Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • My 'little' WC2C film…
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

Hey, I hadn’t posted this yet as STW had promised to put it in mini movies so was holding off.

Some of you might know that I decided in a rather foolhardy way to have a go at Dave Buchanan’s WC2C route last year. Typically I was doing it for ‘charidee’ (you can still donate here btw 😛 http://www.justgiving.com/garyrideswc2c) raising money for Bristol’s Children’s Hospital – specifically the expansion of the premature baby ward.

I did it supported because I’d never done this sort of thing before, and being for charity, I felt I ‘had’ to finish regardless and going supported seemed to improve the chances in my mind. The upshot was that I was able to get it filmed and having gone back out and retraced the route to get more footage over the last year, I can now share that film.

It’s called “When Fools Ride” and it at least tells a version of the story of what happened that day. Anything that’s obviously live, is live, and happened as seen. Anything that looks like I probably had to go back out on the route several times and film loads of riding stuff, probably is! 😉

Anyway, I’d banked on a 24 hour attempt and it rather brutally turned into a 36 hour ride. Mainly due to weather (which doesn’t always come across in the film but it was a three seasons in August kind of day), navigation ineptitude, naivety and total inexperience doing long A-B challenges.

I hope you enjoy it because making the film has probably been more painful than the ride itself! (Hint, if you watch it on Vimeo, it is actually HD and bigger :D)

[video]http://vimeo.com/70842919[/video]

mtbfix

It’s on mid week mini movies extra. Watched it last night. Good effort, fella. Now get a proper rear light, eh?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cheers! An Exposure Flare not enough? Rich who was with me at night forgot to fit his though 😛

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What crash helmet is that?

GaryLake
    Free Member

It’s a Bontrager Lithos: http://bontrager.com/model/09080

rascal
    Free Member

Good effort fella – really enjoyed that.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Enjoyed watching that. Excellent.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve actually met him you know *hopes fame rubs off* but I’m not posting the picture!

As I said on Twitter, epic ride

GaryLake
    Free Member

Post the picture! 😛

And thanks again guys!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Just watched it on mini movies this morning …….loved it ….quite inspiring …….wanted to get out and ride …just putting on wy helmet now 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

Lovely video, epic ride, recognised so much of that from the Dave’s ride a few years ago, nice one Gary & Team. 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Love the film – made a perfect coffee break.

wallop

Show us the shorts twins!

Creg

Great video, looks like an amazing ride and congratulations on making it!

Would love to do something like that (although probably over a few days rather than all in one go 😉 )

rOcKeTdOg

Lol @ wallop

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’d love to be able to do it over a few days and spend more time exploring along the way too. Quite sad sometimes sweeping by good riding areas knowing you can stop for a proper mess about!

LoCo
    Free Member

Doing it over 4 or 5 days with beer and cake stops would be just the ticket 😉

rOcKeTdOg

yep, that’d be good, non of this sleeping out in all weathers nonsense though, B&B in or next to a pub would be my choice

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Nice video and well done on the ride. Makes me want to get out on the MTB.

I can no longer call my 6 hour Peaks rides “epic” 😥

Creg

Makes me want to get out on the MTB.

+1

Wish I hadn’t sold mine actually 🙁

GaryLake
    Free Member

I think 6 hours in the Peaks always qualifies as epic 🙂

northernerindevon

Nicely done Gary, just watched it whilst ‘aving my tea. Inspired me to go for a ride now. I’m offski. Well done!

v666ern
    Free Member

Rocketdog
    PLEASE post that pictures of ‘the riding twins’

rOcKeTdOg

Nooo

I wouldn’t want to spoil Gary’s thread

GaryLake
    Free Member

PLEASE post that pictures of ‘the riding twins’

At least in my defence, I was still technically in my 20s while wearing those shorts 😛

richpips
    Free Member

Great film. Well done on the ride, that was indeed a long day.

roverpig

Nice one Gary.

Your link doesn’t work though. At least, if I click on it in Firefox it includes the ) at the end and gives a 404 error. Easy enough just to remove the at the end from the address bar though. So don’t let that stop you folks 🙂

ton

fantastic that……well done mate.

sleigh62
    Free Member

great vid … really enjoyed watching it.
    Quite inspired to have a go … proper adventure!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Thanks again guys! And thanks muchly for the donation Roverpig! That link should have been: http://www.justgiving.com/garyrideswc2c

Not far off £1600 now in terms of online dontations 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

Finally caught up with this – superb effort!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cheers and thanks for the donation mate! 8)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘My 'little' WC2C film…’ is closed to new replies.