Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • My names Oldgit, and I've bought a triple.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Must be me age, and we’re talking a triple for the road. Quite looking forward to mile munching in that 48t top.

Oh… when you said triple, I thought you meant…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Audax material.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It will be niche again soon, so you’re probably already ahead of the curve.

wingnuts

I’m even older than you oldgit, so I’ve gone from triple to a compact with 48 and 34. the basis of this decision is my arthritic left hand doesn’t have ego move the lever so far. And with a MTB cassette it give the same range of gears.

Anything to keep riding counts…. well perhaps not the South Bucks CTC.

faustus

No shame in that, i’m reasonably young (so I keep telling myself, at 33) and I have a triple too, on a mtb!?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Crack on, ride Devon you’ll need it. 😀

core

I don’t know what the problem with a triple (on anything)* is – if that’s what suits your riding and level of fitness best then go for it, there’s no kudos to be gained from struggling like hell on a 1×10 or compact, and pushing up every hill, just because it looks neater and is more in line with current fashion.

Also don’t get this 1×10 with a dinner plate added on, a bodged mech and uneven gaps in your cassette, if 1×10 isn’t enough, stick another front ring on!

*besides maintenance in this crappy UK weather

Teetosugars
    Free Member

No shame in that..
    I’ve one on my Vaya.
    Originally started off with a compact, but the realised how much simpler it would be with a Tripple..

darrell
    Free Member

Ive got a triple on my Cotic Bfe

oh the shame hey

its been there since i built up the bike about 6 years ago and works grand. the big ring is for pottling to the local trails and the mid and granny for the actual trail riding

z1ppy

shhh I’m currently replacing my (worn out) 1×10 with a 2×10, don’t tell anyone, and man am I looking forward to having a proper(ish) gear range again

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve got one on my race bike.

Great for winding folk up.

ransos
    Free Member

I changed from a triple to a compact. The triple is better.

brakes
    Free Member

just because it looks neater and is more in line with current fashion

were triples not invented due to fashion? when more and more gears was deemed better?

fasthaggis

I got the chance of some cheap Dura Ace triple sti levers ,so they are on my road bike now,like ladies in waiting 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Forget Triple’s on road bikes… MTB cassettes is where it’s at! 🙂

vinnyeh

Triple on my caad9.
    And ss and 1×10 on the mountain bikes …

core

just because it looks neater and is more in line with current fashion
    were triples not invented due to fashion? when more and more gears was deemed better?

I guess so, but at least it has actual benefits and serves a purpose. Less gears, generally, just means harder work.

stevious

If someone actually, genuinely gives a stuff about which gears you choose to put on your bike then they have something genuinely missing from their life and deserve nothing but pity.

velocipede
    Free Member

Ive just bought a winter road bike with a compact— but my carbon race bike has a triple — you go figure!!???

ton

22/32/42 front
    12/36 cassette

spinning is cool…. 8)

IanW
    Free Member

New bike time for me, triple is on the must have list. Now you mention it sandles seem sensible too.

oldgit
    Free Member

Crack on, ride Devon you’ll need it.

Funny you should say that, I’m doing the Leighton Buzzard to Exeter and back 600km later this year.
    Also got a Pyrenean 600km with over 45,000′ of climbing.

oldgit
    Free Member

And why are triples un-cool and a bazillion sprockets on the back the bizz?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘My names Oldgit, and I've bought a triple.’ is closed to new replies.