Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My Mavic rims are too skinny
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Built some Mavic 719 rims up and never thought about the width of the rim.
    Not running massive tyres (Specialized Captian)

The tyre roll is terrible, even running them at at high PSi it feels like the tyre is going to roll off the rim.

Going to ditch them in favour of something else. Problem is in 20 years all I have ever known is Mavic.

A quick look shows Stans Flows are probably my best bet

Anyone else had this problem with skinny Mavic runs and had to switch?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just gone from EX721’s to XM719’s there is about 3mm of difference on the overall width and can’t feel anything on ardents.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

I don’t think the thin sidewalls of the captain tyres help, may have I look for some burlier tyres as well.

sandal100

I’ve just gone from Crossmax ST to Flow EX as I was getting some tyre roll and a feeling of it was about to wash out. The flow ex are a lot wider and the bike feels better. I am running hans dampfs though which are a big tyre

iainc

New 719’s here with 2.3 purgatory’s and they are spot on

jk1980
    Free Member

Not had that problem, but did switch from mavic to stans based on recommendations last year. They were absolutely awful so I’ve gone back to mavic!

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have 717 rims with a 2.4 front and 2.2 rear at the moment with no problem. I have had some issues with roll on a conti x king, especially on the back but i think it was more the tyre than the skinny rim, the current set up has been on since last summer and has been fine. Try other tyres before drastic action.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Jk1980, what was wrong with the the Stans rims?

Jrrr
    Free Member

i also run mavic 717’s with 2.2 rubber queens and im a BIG (fat) guy and dont have any troubles really…. maybe cause there is 50 psi in the rear there isn’t much tyre to move 😉

bland

717’s and 2.4’s don’t go together all too well, rolled mine off a few times the other year in the alps.

Magic have never changed their rim diameters, like ever! They obviously are happy with them.

shortcut

I’m sure this is a new problem invented by Stans….

jk1980
    Free Member

Matlockmeat – the issues I had with arch exs were: kept getting punctures, tyres wouldn’t sit straight, only drilled for presta and I found them near on impossible to get tyres on.

So in the end I just got p***ed off and thought: I’ve never had these sorts of issues with mavic, so I’m going back to mavic. Stans are light, ill give you that, but far too much hassle for me

zero-cool
    Free Member

Would it not be cheaper to get different tyres instead of build new wheels?

br
    Free Member

Take a look at Crests first, lighter than Flow’s but far wider than 719’s and happy with 2.2/2.4’s – run tubeless and happy at 25psi.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i remember back in the early y2k period when we(dh racers) all went from the wide disk rims back to d521s to get a rounder tire profile and thus a more predictable break when it was leaned over.

they do say fashion goes round in circles ….. keeps making money for co’s i guess

jonba
    Free Member

I found the crests to be better than the 717s for tyre profiles. Lighter too and easy to convert to tubeless.

It is worth noting that different manufacturers measure rims in different ways. The mavic 717 is 17mm, the 719 19mm but these are internal widths. You may find other manufacturers quoting external width that on paper look wider but in practice are the same.

adsh
    Free Member

I would have thought twice had I known 717s were 2.1 only according to the manafacturer. Currently running 2.2 MK protections which are a slim 2.2/chunky 2.1.

Fine at 32psi, at 29 it feels like the bike has a hinge in the middle. Then again more or less the same with Crests and 2.2 Schwalbes.

Any wider rims use the same spoke lengths as 717s?

mickolas
    Free Member

you need to know the ERD (Effective Rim Diameter) of a potential new rim. mavic 717 seem to be 541mm, but see some people say this is wrong and is closer to 538. would think that you would get away with a rim that sits in between the two without buying new spokes.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I tend to stick with nothing more than 2.2s on my 719’s and they have been great. Don’t go over 2.0 on my 717’s.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My Mavic rims are too skinny’ is closed to new replies.