Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • My memory is shot – can I reuse bits when bleeding XT?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I need to chop a few inches of hoses off as they’re too long. What can I do it with? Some cable cutters? No Stanley knife here as I left it at the office.
    Can I reuse the olive and the barb? Can’t buy anything right now and would like to go for a ride in the morning.

theotherjonv

some people say you can if you’re taking a hose off and then refitting in the same place. But once the olive is on and squashed, I can’t see how you’d get it off to refit anyway.

The inserts – yes, but you have to cut open the hose to get to it, and given the olive and insert comes as a package I’ve never bothered other than to find out how to do it. I suppose if there was a source of olives (are they a standard size) then it might become worthwhile but at £2 for a set how much can you save?

As for cutting without a stanley knife. I’d risk using the wife /mum’s best kitchen knife, it’s only plastic. Cable cutters, I think you may squash the hose too much.

If you have to ride in the morning, do it with the hoses too long rather than try a reuse bodge and F it up.

Hairychested
    Free Member

So basically, have a few beers too many, watch “Cleopatra”, stay in bed longer, order the bits (an olive, bur and oil) from CRC, do it on Tuesday, ride next Sunday?
    Haven’t ridden for a very long time, a week matters not.

theotherjonv

why can’t you ride if your hoses are too long? How long are they

Hairychested
    Free Member

They catch on the front wheel , the rear needs some 6″ cut, the front more like 9″.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘My memory is shot – can I reuse bits when bleeding XT?’ is closed to new replies.