Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My Mendips ride today – a few questions for those in the know
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Great ride from Rowberrow area over to Cheddar and back, via Christmas Trees, Badgers Arse and Limestone link, feels like good value for money as far as descending goes.

I rode the permitted bridleway near the top of Warren Hills Road for the first time, to connect with Badgers. Are there any other options there, or is it up the grassy singletrack, right turn to the rocky double track then steep left down to the Shipham road and left up Badgers near the bottom? I thought I’d heard of some nadgery stuff near one of the quarries?

Now, next question, East Twin Brook crossing on Limestone Link….has it been sanitised? I’ve never cleared it before (it’s become a bit of a mental thing for me) but today I did it and it seemed quite easy. But, I reckon someone has filled in the stream crossing (which was dry today) with some nice path shaped stones. Anyone else noticed that?

Velvet Bottom – how many on here ride at least some of it? C’mon, those rocky drops are too tempting not to have a go at, and the top section near the demolished outdoor centre is basically a tarmac road. And, it saves a lot of road time coming out of the gorge.

Anyway, fantastic ride and busy today. Fairly dry, so make the most of it.

cheers

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“I thought I’d heard of some nadgery stuff”

Indeed. But it’s a bit… sensitive.

“has it been sanitised”

Not that I have noticed.

Velvet – no comment. But I have noticed that people have difficulty with the last rocky drop.

If I could understand the email address in your profile, I’d email you about it 🙂 You could email mine and I will reply with the answer.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

VB – I bailed the last rocky drop on Thursday – First proper wet ride on the hardtail since the spring, I thought I ought to just be a bit sensible. VB is also the only off-road way to reach the top of the gorge on that side of the hill, without having to spin round charter house and King Down Farm on the road.

I thought the stream crossing looked a little different on tuesday night, not that I made it, but it did seem to roll through easier.

Nadgery stuff? you mean the mahoosive woodwork over the fence?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“VB is also the only off-road way to reach the top of the gorge on that side of the hill, without having to spin round charter house and King Down Farm on the road”

Sorry to be controversial but… I sometimes descend south from Beacon Batch to the pill-box, through Cow Field to the road on the BW, along the road a bit, then push/ride up the field to the stile at the top of Rhino’s Rift and descend that to Black Rock. Rhino’s Rift (yes it is called that on the OS map) is quite a good trail apart from a largish tree blocking it lower down 😉

“Nadgery stuff? you mean the mahoosive woodwork over the fence?”

Yes I think that’s what he’s asking about !!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’d forgotten about Rhino Rift.

I’ve done it a few times, but its always seemed very busy and full of tutting middle aged, middle class folk every time!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks guys, my suspicions might be right then about the quarry? That fisrt / last drop in VB had us, didnt look so hard but didnt make it this time.

email is agentdagnamit@gmail.com

thanks for any info, always good to discover new trails in an area you thought you knew well

cheers

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

ps – I also noticed a track heading down along side the stream at East Twin, near a recently fallen tree, never noticed that one before. guess it just leads down to the road up through Burrington.

I can see Rhino’s on the map, does accessing that trail involve going through Lower farm?

tangent
    Free Member

Just to clear up a confusion…the name “Rhino Rift” is actually refering to a cave that is located on the hillside there. The name for the woodland area is “Long Wood Valley” …oh and it’s a STW nature reserve.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Another thing about yesterday’s ride, I’m sure it was possible to see Pen Y Fan from Beacon Batch. I know you can often make out Sugarloaf, but I’ve never seen as far as the Beacons before. Some benefits of colder weather I guess..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

agent. YGM

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

oh and it’s a STW nature reserve.

Your point being?

cheers_drive

My mate cleared east twin on Tuesdays night ride – the first time I’d seen it done. I’d already stopped as having previously seen someone badly fall doing it I’d rather not risk it. Thinking about it did look smoother but I assume it was me just thinking it was easier as I’d just seen in cleared.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was out walking today and took a good look at it. It’s deffo been fiddled with. The clic people?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Neil? I’d guess not at this time of year. Its not really his bag either.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My Mendips ride today – a few questions for those in the know’ is closed to new replies.