Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • My name is Keith and I'm the mayor of Islamabad
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

It just wouldn’t happen. So what is going on?

curto80
    Free Member

Here’s hoping the mods delete this before it gets any nastier

DezB
    Free Member

Nastier? Brave maybe, but not nasty (at time of posting)

derek_starship
    Free Member

Curto80. In what way is my post nasty?

wrecker
    Free Member

It just wouldn’t happen.

Why not?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So what is going on?

The people of London welcome diversity.

And they don’t have time for those who try to create fear and division.

Hope that helps.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Wrecker – you honestly think a white Christian would be voted in as mayor in Pakistan?

curto80
    Free Member

Really? I think you know exactly what I mean.

But for the record Sadiq Kahn was born in Tooting.

v8ninety

No, I don’t suppose in the current world we live in, it is very likely. And you know what, that makes me quite proud to live in this society. For all its faults, it got this right.

colournoise

derek_starship – Member
    Wrecker – you honestly think a white Christian would be voted in as mayor in Pakistan?

Possibly not, but this is an issue how?

We are a mongrel nation, built on diversity and immigration. Pakistan is not. The new Mayor of London is as British as me as far as I can tell. What’s the problem, unless you’re a racist?

bruk

Pakistan/Islamabad is not the relatively secular, ethnically diverse city/country that London/UK is. So yes you are correct it would not happen there.

your point is?

v8ninety

Although the titular Keith could well be one of the 4% Christian population of Islamabad, and the good people of Pakistan could well surprise us. There’s been a good few surprises in global politics recently, some that Trump others.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

your point is?

I think his point might possible be that Pakistan isn’t as nice a place as the UK when it comes to human rights.

Bearing in mind Sadiq Khan, who is London Mayor btw, wouldn’t be able to practice as a human rights lawyer or vote in favour of same sex marriage in Pakistan, both of which he’s done, he’s probably got a point.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I disagree i think derek is simply posting thinly veiled racism after getting in from the pub pissed.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Would you have had a problem with Zacharias Goldschmidt?

scuzz
    Free Member

Mayor Keith? No – but there was Empresses Victoria and Emperors Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII and George VI.

But I guess that was OK?

A good series of edits there JY!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I disagree i think derek is simply posting thinly veiled racism after getting in from the pub pissed.

Derek a racist?

Whatever makes you think that?

This perhaps?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/red-nose-day#post-2342166

allan23
    Free Member

It’s been a nice sunny day and then some racist goes and lowers the tone, classy.

http://explosm.net/comics/3408/

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am , uncharacteristically, somewhat drunk – first drinks of the year!!!
    It makes me brief…who knew 8)
    EDI: I dont even know what I originally put there tbh but i did edit 😳

chewkw
    Free Member

My name is Keith and I’m the mayor of Islamabad

😆 Do you have The Beast as transport over there? 😛

v8ninety

5 years ago

Bloody hell Ernie! Kudos for your little black book keeping there; that was at your fingertips! I can’t find the stuff I said a month ago, let alone 5 years ago…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just to be clear I’m not accusing Derek of being a racist, I was interested in why Junkyard might think he was.

I thought he might have heartrending concern for human rights violations in Pakistan.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Haven’t read the thread in detail, but I think this may be relevant? Cut and paste entirely from something on Facebook so you can check yourself whether it’s accurate or not 🙂

“A CHRISTIAN COULD NEVER BE ELECTED MAYOR IN A MUSLIM CITY!”

Since Sadiq Khan’s election as Mayor of London, many people seem to be suggesting that no Muslim city would ever be open-minded enough to elect a Christian as mayor.

So, in the interests of accuracy, and because FACTS ARE OUR FRIENDS, I present a list of some of the many Christians who have done just what Mr Khan has done – been elected to high office in Muslim countries where they are a religious minority:

* In 2005 Alees Salman became the first Christian and first woman to chair Bahrain’s upper house of Parliament. Bahrain is 70% Muslim.

* Pakistan currently has a Christian minister of ports and shipping, Kamran Michael. Pakistan is 96.4% Muslim.

* The Turkish city of Mardin recently elected its first female Christian mayor, Februniye Akyol. Turkey is 96.5% Muslim.

* Boutros Boutros Ghali, a coptic Christian and former head of the UN, was Egypt’s Foreign Minister for 14 years. Egypt is 90% Muslim.

* The capital of the world’s most populous Muslim country, Indonesia, has a Christian governor, Basuki Tjahaya Purnama. Indonesia is 87.2% Muslim.

* Senegal had a Catholic president, Léopold Sédar Senghor, for 20 years. Senegal is 92% Muslim.

