Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • My MK1 Exposure Joystick is finally no more….what to replace it with?
  • davidjey
    Free Member

My donkeys-years old* Exposure Joystick finally met its end on Friday, thanks to a very low hanging branched that ripped the helmet mount and light clean off. Still lying in a snowdrift somewhere. Battery life had got pretty pants so no great loss.

Anything cheaper than another Joystick I can replace it with? I’m looking for something I can use primarily as a secondary offroad helmet light (with a flood on the bars), but also as an occasional bar or helmet light for commuting. Must be cable free and switchable from bike to bike and from helmet to bars with minimal faff.

Ideas?

*Can’t figure out quite how old it was, but I know I bought within months of Exposure first bringing out the Joystick – anyone remember when that was?

Trimix
    Free Member

The new version – like the old one, but better (brighter, longer)

br
    Free Member

I’ve a newer Joystick, and love it – but tbh the £15 ebay specials the other guys I ride with are hard to beat.

Lately though I’m coming around to the idea of a better light on the helmet than bars, especially on the trails I now night ride.

jonba
    Free Member

one of neninjas glow worms.

X2 if you want bright, X1 if you want small.

Low profile and light.

Separate battery though but is easy enough to put in a jersey pocket or bag.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mine died last week. I think mine cost £165, so I don’t think I need to pay that these days for a 240 lumen light do I?

davidjey
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys – I think I meant to ask the question Oldgit asked!

ie what are my cheaper alternatives to dropping £150 on another Joystick – or is it worth it?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Just but an XML t6 torch for about a tenner.

pjm84
    Free Member

I replaced mine with a Fourth 4 Light.

I still have my Joystick Mk 1 but 240 luminen is pretty poor compared to 1700luminens on your head.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

XML torch – T6 is good, but you can get U2 and U3 now. As JGG says that’s about £10, but you do need a couple of 18650s and a charger which will cost you another £10 (though recycled laptop batteries are a good source of free 18650s).

STATO
    Free Member

The current (Mk7) joystick is £150 and kicks out 400 lumens. If your happy with 240 then finding some old stock in a shop should save you at least £50. The other alternative is their Sirius commuter light, basically same as a Mk5/6 Joystick, 360 lumen, less of the 2013 features and only £115 rrp.

I know there are alternatives, but for ease of use, switching between bike and helmet, lack of cables, its exposure every time for me.

M6TTF
    Free Member

plus one for the X1 from CRGMoto – amazing light, prefer it to my X2

tomaso
    Free Member

Ask Troutie to put a new led and driver in it and get to reuse the quality housing.

bigjim

I have a joystick maxx but use a £15 DX torch now, its better being able to change the battery. The joystick mount can be used for them too if you check the dimensions of the one you choose.

I would like to find out how to upgrade my joystick to a troutiefied XML one but he is hard to pin down – he did one on here last winter but there weren’t any details about the build.

davidjey
    Free Member

Ask Troutie to put a new led and driver in it and get to reuse the quality housing

That’s a great idea, scuppered only by the fact that the housing, along with the rest of the light and half the helmet mount, is lying in the snow/under a hedge somewhere alongside the Taff Trail 🙄

stevemorg2

I’ve got the one that Del suggests- works really well with a Joystick mount! I’ve just bought a Gloworn X2 for my lid which is supeb though – well worth the money!
    I’m thinking of selling the 1865 torch and joystick mount set up if you want something cheapish and decent though and in Cardiff

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘My MK1 Exposure Joystick is finally no more….what to replace it with?’ is closed to new replies.