• This topic has 44 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • My kids are sorting out the CD shelf.
  • MoreCashThanDash

Stuff in there I’d forgotten I had. Bands I saw 25-30 years, great nights forgotten. So many memories. And it’s keeping them quiet.

But they are filing solo artists by their first names! 👿

Cougar

Seems sensible to me, it’s what I’ve done. Avoids the dilemma of what to do when a band name is also a person’s name. Do you file “Uriah Heap” under U or H, for instance? What about Alice Cooper, solo career under C but the band under A?

DezB
    Free Member

But they are filing solo artists by their first names!

I think this way is better. However my vinyl is by surname and my CDs are by first. Makes it quite confusing. If only there was a way of searching by keyword.

MoreCashThanDash

After a bit of a shouting match bands starting with “The” are all going under “The”.

DezB
    Free Member

Hope you haven’t got any Verve

chakaping
    Free Member

After a bit of a shouting match bands starting with “The” are all going under “The”.

But this is just wrong!

MoreCashThanDash

Somewhat shocked to have found East 17! 😯

Pretty sure it’s not mine, also pretty sure it doesn’t belong to MrsMC or the kids either. 😕

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

saves confusion with The The

MoreCashThanDash

Currently frying their brains what to do with compilation albums.

Now 38 has just surfaced. And a classical compilation still in it’s cellophane.

DezB
    Free Member

Now 38 has just surfaced

File in the bin

GavinT
    Free Member

I wouldn’t let my children (or anyone else) touch my CD shelves.

Cougar

Currently frying their brains what to do with compilation albums.

I drag those out separately and stick them at the end (after briefly considering filing them under “C”…)

johndoh
    Free Member

Uriah Heap

But Uriah Heap isn’t the artist, he invented the seed drill in the 1800s didn’t he? So the band name is just that – a band name so file under U.

No idea what to do with Alice Cooper though – but I did spend my childhood thinking he was a she.

SiB
    Free Member

Was expecting more along the lines of size 9 and 10 heels on the bottom shelf, dress size 18 and 20 on top. Disappointed.

joshvegas
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    Uriah Heap

But Uriah Heap isn’t the artist, he invented the seed drill in the 1800s didn’t he? So the band name is just that – a band name so file under U.
    No idea what to do with Alice Cooper though – but I did spend my childhood thinking he was a she.

Your a bit muxed up.

Jethro Tull invented the seed drill and the lead singer is Ian Anderson

Uriah heap is in great expectations ian’t he?

johndoh
    Free Member

Christ yes I am aren’t I.

Oops – I shall get my coat 🙁

Cougar

Was expecting more along the lines of size 9 and 10 heels on the bottom shelf, dress size 18 and 20 on top. Disappointed.

No, that’s the TV shelf.

kcal

Tried to find the Absolutely sketch for Calum Gilhooley but it’s all copy protected.. 🙁

onlysteel
    Free Member

Jethro Tull lived in Crowmarsh, by Wallingford.
    I go alphabetical by group, disregarding The, and surname. Compilations extreme right, after Z.

slowoldman

It’d been so long since my CDs were in a sensible order I can’t remember how I catalogue them.

CountZero

But this is just wrong!

It gets worse when some bands have the definit article added through common usage, when it was never part of their actual name, like Arcade Fire and Pixies.
    I used to sort my CD’s in alphabetical order, including solo artists, who would be by surname, but lack of shelf space, and ongoing acquisitions mean that there are disorderly piles of CD’s stacked wherever I can find somewhere to put them.
    Fortunately the fact that the great majority have been ripped means they’re easy to find using Remote on the phone or pad.
    There’s a reason the discs haven’t been relegated to boxes in the loft; every so often an artist who’s albums I’ve been buying for years does a tour that’s at small venues, and a signing opportunity presents itself, cue an archaeological dig to find the old discs! 😀

corroded
    Free Member

So, nobody does it by genre and then leaves it to, er, natural selection? To be honest, the genre thing is a bit hazy at best.

RustySpanner

Look, I can see where you’re all going wrong.

Numbers first.
    Then by artist/surname/composer (individual titles ordered by release date).
    Ignore ‘The’.
    Compilations alphabetically by title under V, for various.
    🙂

Northwind

MoreCashThanDash – Member

Just as well, if you try disregarding the The then The The will send you into a recursive The loop. And you’re never going to find your Therapy? albums.

MoreCashThanDash

Thought this might get the OCD amongst us frothing. 😆

Northwind

Also you have to file Thee Headcoats under E.

senorj

Cd sorting shall forever be known as rusty spanner’s law…..:-)

richmars

Totally random, so I find something unexpected while looking for something else.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can beat you all.

Mine are

*unsorted*

MoreCashThanDash

I suspect, given that MrsMC has had 22 years access to the CD collection, that mine are still more random than I realise. The kids found a few where the disc inside didn’t match the box 🙄

jamj1974

GavinT – Member
    I wouldn’t let my children (or anyone else) touch my CD shelves.

Eminently sensible and the same as my rules! 😀

I drag those out separately and stick them at the end

There is no other way!

jamj1974

The kids found a few where the disc inside didn’t match the box

A hanging offence.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Er, what’s a CD?

Cougar

nobody does it by genre

that way lies madness.

Mine are

*unsorted*

The reason I sorted mine in the first place was so that if one was missing I’d a) know it was missing, b) have a reasonable punt at what was missing and c) by extension potentially remember who I’d lent it to.

zippykona

Have you got to p j Harvey yet?

DezB
    Free Member

nobody does it by genre

My digital stuff is! Just because there are so many bands, if it was just one big directory by artist it’d be unmanageable. And once I started by genre (artist alphabetically within, of course), there’s no changing it.

Kahurangi

No, that’s the TV shelf.

<insert gif of Charles Kane applauding>

Torminalis
    Free Member

Alphabetically by Artist, Then Chronologically by Album.

I would be interested to hear your solutions to the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young problem.

Cougar

<insert gif of Charles Kane applauding>

I did wonder whether anyone would get that. (-:

RustySpanner

I would be interested to hear your solutions to the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young problem.

Under ‘C’.

How about West Side Story?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘My kids are sorting out the CD shelf.’ is closed to new replies.