Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • My LBS, just decided to stop using them…
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Just been into my local independent bike shop to pick up some stans tyre sealant.

neither of the two assistants had even heard of stans sealant, or indeed the brand “no tubes”!

once i had explained, and also asked for them to order me it it, as well as a dual ply minion with butyl insert, and I was informed that, amongst other things…

there is no point running dual ply downhill tyres to reduce pinch flats/dinged rims as all they do is protect against ripped side walls…

from the maxxis website….
    An extra layer of butyl rubber wrapped around the bead of a Downhill tire that helps prevent pinch flats and protects the rim from hard hits.

So they are more expensive than the online supermarkets, which i dont mind if the service is good, but clearly not….

/Rant

FuzzyWuzzy

Two of my LBS’s had never heard of chamois cream…

soobalias
    Free Member

i wouldnt be so quick as to believe whats written on the maxxis site.

santacoops
    Free Member

I have a LBS that chooses to turn their backs in front of me while discussing whether they have a specific part/tool/product i need. I go in there just to be annoyed.

duirdh
    Free Member

They’re kinda right, especially the dinged rims bit.. Run appropriate pressure and they’re right about the rest too

SiB
    Free Member

My LBS know what chamois cream is and even offer to apply it to me, fantastic service

watsontony
    Free Member

Just been into my local independent bike shop to pick up some stans tyre sealant.

neither of the two assistants had even heard of stans sealant, or indeed the brand “no tubes

do you live in great harwood?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Whereas I spent a happy half hour at lunchtime in my LBS discussing the merits of classic Marzochhi Bombers vs modern Fox forks, why big wheels are good, and so are small wheels, how to have the ultimate do-it-all mtb and why its not possible and then spent a good while poking around the workshop examining different spoke butting profiles (really!)

My LBS is ace. Shame he’s been done over by all the online shops and direct retail manufacturers so has had to take the drastic decision not to sell bikes anymore and concentrate on spares and repairs as that earns him more money.

xcgb
    Free Member

Ah but did you go in with Jaffa cakes?

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

🙄 everyone know it has to be chocolate hob nobs

IHN

Two of my LBS’s had never heard of chamois cream…

My local branch of Leisure Lakes had never heard of chamois cream when I sent the ex- to get some for me. Well, to be fair, I asked her to get me some ‘minty arse lard’, promising they’d know what she was talking about. Turns out that they had no idea 🙂

philfive
    Free Member

neither of the two assistants had even heard of stans sealant, or indeed the brand “no tubes

do you live in great harwood?

everybody in this area should use ATR cycles anyway.

geologist
    Free Member

Is your LBS Halfords 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Cable end crimps, outer gear cable ferrules various other stuff, had to go and show the lad what and where they were in his workshop, few years ago in a major chain bike store in Kingston, other side of the railway station from town 😉

excitable1
    Free Member

Not all LBS’s are the same though. Very happy with North West Mountain Bike Centre (unashamed plug !).

… but recently went into Royles in Wilmslow for some spare tubes (because I didn’t fancy going through the traffic on the M60 to get to NWMTBC). When I said ‘Mountain bike tubes, 3 for a tenner I assume (?)’ (because I don’t know any LBS that doesn’t do that), they looked at me like I’d p1ssed in their tea. I can’t remember how much it was for 3 tubes but it was that ridiculous I’ve blanked it from my memory like a near death experience before roaring with laughter and fleeing the store.

/rant about rip off Royles !

squiff
    Free Member

Cant do with my local local bike shop there proper shite 👿

so I go to my other LBS All terrain cycles who I have never had a problem with 🙂

twoniner
    Free Member

I have been using my LBS for years, since they started up and to be fair I have had pretty good service there and in turn I have bought a lot of expensive gear there that I could have got cheaper online.

In the last couple of years they have grown as a business (good on em) but I have noticed that the chats and banter we had has pretty much fizzled out, even being point blank ignored at times. Took it on the chin, figured they were busy and didn’t expect them to down tools to chat all the time.

Couple of weeks back I went in there in the market for a new full sus. One of the assistants came over and we were discussing a very nice bike which I was just about to pull me wallet out for when an American sounding mature student comes in after a bike on the CTW scheme. I was instantly dropped for the customer who sounded like she had lots of money to shell out.

Anyway, at this point I was a bit miffed and walked out. He saw me walking out and tried to do a re-gain but it was too late. I went to another LBS and spent my 2K on another bike.

I am still considering whether to go back there or not.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For many shops the sort of people on here are not what keeps them going its families and casual cyclist who would not know about arse cream and stans anyway

And if you have never been asked for the stuff before and or you have not been working in bike shops long

hitman
    Free Member

The rare occasions I need a bike shop I travel an hour plus rather than use my so-called LBS. Will be very surprised if many are around in 10 years time, hopefully only the really good ones.

edlong
    Free Member

So, in summary, some bike shops are good, some less so?

