Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • My name is Earl- Why do I dislike and love it at the sametime?
  • hora
    Free Member

Anyone else? Love it and don’t if that makes sense? Its pace and laidback humour irritates yet its brilliantly written 😕

AndyP
    Free Member

It’s all about scientology and therefore sucks. And yet..

pk-ripper
    Free Member

cos you’re a bell-end hora?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

cos you’re a bell-end hora?

LOL.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m not sure how its pace and laidback humour can irritate. Thats what makes it for me.

Scientology – what the? Errr im no expert on scientology but I’m fairly sure its not?

deadlyhifi
    Free Member

it’s brilliant. They never mention scientology, the ideas of ‘reap what you sow’ extend through just about every religion.

The third series (was it?) where Earl was in prison and they did that creative writing stuff, that was embarrassingly bad, but I think that was during the writers strike.

willard

Because it’s American and therefore has to have that saccharine ending? Everything working out?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

coffeeking- jason lee is almost as big a scientology freak as tom cruise. but he’s not as much of a plum, so it’s okay to like him and his work.

almost all of the guest stars on it are scientologists too, and i think the entire premise of the show is rooted in some aspect of scientology.

still, it’s entertaining and very funny at times; last night’s new episode was great.

hora
    Free Member

last night’s new episode was great.

Agree 🙂

I’m not sure how its pace and laidback humour can irritate. Thats what makes it for me.

Its toooo laid back for me. Prefer my comedy faster- I guess more cerebral in ways (oi leave it PK)

Surfr
    Free Member

I had no idea about the Scientology conection until I happened across the Scientology wikipedia page last week and noticed the Jason Lee snippet. Oh well. I didn’t burn my Top Gun DVD so I’m not about to burn my Kevin Smith collection either. But yeh, great show 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Surfr no offence mate. You need to stand up for your principles. I can mail you my postal address for your boxsets 😉

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Its because every episode is almost the same and you feel like your wasting your life listening to the same clichés again, but at the same time it is actually quite funny.

Same goes for scrubs you like the characters + jokes are funny but once you’ve watched about 3 episodes you realise its the same thing again and again and again. I mean the jokes are good but really how they got more than about 6 episodes out of it ???

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Taken from wikipedia

My name is earl – 85 episodes … so far
    Scrubs – 154 episodes … so far

If you look at good british comedy’s ie

Blackadder – 24 episodes
    Father Ted – 25 episodes
    Faulty Towers – 12 episodes

There simply isnt enough material from the original to make that many episodes and make them all feel different.

hora
    Free Member

Blackadder – 24 episodes
    Father Ted – 25 episodes

I own all those 8)

dooosuk
    Free Member

Nadine Velazquez is why I like it :

pk-ripper
    Free Member

it’s entertainment if it’s on. if it’s not, i don’t miss it.

AndyP
    Free Member

There simply isnt enough material from the original to make that many episodes and make them all feel different.
    that, and the fact that Americans can’t do good TV.

hora
    Free Member

that, and the fact that Americans can’t do good TV

Whooooooa windmills into this thread as well.

Will and Grace ROCKED!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Will and Grace ROCKED!

you are joking, aren’t you?
    i mean, come on…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wasnt aware of any scientology link, so they’re obviously not doing it to promote that lol. I thought the premise of the show is based on karma, Which is a budhist belief, and always was? I like it. I like the saccharine endings, I like the basic good nature and pleasant overtones that come from it.

I think the long-running american ones can run out of puff, but some earlier than others. MNIE hasn’t yet, quite. Will and grace did after the first episode.

dooosuk has a point. Put it away 🙂

willard

ck… Misinformation! What better way to promote scientology than to make a TV show that hinges on karma.

Think about it!!

Damn, these scientologists are clever

coffeeking
    Free Member

willard – doesnt work if most of the viewers have no idea it has anything to do with scientology, karma != scientology!

hora
    Free Member

Surely Scientology is just cherry-picking and trying to ‘evolve’ to attract new cult victims by linking with Karma?

igm

So for the innocents what is scientology?

My name is Earl just has me rolling about in stiches laughing, partly due to its brilliant jokes and partly due to its absurdity and partly (having lived there briefly) because it takes the piss out of small town America (albeit in a very sympathetic way)

hora
    Free Member

Love the clip yesterday- Earls Mum was recalling the story of him pissing on the rug in the living room- cut to a small naked boy (and his Mum)…me thinking but his Mum looks the same! ….little kid wanders off and a pissed Earl wanders in and starts wazzin’. Class. Subtle.

Then there are the flashbacks- they all look the same except for bad wigs and 70’s clothing. Class.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Scientology is a made up religion. The creator openly admits he made it all up or something along those lines.

Has a celeb following e.g. Tom Cruise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘My name is Earl- Why do I dislike and love it at the sametime?’ is closed to new replies.