Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • My MTE P7 helmet mount
  • GW
    Free Member

Just thought I’d share how I mount the torch on my lid with you lot.

all you need is some 3M lockblock – like this
    a velcro strap, they’re available loads of places (IKEA does 3 for a quid).
    and an O-ring

cut a strip of Dual lock to fit onto the flat part on the torch where the MTE logo is and a larger section for the helmet.
    with the Dual lock in place simply stick the torch on the helmet, wrap the velcro around it and through the vents to hold in place, the O-ring is slid over the torch onto the fins towards the front and used to steady it even more, fitting a thicker o-ring will allow you to fine tune the upwards angle of the beam.

in the first picture it shows the DX handle bar mount, this can still be used fine too, I just had to cut two small rectangular shaped sections out of the rearwards corners of the rubber shim.

loris
    Free Member

Looks good.

I tried one on my helmet and it was a tad too heavy for me, how do you find the weight?

I’m looking at either remote mounting a battery pack, like turboferret or another smaller torch.

z1ppy

loris – the weight is unnoticable one your off riding IME (but then I have a big ed anyways….)

I use one of these with a Giro Xen and find it sit on the back shelf of the helmet without any need for ‘shims’.

40mpg

I had the helmet mount for my old 1st gen Joystick (a really great mount) and shimmed the torch with the sleeve from a external BB to fit. The Joystick mount is on a ball and socket so instantly adjustable. Works a treat.

takisawa2

I have mine on a Xen but use the Fenix LockBlock around one of the horizontal bars on the helmet. Dont find the weight an issue at all.

GW
    Free Member

Had an HID mounted via the Dual lock before which was heavier with a far higher centre of gravity. – don’t even notice the P7 in comparison

anlegov
    Free Member

Better than the Fenix LockBlock (and much cheaper) is the DealExtreme jobbie “Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers”

null

because the two arches are not at 90 degress to each other, and so it is much more likely to fit the “longways” ribs on your helmet.

GW
    Free Member

your linky no worky
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000

that looks like it’d wobble about a bit, does it?
    also from my experience with my previous HID set-up the light being mounted raised exadurates the feeling of the extra weight as you move your head around

tandemwarriors

I found the weight on top made my lid drop forward over my eyes, especially on rocky DH’s. Try the dealextreme one above on the side of your lid, just above your ear. Personally find the lower CofG makes it much more comfortable.
    Rob

GW
    Free Member

sounds like your helmet isn’t a very good fit or lacks a decent retention system.

z1ppy

“that looks like it’d wobble about a bit, does it?”
    I expected it too & expected to have to fit extra support, but I haven’t had an issues.
    I found when it get really bouncy, you bouncing about anyways so it’s doesn’t matter…

Oh and the fitting is different to the one in the picture, as the two straps are actually not inline but cross – does that make sense?

my linky worked for me btw….

anlegov
    Free Member

My linky didn’t work cos I am too dense to understand how to do it – my talents, I guess, lie elsewhere. Anyway, my DealExtreme “Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers” is a totally wobble-free arrangement. I use it in combination with a Fenix LD2 Q5 on the bars – but I find the bar-mounted light almost superfluous with the P7 on my bonce. Anyway, when I get home from work I’ll take a picture of my lid-mount-P7 combination, and I think you’ll be able to see from that that it is a pretty solid set-up.

GW
    Free Member

on this new forum links will now work if you just post them.

no need for HTML etc.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have my P7 with that Nylon Mount & its spot on no wobble at all.

jfeb
    Free Member

GW’s solution looks very neat. I’d be keen to try it but don’t really want a meter of velcro off eBay. Anyone got any spare they would like to sell (GW?)

MrAgreeable

jfeb, fabric shops sell self-adhesive velcro (which will do nearly as good a job) and it’s cheap as chips, about £2 a metre. You can use the extra to soundproof your bike, Sam Hill style. 😉

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/downloads/press/DT70_PRObikeHILL.pdf

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘My MTE P7 helmet mount’ is closed to new replies.