Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • My girl wants to ba a boy!
  • supercyril
    Free Member

My 6 1/2 year old daughter is adament she wants to be a boy. She has never showed any interest in girls clothes or toys and only plays with boys at school. When approached on the subject she just repeats that she wants to be a boy and breaks down into tears.
    Mrs super and myself try to reasure her that its ok and girls can do boy/cool stuff too and whenever a positive image is on TV eg Shanaze Reade or Jessica Ennis etc we draw her attention to it.
    Most people i have spoken to say she will grow out of it or ‘i was a tom boy’ but her feeling seem to becoming stronger with age.

Has anyone had any experiance of this or should i start saving for a gender op?

Thanks

allthepies
    Free Member

Dungarees, crop top and sensible shoes ?

loddrik
    Free Member

She’s your baby, support her regardless, shouldn’t make a blind bit of difference what she is, was or wants to be.

float
    Free Member

yeah but you cant support your 6 year old to become a guy already. shes 6!

Woody
    Free Member

Mrs super and myself try to reasure her that its ok and girls can do boy/cool stuff too

Sounds like you are doing the right things and AFAIK this is not uncommon, so no need to jump to conclusions yet.

As for the future, there is at least one person on here who will be able to give you the benefit of their first hand experience and advice.

emsz
    Free Member

Yeah, just wait 10 years…. 😆

supercyril
    Free Member

Its very difficult not being able to call your little girl princess.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Take her to meet some tough women, display pilots or squaddies etc women that exude blokish confidence and keep up with trying to install in her head that just because she’s a girl doesn’t mean she can’t do boy things.

emsz
    Free Member

So don’t 🙄

seriously, my mum treated me like her little princess for 14 years i was a little pink thing. I did ballet and gymnastics I had a pink room and the works. then I worked out that I could do what I wanted…The fallout was pretty rare

project
    Free Member

You should be worried a freinds son said he wanted to be a conservative MP at 7 years of age.

The shame.

mboy
    Free Member

My little sister used to say the same when she was that age.

She’s 29 now, has more shoes than Imelda Marcos, wears different outfits for morning, afternoon and evening, and wouldn’t dare be seen wearing a pair of jeans or without her makeup!

People change… Don’t worry about it! Just be supportive, you’ve got several years left yet before she’s going to start to be physically different from boys her own age.

skiboy
    Free Member

My oldest is the same, she sometimes says she wants to be a boy , I’m pretty sure it’s just a Tom boy thing , she’s 7 this month, my youngest is the complete opposite, pink , fairies, dressing up the lot, she’s going to chew the boys up and spit them out..

The oldest one though, I Took her shopping for shorts a while back, she insisted on boys shorts , I didn’t blame her either the girls ones where crap and for a 7yr old she is big, very powerful build and very beautiful with blond pigtails, she looks right in them , she’s just a bit of a skater chick I think, she also rides a bmx but that’s my fault,

My wife always worries about it when she doesn’t Play with the girls but i knew Plenty of girls like that when I was a lad, don’t think any of them were attracted to their same sex, otherwise they wouldn’t have been hanging with us boys ?

Anyway I love her no matter what as I’m sure the original op does with his little girl,

Pigface
    Free Member

Who cares if she wants to be a boy, a car, or an invisible shopping trolley

Let her be a kid, let her be herself, love her to bits.

Sum
    Free Member

Make use of this excellant opportunity to buy a Scalextrix set, remote control cars, trainset for the attic etc. Ps introduce your daughter to mtbing.

LeeW

Its very difficult not being able to call your little girl princess.

Call her Princess, do you really care if she grows up to be a Queen?

CountZero

Not that I have kids or owt, but I’m with several here, just tell her that when she’s older she can be whatever she wants to be, and nobody can tell her otherwise, it’s her life she has to live, and nobody else’s.

emma82
    Free Member

As above really, I was a tomboy at that age and to be honest I think I may be mboys sister 😳

She’s 7, She may grow out of it, it may be that as she grows up she really does want a sex change but I think there’s plenty of time for her to decide that. Your job as dad is just to support and encourage her to be herself, happy and healthy and it sounds like you are doing that well so chill! She rides a bmx, I wasn’t that cool even if I was a Tom boy :

Ps at that age there is every chance that in a few weeks she won’t want to be a boy when she grows up, she’ll want to be a penguin or a lawyer….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

To the OP – don’t even pressure her with pointing out ‘strong’ female role models – that won’t help.

She will probably grow out of this phase but if she doesn’t – would you love her any less? Just allow her to be whatever she wants and she will respect you for it as she grows up.

bwaarp
    Free Member

No need to pressure her, just show her it’s okay to be a strong female. Helps self-esteem etc.

donsimon
    Free Member

What exactly is the problem?

project
    Free Member

The young girl may just think that boys have more fun than the girls.

Love her for what she is your daughter.

Lifer
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    What exactly is the problem?

Gender stereotypes.

chewkw
    Free Member

Bloody hell … talking about overreaction to a 6 1/2 year old … 🙄 She is just a kid so let her be.

antigee

our youngest girl has a medical condition which means that she was exposed to excess testosterone when in the womb

chromosome wise and physically is a girl and looks like a girl but will only wear boys clothes and only ever plays with “boys” toys – guns, police playmobil, knights, cars, dresses up as a soldier etc

at school she sits with the boys and talks about “them” and “us” meaning the girls and boys with “us” being the boys

plays football – but for a ladies team but prefers to train with the boys and can out arm wrestle most of them

birthday coming up at laserquest only boys invited

hardest thing is getting parents of some of the boys she is friendly with at school to accept that a girl wants their son to come and play and a majority won’t invite her back in return as don’t seem to be able to cope with idea but those that can are fine but it is a bit frustrating

not sure if this helps – from my point of view i find it reeassuring that when asked she will say she is a girl, uses the girls toilet and i’ve her heard talk about what might happen when she has a family my feelings are just have to let it run and let her develop her personality and if issues become more “i want to change” when get to puberty then get professional help rather than ignore it

to compare our older daughter has always played with dolls, had a pink room but still enjoys stuff like scouts and we’ve never really pushed gender specific stuff on either

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘My girl wants to ba a boy!’ is closed to new replies.