Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • My kid came home from the child minder with severe facial sunburn – not happy
  • piemann
    Free Member

Wifey picked up pie jnr from the child minder yesterday evening, after they had been out on a day trip to the beach. His face was incredibly burned despite the child minder swearing that she put factor 50 on him regularly. As of this morning, the skin on his cheeks has actually blistered – I’ve never seen that happen before. He’s been in the sun plenty, including a holiday in Gran Canaria and has never, ever, reacted to it in such a way before. (We always plaster him in factor 50).

Has this happened to anyone else’s kids and did they recover from it without too much trauma?

Needless to say, we’re looking for new child care arrangements as either she has not been honest about what has happened or, if she did regularly apply the cream, she didn’t see that he was getting cooked anyway, or she did see and chose to do nothing about it.

Murray

Not had this happen to one of my kids. I’ve done it to myself and I wouldn’t wish it on a little ‘un. Personally, I’d be ask to see the practice nurse at the GP just in case.

wwaswas

that’s bad 🙁

depends where you want to take this but probably worth getting some pics now so you have them for the future if needed.

If it were me I’d keep the kid dosed up with calpol – it’s going to be hurting.

were any other kids there – have they got burned too?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

piemann – Member
    Has this happened to anyone else’s kids and did they recover from it without too much trauma?

Get over yourself. It’s sunburn, not sexual/physical abuse.

piemann
    Free Member

Seriously druidh??

Bite me!

binners

Hope the little fella’s ok mate. He is of Scottish origin though. And as such, should never ever be exposed to direct sunlight 😉

Big floppy sunhats are the way forward. Though its a nightmare trying to get them to keep the buggers on

nosemineb
    Free Member

Druidh even with the edit there is no need.

druidh
    Free Member

Yeah – seriously. I’ve had sunburn that bad and it was forgotten about with a few days.

squiff
    Free Member

Pack them a hat next time works better than sun cream.

binners

Thanks for your contribution Druid. Invaluable 🙄

wwaswas

it was forgotten about with a few days

by you, maybe, but as a parent pieman has put his trust in the childminder and feels that his trust has been abused.

to trivialise it as ‘just one of those things’ seems to ignore the impact it’ll have on people other than the kid who’ll now need to be found other child care etc.

and without wishing to be alarmist – any case of bad sunburn is not good in the long term.

bullheart
    Free Member

Get over yourself. It’s sunburn, not sexual/physical abuse.

Technically, it’s neglect. Intentionally or otherwise. Although in druidh’s defence, children are both fairly resilient and able to bounce back from such injuries.

I’m sure that’s what he meant, but happy to be corrected 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Next time it could be – er, hang on… 😳

piemann
    Free Member

He is only 14 months old and does have fair skin, so I am taking a bit more seriously than if it had happened to myself.

The blistering has gotten worse over the last 3 hours.

wwaswas – that’s exactly it. We feel that we have been badly let down here.

druidh
    Free Member

Thank you bullheart for putting everything into perspective. I do wonder what sort of cotton wool-wrapped world some of the STW contributors live in.

binners

bullheart
    Free Member

I would probably pop to the quacks though, quick smart. Poor little mite 😕

gwj72
    Free Member

If its that bad you should be reporting the child minders to some authority. If you give a monkeys about other people’s kids.

Druid’s harsh but fair. Using the word traumatised completely overstated the possible effect to the child. Especially in the context of what many children to suffer regularly.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Suncream is limited in it’s protection. You can’t sit directly in the sun, top up and expect to be fine. Shade is needed to give the skin a break.

The toughy is whether the childminder is just incompetent (likely) and doesn’t know how to look after a baby in the sun, or they are trying to deceive because they didn’t do their job knowingly.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Being wrapped in cotton wool or otherwise, I’d be **** livid if my 15 month old daughter came back from a child minder with sun burn so bad it blistered, so I can appreciate the OPs angst and I would make sure the minder was reported to the necessary authorities.

hels
    Free Member

Poor kid – if it is blistering that is 3rd degree burns btw. Happened to me a lot as a child (in NZ) and who really knows what damage was done ?

Can you still get calomine lotion ? Something to stop infection too, treat it as you would a burn or scald.

Sunburn can be extremely harmful just look at the melanoma rates in the Antipodes.

Hat and Sunblock all the way…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’d be mightily pissed off if any of my kids came back from childcare sun burnt and would let them know about it. But Druidh is correct, sunburn is hardly a trauma in the grand scheme of things. It’s the resultant skin cnacer a few years down the line that will provide that trauma

McHamish
    Free Member

I’m not a medical expert but I would take him to your GP, you may be able to get some appropriate cream otherwise unavailable over the counter.

