Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • My hip *clicks*. Any docs / physio / knowledgeable people in?
  • nbt

I’ve recently been suffering from painful kneecaps – pain behind the patella when walking up stairs, jumping (I play volleyball) and sometimes when cycing.

I went to see the doc and he suggested some leg exercises to strengthen the vastus medialis, which will help keep the kneecap stable. The exercise is done seated: raise the leg straight in front, rotate the foot outwards to 45 deg, the raise the leg, noting that the VM is working. THere asre other exercises like squats and lunges of course, but this is the one that has raised a niggle.

All seems well and good (aside from the fact that I have tight hamstrings / calves so need to stretch them in order to properly do my leg raise exercises), except that when I lower my left leg I can *feel a click. More, Mrs NBT can *hear* it. This doesn’t bode well, I fear, Dad’s had both hips replaced already. Do I need to get it check by the docs?

binners

Only one thing for it I’m afraid, old chap…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sure you haven’t set your pedometer to “hear clicks” 😆

Northwind

I click like a meeting of the Jets, doesn’t seem to be a problem… So I guess I’d say, get it checked out if it’s a new thing and a concern, don’t ignore it but don’t freak out either… people make noise.

scud
    Free Member

In trying to be helpful and not being a physio/Dr/internet shaman, sounds like ITB problems? Very common in cyclists, worth speaking to a good sports clinic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/stretching-and-strengthening-exercises-iliotibial-band-syndrome

http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/iliotibial-band-stretches.html

woody2000

Unless you’ve got pain associated with the click, I’d not be overly worried. Pretty much every joint in my body clicks/pops/grinds – I’m pretty sure nothing needs replacing yet. How old are you?

binners

He’s only 14. He’s just had a really bad paper round

nbt

Aw shucks, thanks Binners but my youthful good looks belie the fact that I recently turned 41.

Sadly I even more recently turned 42 🙁

The pain is related only to the patella issues – there’s no pain in my hip, just a clicking noise which concerns me in case it’s something that might get worse and become painful if I don’t sort it.

chipster

You need sound proofing, by the sounds of it.
    The traditional STW way of acquiring this, I believe, is to stop riding your bike and eat pies and chips. It worked for me, anyway. 😳

jonnouk
    Free Member

I’ve always had loudly clicking knees and saw the Dr donkeys back when I was a lad. He told me just doing cycling was my undoing and I had to exercise my legs in other ways so I took up rollerblading, for a while. They still click, they still ache.

I did go through a period of clicky hips which were more painful. It was a more of a “snap” that I could feel throughout. No idea what it was but I no longer get it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@nbt – yes some targeted physio is what you need. Since busting my “good knee” I’ve seen how much physio has moved on from 30 years ago when I bust the “bad knee”. You need to do excersizes with lots of little movements, probably dynamic ones, eg standing/moving on a wobble board / inflatable cushion / mini trampoline.

FYI my hip has clicked from time to time for 30 years, I have hyper-extension (loose joints) and the dynamic exercises help to tighten it all up. Stretching is actually bad for me.

Bunnyhop

mini trampoline.

Ooh that’s good, because we have just acquired one of those.

TiRed

ITB. If you turn your feet out and then move your hips, does the click go away? Mine have always clicked like this and I have tight ITBs.

scaled
    Free Member

You’re getting old, have you considered knitting? Sitting down, obviously.

anagallis_arvensis

“Joints click, if it doesnt hurt dont worry” so said my hip surgeon once.

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouys mothers just had a hip replaced, she’s 84 going 90.

Hope that helps.

BigJohn

I was told by the Orthopaedic Surgeon who mended my leg that clicks were little gas bubbles popping, not hard things rubbing against each other so no need to worry.

BadlyWiredDog

I consulted Dr Google for you, he came up with Snapping Hip Syndrome, which is less bad than it sounds. Other possibles are that are made from brittle toffee which is reaching the end of its useful life and deconstructing itself. Alternatively you may have deathwatch beetle. None of these are anything to worry about.

ps: I am not a doctor or anything like that. But you knew that already, but I don’t want to be sued if you start treating your hip for invasive insect life or owt like that and damage your trousers. Or your wife. Or something.

cbike
    Free Member

I’ve got a clicky hip. Doctors noted it when I was born. I only notice when doing frog kick while swimming and sometimes if I move a certain way.
    No one has shorter muscles, you just need to train the move with stretching.

I think you would know if Arthritis was an issue due to pain and swelling. Chillax. By the time its actually an issue you’ll be deed not long after.

IanW
    Free Member

My untrained web answer is hyper mobility, it’s a degree of play in your joints that comes in handy for doing bendy stuff but can lead to excess wear and is often accompanied by clicking.

How do I know this, I hear you say?

I did a long sponsored walk in Scotland ( Cal Challenge) several years ago it left my knees pretty sore so I went to a Physio. He gave me some exercise to both trigger core muscles into action and strengthen them. Worked a treat and I still use them occasionally.
    A clicking hip was part of the diagnosis for me, it itself causes no detriment though and I am in every other way a man of steel. As above, see a Physio do some exercise and don’t worry.

tomaso
    Free Member

I click in both hips with every step, always have. I also have crunchy hands and wrists and shoulders…

I never thought it was something to worry about, UNTIL NOW ! 😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

My untrained web answer is hyper mobility, it’s a degree of play in your joints that comes in handy for doing bendy stuff but can lead to excess wear and is often accompanied by clicking.

@IanW
    ’s post above. This is what I have (as do 2 or my 3 kids). It is why stretching is easy for me but actually not what I need, I need less mobility in my joints.

@bunnyhop the acl exercises (mine is gone) I have for the tramp are things like;
    fast jog on the spot (count to 5 steps) then stop and stand on one leg and try and be still as quickly as you can – repeat switch legs
    jumping turns (hi turn and rotate) start with 90, then 180. As strength builds you can do this hopping. Switch directions after a bit.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘My hip *clicks*. Any docs / physio / knowledgeable people in?’ is closed to new replies.