Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • My inlaws’ next door neighbours…
  • Harry_the_Spider

Stunts they have pulled recently.

Pulled down the adjoining hedge then asked for half the money for a replacement fence.

Claimed that the boundary line is wrong and that a tree 3ft into my MiL’s garden is infact theirs and that they intend to have it cut down to accommodate their new shed.

Repointed the shared chimney shack (that didn’t need it) and asked for half.

And today… suggested that the inlaws’ are partly liable for the cost of a chimney liner because next door’s new wood burner doesn’t draw properly.

My inlaws are in their 70s and don’t deserve this. So far they haven’t budged, but if they come back from holiday and find a fence 3ft into their garden and the tree gone I wouldn’t be surprised.

renton
    Free Member

Why don’t you get round there at tell their neighbours to stop taking the piss and picking on older folk!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Tell them thegreatape off Singletrackworld wants them to pay for his new car. If that’s how their logic works then I might as well treat myself.

Harry_the_Spider

It is getting that way. MiL doesn’t want a confrontation. If it carries on I’ll set the missus on them.

ski
    Free Member

Picking on Elderly is sick!

Is it worth stepping in and saying any further discussions need to be directed your way and not to bother your in laws in future.

Drac

Does their Neighbor’s wife drive an LPG car?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t you go round and just let them know that your wife and you will be looking after the house for your parents from now on, and that any enquiries regarding buildings/party walls/boundaries etc have to go through you two? Do it all friendly like…”any ongoing issues I can tell you to **** off about help with at the moment?” 🙂

jock-muttley

Mine the fenceline…

stick up signs “Achtung Minen”

when they inevitably complain about feet & genetalia being removed with extreme explosive prejudice simply say..

“Sorry thought you understood german by the way you appear to be trying to Annex the garden”

mefty
    Free Member

Have a look at the Party Wall rules, if they have breached those you can cause them all sorts of bother.

Harry_the_Spider

They had their new fence put in today. It is 8ft tall. 🙄

The fencing guy said that my in laws wouldn’t like it but they told him to do it anyway.

Time to get building control involved.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I think 2m is the normal maximum fence height allowed. If it’s taller than this then you may have grounds for them to remove it at their expense

nickjb
    Free Member

Its a planning issue, not building control. Speak to the duty planning officer at the council

Harry_the_Spider

Planning eh? Thanks for that I’ll tell the MiL.

She doesn’t need this crap. She wants to report it and let the council get on with it.

Markie
    Free Member

I know from a recent village dispute that SODC are pretty hot on this, hopefully their council are too.

seadog101

Look here:

Planning portal

Might help…

jekkyl

8ft tall? ffs. what possible justification is there for a fence of that height?

Harry_the_Spider

Garden on the other side is having a slope levelled. The bottom 2ft of the fence is now doubling as a retaining wall for the neighbours. From the MiLs side it like standing next to the Hoover Dam

john_drummer
    Free Member

TBH if my neighbours were being as nasty as that I’d be grateful for the extra height, unless of course it had a negative shade impact

white101

2mtr max for fences where I live, think council can advise on boundarys as well, certainly land registry can.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

A fence certainly isn’t suitable as a retaining wall. Sounds like your MiLs will have half their neighbours’ garden in theirs before long!

piemonster

Good lord, and I think my neighbours are dicks.

Nowt compared to your MiLs. Like John said, doubt id mind them being blocked from view.

I’ve just built three big planters to shield us from the Grumps next door. Northern edge of there garden and only blocks views to my house.

Harry_the_Spider

The boundary is as it should be. I suppose that is something.

Stoner
    Free Member

1) fire up the chainsaw
    2) hold chainsaw at head height
    3) walk length of fence
    4) return top piece of fence to neighbours. It’s theirs.

Harry_the_Spider

There are concrete posts too…

curvature
    Free Member

As above I think that 6ft is the max height before planning comes into it.

Also be mindful that any attempt to raise the levels the other side with cause surface water run off issues into you families property/garden.

My parents friends in Essex are currently having all sorts of issues with a similar sort of neighbour.

McHamish
    Free Member

Here you go…from planning portal;

You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:

– it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or
    – your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or
    your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.
    – the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.

I know someone who works in planning for the local council, i can ask them if you like.

joeyj
    Free Member

Definitely a planning issue having worked as a ‘planner’ for the last 13 years. Contact the local authorities planning enforcement officer and complain to them. They should visit the offending party and advise them of the options they have. The local authority may serve them with an enforcement notice, which they can appeal against, they can also apply for planning permission for the fence which can take up to 8 weeks and if refused they can then appeal that decision which can take up to another 6 months. Or they can reduce the height of the fence to 2 metres which is permitted development unless the property lies within a conservation area or is listed. It can be a long drawn out situation but you will have an opportunity to comment on things but only on planning matters. If you need any help more than willing to give you some further advice email in profile and good luck

trail_rat
    Free Member

let them make up the land – take a hammer to the bottom once its under tension

let their built up ground colapse

invoice them for clean up.

natural selection at its best. morons.

badnewz
    Free Member

Had a similar thing. This is a planning issue – contact the local department and make noises to them that you are doing so.

ton

never had a problem with any of my neighbours….. 😉

HTS, you want me to come and pretend to be your MIL’S son…. 😆

The-Beard

If it runs close to any windows on your inlaws property it may also become a right of light issue.

tymbian
    Free Member

Max allowable fence height also has to be measured from the lower side…!

Your MiLs neighbor is being a bully. Really makes my blood boil. Stay calm though as the law is on your side here.

Was the hedge a shared hedge? Ask for it to be replanted.

Esme
    Free Member

This won’t be straightforward 🙁 Differing ground levels can cause all sorts of problems with planning, to say nothing about the structural issues.

Planning is all about judgement, and very little is “black and white”. Enforcement may decide to take no action at all, or they may ask for a retrospective planning application, which may be allowed. Or even if it’s refused at the town hall, it may be allowed on appeal to the Planning Inspectorate.

Harry_the_Spider

never had a problem with any of my neighbours…..

HTS, you want me to come and pretend to be your MIL’S son….

Thanks. But as the MiL and FiL are both Hobbits I don’t think that you would get away with it.

ton

😆

uselesshippy
    Free Member

They’ll leave their shoes outside eventually. 😀

phil.w
    Free Member

Differing ground levels can cause all sorts of problems with planning, to say nothing about the structural issues

From my understanding there not differing yet though. So no issue.

mugsys_m8

As the boundary is now becoming a retaining wall, and ‘you’ are affected I would be asking for a set of checked calculations undertaken by a competent person and design drawings for the retaining structure.

Your average joe bloggs landscaper or even builder will not have done this.

martinhutch

If the bottom couple of feet of the fence is going to be buried in earth on their side, won’t it just rot away in a couple of years anyhow?

Eight foot is just taking the p***, though frankly, it might turn out to be a small mercy for your folks if the neighbours are as unpleasant as it seems. I imagine a long season of loud barbecues, trampolining and music is approaching.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why do people have to behave like this?
    I’ll bend over backwards to keep my neighbours happy (well within reason).
    Neighbour disputes can get out of hand so quickly!
    We had one at an old house, our gas main was routed along our neighbours drive years before (for access, agreed at the time). New neighbour decides he wants a new drive, fine no problem. Reminded them where the gas main was. Come home one day to find the neighbour digging with a fork where the gas main was and then proceeded to stab the ground in the vicinity of the main, again after being reminded to be careful. Hsssssssssss! 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘My inlaws’ next door neighbours…’ is closed to new replies.