That’s a shocker, hey?

binners

Dear God! I’m not being funny, but things would have to be a lot more desperate than they are for the average LBS to want business off most of the people on here 😀

I’d include myself in that but unfortunately I’m an LBS’s wet dream. A clumsy idiot who constantly smashes stuff!

Luckily my LBS is really good and the guy who runs it look at me like an errant child as I get through the door and says “what’ve you broken now?”

Mind you, I can’t remember being let down like some of the people on this thread. Truly shocking stuff! 😯

philfive
    Free Member

yep some are very good.

ATR cycles for example, one man band, great advice, lets you borrow any bikes and is a bloody good rider that is passionate about.

* he may read this and give me free stuff.

seadog101

My lbs is ok, but I do not know how they are still afloat. Odd opening hours, little stock, expensive. Must be getting by on good service and no competition!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Think cycle scheme has helped keep many shops afloat
    But they do lose some of the money from your voucher in commission

cynic-al
    Free Member

AFAIK CRC, JRA et al have killed products like stans in real shops.

I’d also say the Maxxis website is talking guff so they’ve actually helped you out there – decent staff know when manufacturers are talking crap.

Trimix
    Free Member

It is hard actually employing knowledgable staff on the minimum wage. But that should not stop you training them.

Same for almost all shops to be honest.

My LBS is really the internet – I just had bloody brilliant service from the chap at UK bikestore. More local than a shop, cheaper, next day delivery, great banter on the phone, great service – even told me where to look online for further info.

The internet is not just better for prices, its better for information. Still, you need a person for service, but you can get that by phoning them.

excitable1
    Free Member

Big new LBS just opened in Helsby called Bike Logic. Used to be a small car show room. Only glanced at it as I drove past the other day and it looked mostly dark side stuff. Will check it out but they better do 3 tubes for a tenner or it’s the Royles treatment for them too 😀 !

ransos
    Free Member

My LBS made a complete mess of bleeding my brake, and refused to take responsibility for it. I estimate they’ve lost out on >£1k of sales as a result.

Northwind

With the same pressures, dualplies do provide better pinch protection and rim protection- hard to see how anyone could think otherwise tbh? They are stiffer/more supportive, it takes more force to pinch them.

But, people tend not to use the same pressures so it’s not that straightforward.

edlong
    Free Member

* he may read this and give me free stuff.

Very good point, that. Have I ever mentioned how great Al at Garage Bikes in Morley is? He’s very, very good….

duirdh
    Free Member

Only an idiot would use exactly the same pressures with dual and single plys.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever actually set foot in any of the 3 LBS around me.

unovolo
    Free Member

Went in Royles the other day and although they had some nice bikes and gear in ,it just did not have a good ‘vibe’ about it.
    Seems they are aiming themselves at the high end/big £ spenders with no real interest in grass roots cycling.

njee20
    Free Member

When I said ‘Mountain bike tubes, 3 for a tenner I assume (?)’ (because I don’t know any LBS that doesn’t do that),

Never heard of that in my life. I’d look at you like you were mental.

Northwind

duirdh – Member

Only an idiot would use exactly the same pressures with dual and single plys.

True. But many an idiot tries to use pressures with their singleplies that cause punctures, that would probably be fine with dualplies.

fazzini

My LBS (well it’s the nearest one to me) ‘lost’ my sons bike! Took it in, had some work done, got a cll to say it was ready. Spoke to same bloke (there is only 2 of them) when dropping bike off and when receiving call to say bike ready. Went to collect only to be told….”er, we haven’t got it….someone picked it up yesterday….”. “Intriguing” was my reply. Turned out when he looked for the 24″ wheeled silver bike, he couldn’t see it and was actually looking for a 26″ wheeled grey bike that he had given back to it’s rightful owner the previous day……not been back funnily enough!

Euro
    Free Member

My LBS is great. They stock practically everything, are cheaper than most of the online big boys (and price match if they’re not). They often give me discount (sometimes staff discount if I buy the right item) and on occasion I come away with a freebee or two. I can’t complain at all.

gonzy
    Free Member

Luckily my LBS is really good and the guy who runs it look at me like an errant child as I get through the door and says “what’ve you broken now?”

Binners – not Ride On by any chance? 😆

buck53

Always feel a bit left out with talk of LBS. If I take ‘L’ to stand for ‘Local’ then my LBS is Evans at Manchester Velodrome.

On the upside they’ve always been good with me, always have what I’m after and I don’t feel bad asking them to price match.

Always go when it’s quieter too, so don’t have to wade through crowds of kids/families/shop bores/people in general.

hillsplease

My LBSes (LBI?) are lovely. Hello Bikeshak and NWMTB. They’ve put up with all sorts of warranty based nonsense as like one of the other posters I am also heavy, clumsy AND cackahnded. It seems aluminium is surprisingly brittle in the wrong hands. As a consequence I am no longer allowed to use ‘can you just,’ as an expression and they’ve not yet learnt to lock the doors/ pretend to be out. Marvellous.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘My LBS, just decided to stop using them…’ is closed to new replies.