I got similar blistering on my shoulder 2 years ago and it’s never been the right colour since, especially if it gets in the sun.

theotherjonv

Sounds nasty; if F-50 cream has been applied regularly and properly there’s no way a child should have blistered, even in strong sunlight and with the additional reflection factor off water and sand. I wouldn’t be worried about traumas to a 2 year old, they’re far more likely to become ‘traumatised’ if you make a big deal of it than based on the immediate harm / pain caused by sunburn. But even a few over exposures creates a significant risk in later life to skin cancers, etc., so don’t underestimate the impact it might be having (I’m not saying to panic here, I’m saying that while a dose of sunburn isn’t likely to make him a recluse, you can’t be blase about it)

That said I don’t send my kids off to school in summer without a good dousing in a decent (name brand) sunscreen. That way at least I know they have some protection, rather than leave it in anyone else’s hands. And also remember – the sun is as direct / intense in April as it is in August – the air temp might be lower but the sunburn risk is the same, so start early! (I ignore this advise myself and regularly broil myself lobster pink on April rides!!)

scaredypants

Agree, minder clearly did a poor job – whether you report her depends on what you think you need to achieve: Is she generally conscientious and caring and just had a bad day, for which she’s obviously sorry and going to learn from ?

Did you put any cream on before the child went out the house ?

piemann
    Free Member

gwj72

Wifey is planning to make a formal complaint about it.

I’ll put my hand up and say that “trauma” may have been a bit overly dramatic, (dictionary definition “any bodily injury or wound”) but it’s hard to keep perspective when it’s your child.

GrahamS

That said I don’t send my kids off to school in summer without a good dousing in a decent (name brand) sunscreen.

Of course you then risk that they’ll become Vitamin D deficient and at risk of muscle weakness, defective bone mineralization, rickets, hypertension, cancer, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes and obesity.

Just a thought 🙂

rustler
    Free Member

Yeah, its only sunburn, get over it.
    And its just a little bruise, get over it.
    What…nah its just a sprained wrist, get over it.
    Oh thats just a broken arm, get over it.

Judging this is a fine balance, but…

How did She explain it to you ? Was she apologetic ? Beside herself with worry ? She may well be beside herself for having allowed this to happen, & will learn a valuable lesson. On the other hand she might not give a hoot, in which case you need to judge it.

What else is she neglecting if she cant be arsed to put suncream on. Whcih she plainly hasnt if this poor little one is as badly burned as you say. She’s got a duty of care for christs sake.

It is sunburn isnt it ? Slapped cheek syndrome ? Allergic reaction ? I remember ours getting slapped cheek & it looked like bad sunburn.

I’ve very fair skin (pale blue I recall Billy Conolly describing it once), & my face burnt badly on Saturday, (overcast & windy, 17c on the beach at Weston).

TooTall
    Free Member

I do wonder what sort of cotton wool-wrapped world some of the STW contributors live in.

One in which they expect a relevant duty of care from those entrusted with the care of their children? Perhaps the OP hasn’t had your life experiences and isn’t so tough and might be a wee bit protective of their child. I quite like that in a parent.

coffeeking
    Free Member

While one might indeed end up with their child accidentally singed by the sun despite all intent (stuff rubbed off/washed off in sea etc and time mis-managed), that kind of burn takes time and effort to achieve and a care worker like a child minder should not leave someone in that position.

That said, can’t imagine having a nanny take kids to the beach instead of me so I find that odd too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s probably best that those without children avoid contributing to this thread (from here on…)

Hope the wee fella gets better soon.

epicyclo

I would take it very seriously.

In Queensland which has one of the highest % cases of skin cancer, we are told it is the sunburns that you get as a child that greatly increases your risk of skin cancer.

Whether this is actually the case I don’t know, but I have known enough people who have died from skin cancer to treat the sun with great respect.

As far as the childminder is concerned, it may have been neglect, or simply a failure to understand that a child with very fair skin can get badly burnt in a very short time compared to other children.

totalshell

the clue is in the job title.. child minder. report em even if they can show they did nowt wrong it will still be a wake up call.

Peyote
    Free Member

It’s probably best that those without children avoid contributing to this thread (from here on…)

Why?

BigJohn

You can get stuff like reiman P20 that you apply in the morning and get 24hr protection.
    That’s what I’d do.

slackin101
    Free Member

You can get stuff like reiman P20 that you apply in the morning and get 24hr protection.
    That’s what I’d do.

According to my missus the Reiman P20 stuff doesn’t work that way any more. New formula which needs regular reapplication I think, or maybe it’s just after you have been in the water? Not sure but she had us hunting around for the old formula stuff a few years back and still has some stashed away.

MartinGT
    Free Member

I wouldnt say Trauma was the wrong word. By the sounds if it, if its blistering its pretty bad damage to the chap. I got burnt at the National Champs at the weekend and it wasnt that bad and it bloody hurt, but I am an adult.

I would look at another childminder tbh, maybe take pics for “evidence”. Sounds like the minder wasnt doing their job. If they were applying 50 and still saw burning a hat or putting the child in shade would have been more appropriate.

Druid man, you need to be a little more considerate to others dude.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My GOD.

IT HAS HAPPENED.

THIS TIME IT REALLY WAS A CHILD’S FACE!

piemann
    Free Member

Wifey just sent me a piccy.

slackin101
    Free Member

Ouch!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘My kid came home from the child minder with severe facial sunburn – not happy’ is closed to new replies.