still running them. In fact I ordered a pair for my new bike today.

Max tyre width is supposedly 2.2", although the 2.25" Cinders on my 'Dale Rush fit well and haven't rolled off or anything silly.

Very good rims but of course it's the actual wheel build that determines how strong the wheel is.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘My New 5 Spot – Warning, kid size bike’ is closed to new replies.