* Lebanon had a Christian president, Michel Suleiman, from 2008-2014. Lebanon is 54% Muslim.

* The mayor of Ramallah, the capital of Palestine, is Janet Mikhail, a Roman Catholic (thanks to Jason Faulkner for that one!).

It is fantastic that London has resisted the tide of Islamophobia sweeping our culture to elect a mayor based on his policies and personal qualities, but let’s not pretend that ‘western’ countries are the only places where religious minorities can be elected to office.

On the other hand, it would be irresponsible to suggest that no countries have restrictions on the religion of those who attain public office. Some countries have laws explicitly stating that the Head of State must belong to one particular religion, a form of religious bigotry that is unacceptable in the 21st century.

One such country is Britain, where the law states that the monarch must be a Christian Protestant.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was interested in why Junkyard might think he was.

well one of us is drunk and leaping to fanciful conclusions…obviously.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I do most of my profound thinking in a pub.

Drac

Is this Derek?

mrsfry
    Free Member

England pretty well slaughtered its way across the globe, so I think you did have some chap at one point in time who would be ‘OK’ for you to bring home to mother.

Why are you picking on Islamabad and Keith?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is this Derek?

You might laugh and sneer but it was bad day for racists in London yesterday – Paul Golding of Britain First only got 1.2% of the vote.

While David Furness of the BNP only managed half of one percent.

Even UKIP, the more respectable racists who everybody feels they can vote for, only got 3.5% of the vote.

Northwind

#londonhasfallen

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is a truly fascinating thing that the more multicultural an area is the least racist it is. Its almost as if , when you live side by side, that you realise other folk are, basically, just the same as you.

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    It is a truly fascinating thing that the more multicultural an area is the least racist it is. Its almost as if , when you live side by side, that you realise other folk are, basically, just the same as you.

Same? In what way?

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thanks Obama. I bet this was his plan all along
    He’s a very cheeky chap

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Same as in same… Human beings who want to live and enjoy life. Made the same way, live in the same place do similar things.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Derek, I’m not really understanding the point, are you saying that London being culturally diverse and accepting is a good or a bad thing?

chewkw
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Same as in same… Human beings who want to live and enjoy life. Made the same way, live in the same place do similar things.

Live in peace, yes.

Enjoy life? May be. Vast majority of people are just glad to live a life without sickness, stress and alive.

Made the same way? I don’t get this. Are there any other way?

Live in the same place? Where? I definitely Do Not want to live in London.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Why are you deliberately misunderstanding what Mikewsmith said. It’s not that hard to understand
    Or I’m really smart (which i highly doubt)

jambalaya
    Free Member

We are a mongrel nation, built on diversity and immigration. Pakistan is not. The new Mayor of London is as British as me as far as I can tell. What’s the problem, unless you’re a racist?

Pakistan is as much a “mongrel” nation as Britain and only came into being post WW2 so rather difficult to define a cultural heritage really. Its most certainly less tolerant though. Agreed Sadiq is as Britsh as am I.

2:47am was rather pissed now sober again, is that relevant and why is everyone up so late ?

chewkw
    Free Member

mrsfry – Member
    Why are you deliberately misunderstanding what Mikewsmith said. It’s not that hard to understand
    Or I’m really smart (which i highly doubt)

I really do not know what similarities are you lot referring to. Be precise.

If you are referring to the obvious then you might as well not say it.

That’s the reason why I want to know why someone would make an assumption or a generalisation about we are the same.

If you are able to explain on behalf of Mikewsmith then please do so.

I am being serious here and not taking the mick.

What are the “same” you are referring to?

jambalaya – Member
    2:47am was rather pissed now sober again, is that relevant and why is everyone up so late ?

Hora started a thread about scooter so now I am watching scooter on Youtube taking a ride with people reviewing their bikes while “sight seeing” other countries … some countries are very scenic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

am being serious here and not taking the mick.

Same on the inside, same blob of flesh and bone. All of them living in the same city. People like to exploit difference and ignore similarities.

When Obama was elected they asked a black woman if she was happy now a black man could be elected president. Her reply was simple, it would be a good day when the question wasn’t even asked.

chewkw
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

am being serious here and not taking the mick.

Same on the inside, same blob of flesh and bone. All of them living in the same city. People like to exploit difference and ignore similarities. [/quote]

I agree but the similarities stop there.

When Obama was elected they asked a black woman if she was happy now a black man could be elected president. Her reply was simple, it would be a good day when the question wasn’t even asked.

I am afraid to tell her that she will have to wait for a very long time for that day to come.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘My name is Keith and I'm the mayor of Islamabad’ is closed to new replies.