Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My Large BFe is too small….
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

After a year and a bit of trying to convince myself otherwise I’ve now accepted that my Large Cotic BFe is too small for me (I’m 6’5″), but I don’t know what to replace it with. I want to keep as much of my current components as possible (inc. 26″ wheels, 34.9mm dropper post and 1×9 with chain guide), but don’t know what to go for. I’ve looked at the XL Santa Cruz Chameleon, but it’s got a 30.9mm seatpost so the dropper wouldn’t fit. I’m also considering the XL Nukeproof Mega TR (although I wouldn’t want any more travel than that), so what else is worth considering? Thanks.

IA

34.9mm dropper post

You meant to type 31.6 right? 😉

34.9 is a seatclamp/front mech size.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Yep, I did mean 31.6mm, but read the wrong line of text and typed without thinking about it 😳

unklehomered
    Free Member

is it green and are you going to sell it?

~hand in the air, on tiptoes, ooo, oooo, oooo, oooo

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I went through the same process, but much quicker.

It is frankly nearly impossible to get a bigger frame on 26″ wheels…

I sold the frame and forks, kept the wheels as a spare set for the FS and ended up building a 29er in XL size, and don’t regret the decision.

I built a clockwork orange as the frame was £150 and I wasnt convinced by the whole 29er thing

A Solaris would be up your street and are 25% off from cotic in last years blue in XL…

bigblackshed

XL Solaris. Sounds right except the 26er bit.

I’m sure I read somewhere that Cy said you can run it with 140mm forks. Which would sound even rightererer.

sweaman2
    Free Member

bigblackshed +1 – As I see more and more 29er’s I think XL 26’ers just look “wrong” now for some reason. I know a couple of people who’ve switched to XL 29ers and wished they’d done it sooner.

JEngledow
    Free Member

is it green and are you going to sell it?

Sorry, but it’s black. I will be selling it, but not until I’ve got a replacement.

It is frankly nearly impossible to get a bigger frame on 26″ wheels…

Would I be better looking at FS then? If so what’s worth a look (that won’t bankrupt me (I’m tempted by the Nukeproof Mega TR, but I’m waiting to see if CRC reduce the price a bit more)!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m only 6’1″ (2″ if i stand up straight), but i’ve got a 36″ inside leg, so i’ve got a window into the world of proper tall people.

a ‘large’ cotic (hemlock) was too small for me, i couldn’t get the saddle high enough.

but i got on fine with a 20″ ragley blue pig. bloody great it was too – and very similar to the spirit of a bfe.

(not sure about the seat post size on the new ones though…)

or, how about a 20″ 456 evo? – £225.

batman11
    Free Member

Well my 2 cents first ragley blue pig nearly an inch bigger top tube and quit cheep plus more adaptable with fork choice as you don’t say what forks or travel there set at? Plus your seat post will fit. Got a buddy who’s 6.7 on one it’s a bit odd looking in terms of handlebars and stem as he’s got it all high raised for his back but it works.
    2nd privee Shan Xl 635mm or 25.4 top tube very low stand over and a great looking frame I recon ( I do have one :wink:)
    Ok only real issues price!, fork minimum travel 150mm and seat post!! You could try doing a swap on here of cause with the post plenty of people swapping frames or sell it with your cotic as a deal.
    Only other thing I can think of money no object is BTR fabrications custom build one to your spec.
    Bats.

bigblackshed

sweaman2 – Member
    As I see more and more 29er’s I think XL 26’ers just look “wrong” now for some reason. I know a couple of people who’ve switched to XL 29ers and wished they’d done it sooner.

Without getting in to yet another wheel debate, I think anyone over 6′, 6’2″ should be on the right 29er. I know the right 29er isn’t available for everyone or their style of riding, but it does kind of make sense.

I want a proper aggressive, slack, 29er HT. Not many about. Did look at a Canfield Yelli Screamy or Nimble 9. But I haven’t got that sort of money. $750 = £450. Buy in the UK £800. That’s a big chunk of a Solaris rolling chassis.

Euro
    Free Member

I think anyone over 6′, 6’2″ should be on the right 29er.

Why do you think that? Also not interested in another wheel debate but curious, over 6′ and ride 26″

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 2″, had a large BFe and found the same thing. Also, the bottom bracket was too high.

I’m now on a Large Whyte 909, which has a 35mm longer top tube, slacker angle and slightly bigger wheels. It’s the same forward. The 905 is available in XL too.

bigblackshed

Euro.

I’m talking general trail bikes here, not racing machines. 6’2″ and over are usually on large or XL frames. From observation most seem to be sat very on top of the bike. Rather than in it. Take a look at a 5’10″er on a medium. Usually much more in the bike. A 29er will by definition have longer chain stays. So with the seat post up to the “correct” position the riders weight will more centralised compared to a 6’4″er on a large 26er, where the rear triangle and seat tube angle is the same as every other size in the range. Mass produced bikes and frames only change the front triangle depending on size.

As a frame gets larger the rear triangle “should” get bigger as well. People will argue that they like short stays because of manoeuvrability. But that’s on the bike that fits them. Not someone 6″ taller. It’s laziness and economics that bikes are built to standard sizes. How much would extra would it be for each size frame to have the scaled up or down set of tubes.

All of the above is just my thinking out loud and doesn’t reflect what people ride, find comfortable or prefer. I’m 6″4″, 33″ inside leg, long body and long arms. I have my saddle too low, compared to what the bike fit people say, and ride an 18″ medium with a long TT. 😕

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My Large BFe is too small….’ is closed to new replies.