Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • My iWorld – experiences?
  • Kryton57

I think I want to setup my own virtual world, primarily based on icloud. It would involve my iphone and a Mac Laptop (with work mail and dropbox synced to those and my work LT).

I just wondered, has anyone else done this, continued with it and found it useful, or dropped the idea later? I’d be interested in hearing your experiences – but not an ios v android vs microsoft debate please – just the general concept….

The idea is that, wherever I am in the world I have access to my content should I want it.

Drac

Want are you wanting to share in this ‘world’?

Kryton57

Only my own stuff Drac. I’ll be travelling a bit more for work soon so:

Email (personal & work), documents I’m working on at the moment / may need (word, excel powerpoint), diaries (work & personal) other stuff such as pics etc is more optional.

The idea is that if I’m sitting at home / in a hotel / on a train I can access all I need from one device, rather than open this Laptop for work and THAT Laptop for personal stuff.

chvck
    Free Member

Other than personal documentation I want to keep securish and tv episodes, I don’t think that I have anything locally that isn’t also online with some service or other (not icloud though).

Drac

Emails is easy just set your accounts up as imap accounts they will sink with any devices authorised to collect your email as it’s server side.

Files can be setup to sink too and diaries icloud calendar works fine for that.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Despite being a user of Apple stuff, I rely on Google for syncing mail, contacts and calendars to the extent that it matters not a jot what device I use, I can access all of this stuff. I don’t generally need to have documents in the cloud but between iCloud and Livedrive I can get it if I want.

vinnyeh

Is this your personal content, or work and personal?
    IME most organisations aren’t too happy about you taking stuff out of their network, with good reason.

Kryton57

*looks about*

Not much committment to “the Cloud” then?

alfabus
    Free Member

google +1

i use mail, contacts, calendar, docs and file storage… all live in google land and all available from everywhere and any device.

(except annoyingly at work, where google drive is blocked)

Dave

Drac

No need to but I find it works flawlessly, pages, numbers, SMS, emails and notes all sync with ease.

GrahamS

Well..

I share files between devices (various PCs, iPad, iPhones) via DropBox and sometimes Google Drive.

Work and personal email I access via IMAP (so always “in sync”) via iPad, iPhone & webmail on PCs.

Calendars shared with the missus via Google Calendar, again accessed on PCs via web or iPad/Phone via Calendar app.

Contacts & bookmarks synced between iDevices via iCloud, but that’s about as much as I use that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘My iWorld – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.