Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • My little ebay rant
  • pondo
    Free Member

Just trying to sell a fridge freezer – a couple of days after listing it, the highest bidder got in touch and said that model has been subject to a recall, were you aware and has it been recalled? A fair question – I said, we checked with the manufacturer and they said this fridge is unaffected, you can check yourself (and provided complete, step by step instructions, the serial number is in the pictures) and they will tell you that this model is unaffected, I can even forward you the mail they send as confirmation if you like? They then reply to say, quote –

=======================================================
    http://www.recalluk.com/latest/beko-fridge-freezer-fire-recall.aspx
    above is a LINK to the beko sits i have just looked at.
    your serial number and model number are included in these two lists.
    Just so you know, thats not a “mail”.

Now, before you even click on that link, you can see that it’s not the Beko website. Furthermore, if you DO click on the link, you’ll see that it lists model numbers but not serial numbers – even furthermore, it says that if your model is listed, you can check the serial number on the Beko site “by clicking this link” which takes you to the exact website I told them to use in the first place, where they can enter the serial number and it will say “this model is not affected”. That was all on Friday – yesterday morning, having heard nothing more, I sent them the following message –

Have you followed the advice on that link you sent me yet? Just interested to know if it tells you anything different to what it told me.

This morning, I get a message saying they’ve cancelled thier bid with the reason given being “buyer has changed the description”. I’m guessing I can’t compel them to buy it, and really, if they have just changed their minds or whatever, then that’s kind of fair enough. But I’ll be really annoyed if they think that I’ve been anything other than completely honest, on the basis that they’ve gone by some stupid 3rd party website rather than checking with the manufacturer (and not even fully done what the 3rd party site says – “if your model is listed, check with the manufacturer”, not “if your model is listed, the fridge has been recalled”).

Anyway, thank you for reading – I feel better for getting that off my mind. 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

There are some right dicks on eBay.

Do you really want to sell to someone like that? It’ll be more trouble than it’s worth.

DezB
    Free Member

Lucky escape from a moron buyer.

WackoAK
    Free Member

You’re probably better sticking it on Gumtree.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Sounds like he got cold feet and was looking for an excuse to cancel his bid

Also, +1 for Gumtree, I rarely sell anything on eBay now

holster
    Free Member

Ebay is a rip-off nowadays for sellers, I dont use it…Gumtree is much fairer and car boot sales much more fun.

globalti
    Free Member

We use Ebay a lot and don’t consider it a rip-off. Ebay allows us to sell stuff we don’t want, usually for more than we expected, and turn it into stuff we do want. That’s a valuable service, especially when overseas buyers are involved. I’ve sold ski touring kit to a German and an old motorcycle jacket to someone in Tokyo and bought a £700 carbon chainset from Taiwan for about £140. Seems pretty good to me.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

As above – close encounter with a tosser.

Lodge a complaint about non-paying buyer & re-list it. Or don’t re-list it, and use an alternative site.

Either way do the compaint thing – makes sure you’ll get your fees back.

I’m with globalti – the 15% spraypal/ebay fee is, despite being painful, generally worth it to get exposure to a very big list of potential buyers.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I have sold a fair bit of kit on Ebay.

The vast majority of the buyers are fine. However, you always get some dicks.

Sold a cd deck a few weeks ago, buyer claimed the CoAxial digital output wasn’t working, wanted me to buy them a high end optical digital cable so they could use the other output! Told them to return for full refund, they eventually did, it all worked perfectly. Sold it a week later to a really pleasant bloke, who collected, paid cash and absolutely happy! It was a cracking deck as well.

tmb467
    Free Member

actually you can compel them to buy but it involves going to court

An ebay ‘win’ is actually a legally binding contract and can be upheld (if you can be bothered and can afford to take it to small claims court)

pondo
    Free Member

Lodge a complaint about non-paying buyer & re-list it. Or don’t re-list it, and use an alternative site.

Either way do the compaint thing – makes sure you’ll get your fees back.
    Ooo, can I do that? Cool, will definitely do that, then.

Cheers for all the answers – never sure if it’s just me being dim, but I’m hopefuly I haven’t been too stupid in this instance. Never used Gumtree but might have a look .

pondo
    Free Member

actually you can compel them to buy but it involves going to court

An ebay ‘win’ is actually a legally binding contract and can be upheld (if you can be bothered and can afford to take it to small claims court)
    Does it make a difference, that the listing is still active at the mo? Be more trouble than it’s worth over an old fridge, but interesting all the same.

dooosuk
    Free Member

You can’t log a complaint against a non paying bidder as they didn’t win the auction (as it’s still active).

You can’t take them to court as they didn’t win either.

Forget it, let the auction run and get on with life.

konabunny
    Free Member

eBay might not be as good as Gumtree for selling domestic appliances imvhe of having just sold some thru Gumtree. Gumtree, eBay, Skype and PayPal are all the same evil empire anyway, aren’t they?

bigyinn
    Free Member

If the auction is still active then let it run. You haven’t lost out and someone else will buy it I expect.

Legoman
    Free Member

I’ve had this a couple of times recently – someone bids, then mysteriously cancels their bid before the auction ends.
    Really pees me off.

Is it a new function on eBay?

Just another reason why selling on eBay should only ever be the last resort.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve had this a couple of times recently – someone bids, then mysteriously cancels their bid before the auction ends.
    Really pees me off.

Suspect they’re trying to figure out the maximum bid of the current highest bidder. Would piss me off too if I was trying to sell something, but nothing you can do about it.

globalti
    Free Member

Had that recently. Someone told me there’s a new scam that involves bidding simultaneously on several identical items then going for the one you won for the least and denying you bid on the rest.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Annoying but it’s not a scam, it’s just people like you say bidding on multiple actions for the same stem/frame/forks/fridge freezer and winning one before yours finishes.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

If auction is still active, ignore everything I said.

Instead, ignore the annoying bidder and wait until someone else (hopefully less of a dick) wins it.

Madfly
    Free Member

Suspect they’re trying to figure out the maximum bid of the current highest bidder

Make sure you block the bidder if the auction is still running.

pondo
    Free Member

Cheers folks, much appreciated. 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘My little ebay rant’ is closed to new replies.