Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • My Garmins keep dying.
  • daleftw
    Free Member

Pig sick of them.

Current issue is that my 810 seems to have developed a habit of crashing once it goes over 200km and deleting the ride.

Not a battery issue, it had 20-odd per cent left the other day and everything up to date.

Anyone else having this problem..?

Only thing I can think is that it doesn’t like following a 200km+ route/course?

Gary_M
    Free Member

My 510 is delicate to say the least. I did a 5 hour ride in the rain and it two weeks to recover from that – constantly cutting out mid ride, not turning on, screen freezing. Surely a unit that’s made for using outdoors should be completely waterproof.

And then there’s garmin connect, which goes through phases of point blank refusing to upload rides for a few days at a time, then just starts working again.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Yes! My 810 does the same – i lost 7 hours worth of data a few weeks ago during the Lakes 100.

I took to social media to complain who suggested i talk to Garmin support they said: “it was probably memory related and suggest you save your ride regularly” Great. I’ll just stop and keep saving it then. Cheers.

My 510 seems fine though. Although i’ve never done that kind of distance using it.

otsdr
    Free Member

Are the units set to “1 second” collection as opposed to “smart”? (Down Arrow > System > Data Recording > Recording Interval)

It is conceivable that the 1 second interval will fill up the memory faster than the smart. Do note that this doesn’t mean the unit will sample data at a lower rate, it will still sample every second, but will drop points that are along the same line (i.e. a twisty section will retain much of the fidelity).

trail_rat
    Free Member

its a commonly reported issue with the 810 and iirc the 1000.

my 500s been stotting i did have to replace the screen and case when I dropped it onto stone edge.

my etrex has never been good at tracking and remaining on to the point i dont trust it – i just use it for navigation.

my forerunner 205 must be 10 years old and still going strong – slightly slower to get a fix than the others mind.

njee20
    Free Member

Not yet had any of those issues with my 1000, managed a 300 mile ride, following a route, with no issues. Done quite a few 100 mile rides with it, but not too many >200k admittedly.

It’s got more memory than other units, so it ought to be more resilient. Well documented with the 800/810 though.

breninbeener

Can you cut down the recording interval? The 500 lets you use every second recording or some form of smart recording….

daleftw
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    its a commonly reported issue with the 810 and iirc the 1000.

my 500s been stotting i did have to replace the screen and case when I dropped it onto stone edge.

Oh, I only have this because Garmin got sick of replacing 500s (5 I think) and gave me this as an ‘upgrade’.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘My Garmins keep dying.’ is closed to new replies.