Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My life in pictures since joining this forum… inc. a rare GT
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

Just because I though some may be interested and its nice to share! 🙂

Selkirk 2009 (finished about 42nd on full course :D)

Nant yr Arian disaster – not sure how, slight memory loss about actual impact. Had to straighted leg and ride in rain for almost an hour to get to a farm. I rarely go out off-road alone, won't be doing that again. There was no mobile phone signal. I've never felt so alone, 20km around the 35km black loop.

Also, that yellow is bruising…

Aftermath – Ilizarov Frame / Fixator. Has been on since late August, will be on until at least March.

Project Zaskar – I've been wanting it since I was 14 (year 2001). Frame was new from the USA – the second after a hit and run destroyed my first 2 years ago, but this was bought as brand new! Includes polishing XT HT2 cranks to suit the new build. Thanks to all who sold their 2nd hand kit in the classifieds. Its still a great place to buy and sell despite what the recent threads say, although I don't know what it was like back in the day.

And the finished article:

Pretty eventful… comments welcome – I'd love to know what do you think of my Zaskar 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

so what's wrong with your leg? did the ride after make it worse?

Swalsey
    Free Member

My leg is broken quite badly (tibia, just above ankle) and fibia (not so bad, below knee). Muscles/tendons are still sore after 3 months, which were probably a little worse because my leg was flopping around whilst riding with the other leg, but I held it quite well most of the time so it won't gave affected it much…

bear-uk
    Free Member

Bloody hell, hope you get sorted out with the leg. When the leg rings are removed, cut them in halve and sell them as retro brake arches. The bike looks very nice.

juiced
    Free Member

sorry to hear about the leg.

However the Gt looks awesome.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

I like what you did with the cranks mate and the bike looks cracking.How did you get the cranks so shiny?

Radioman

Good luck and get well soon! that must have been a bad old crash. Good to see you are still motivated to get out there and go for it when you get better. Zaskar looks great. Very racy!

Im biassed as im an old git and like confy bikes so no way would I run it with rigid forks!! skills lessons will help build confidence back again after you get back, and you will be a better rider than before. I had to go back to basics and rebuild after a smash a few years ago..

Swalsey
    Free Member

Thanks fellas 🙂

@GSI-MAN – I used grades of wet'n'dry sanding paper (as wet) starting at grade 300 and working through 5 higher grades, then finally polished with metal polish – it took about 7 hours all in, but being off sick gives you plenty of time! More pics here.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Holy Sh1t Swalsey!!!!

Party on!!!!!

Nice GT

SB

boxelder

Aaaaarrgh

Oh My God

I've seen some shabby gardens on this site, but 😯

That hasn't happened since you broke your leg either, so no making lame excuses ("lame excuses" – geddit?? – genius)

Only kidding, leg looks sore. Looking at a new bike when you can't ride must be less than ideal.

pinches
    Free Member

sax_widby
    Free Member

i love the zaskar; when i graduate that's going to be the treat

krissboo
    Free Member

Now that is one sweet bit of retro. Even if the frame is new lol.

badnewz
    Free Member

The Zaskar looks as tight as a nut – congratulations that is going to be an awesome ride. I still pay out to maintain my 10 year old GT just because the frames make for such great riding.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments and compliment, and the pictures from pinches 😀 that was the first frame that was hit by a transit…

@boxelder – I got it lol. Its my girlfriend's shared garden (8 flats) until she moves to Newcastle with me in January, and I love it – because it's wild and I've put a cool (wagon) tyre swing up 😀 you're right about looking at a new bike you can't ride…

@Radioman – glad to hear other people have bounced back from such injuried, thanks 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My life in pictures since joining this forum… inc. a rare GT’ is closed to new replies.