Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • My FTHR is apparently 214, and I'm 37.
  • feenster
    Free Member

I did a thershhold heart rate test today as described in the british cycling members area. Road bike, flat route. Warmed up, then rode hard as possible for 30 mins, recording average heart rate for last 20 mins. It was hard. I wanted to stop. I covered just under 10 miles in the 30 mins. My average HR in the time was 214 according to my heart rate monitor, which I was very surpised at, as I’m 37, so my max hr by 220 – age = 183. When I put this into the BC calculator to get my training zones it looks like
    recovery = <145,
    endurance = 145 – 177,
    tempo = 177 – 201,
    threshold 201- 225,
    vo2 max = 224 – 258

Is this result valid. Is my FTHR really 214?

njee20
    Free Member

I seriously doubt it. There’s a chance your max is that high, still very high, but average… I’d be suspecting interference.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Its possible but seems unlikely. Whilst 220-age is normally wrong (I’m 50 and my max is actually 195) to hold 214 average for 30 mins does not seem probable. Max Hr up to say 210 not unusual but 30 mins at 214????

ampthill

How can you heart go in a shorter burst then?

But worried to ask as i don’t want you to over rev your heart. Sounds way high….

kcr
    Free Member

Simply depends on the accuracy of your HRM. Everyone’s thresholds are individual, so you cannot benchmark yourself against anyone else, or against some average value. The max HR formula is a crude approximation, and cannot tell you what your real MHR is.
    Try repeating the test to see if you get the same result.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you keep this up can I inherit your bikes?

feenster
    Free Member

I was waiting for somthing like that from you menmuir….. 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Maybe all that Rheindeer Wee has thickened your blood.

feenster
    Free Member

How can you heart go in a shorter burst then?

I’ve seen it over 200 before, but only just and only for very short periods, and I’ve always backed off when it did, because I’ve been working to zones from the 220-age formula.

I’ve had crap sleeps this week, and also might have a cold in the making – probably will have now anyway after that effort – so maybe that had something to do with it.

I’ll try the test again in a week or so.

Any other suggestions for getting more accurate zones other than 220 – age or this test if it gives the same result?

feenster
    Free Member

Maybe all that Rheindeer Wee has thickened your blood.

No that’ll be the EPO.

I think it would have to be something thinnning my blood anyway.

njee20
    Free Member

If you see 200 on occasion then averaging 214 for any length of time is nowt to do with sleep or illness, it’s interference.

mboy
    Free Member

What njee said

Unless you’re a Mouse!

Brief peaks over 200 are perfectly normal for a reasonably fit and healthy person, but to sustain that for even a few minutes, let alone half an hour! 😕

Not likely I’m afraid…

composite
    Free Member

When ever I ride on a certain stretch of tow path that goes close to some train line my heart rate monitor goes crazy. I think it’s interference from the over head electricity lines.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘My FTHR is apparently 214, and I'm 37.’ is closed to new replies.