Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • My Fresh Goods Friday. Bikepacking Interest.
  • richpips
    Free Member

My new dynamo lightset arrived today.

Main light 1000L which runs off a Shutter Precision 6v/3w dynamo hub.

Head light (600L) that is throttled to 200L which runs off a battery pack.

Battery pack is charged through the day, and will either run the previously mentioned headlamp, or charge a USB device.

When I’ve worked out how it all goes together and taken it for a spin, I’ll do a proper review.

All the above is custom made by Kerry at Klite.com.au

🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

How much did that lot set you back?
    I’m running an Exposure Revo and Kemo USB charger of a shutter hub (well, 2 hubs since I’ve got the 15mm version on the mtb now) and love it.

richpips
    Free Member

A bit less than £400 with the hub.

If you went for the dynamo and hub alone, it’d be about the same price as the Revo, if not a smidge cheaper.

I demoed a Revo, I thought lot of the light was wasted.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richpips
    Free Member

Just been for a quickie.

The front light is loads better imo than the Revo.

I’ve found the headlight actually has 3 modes as well as off.

More when I’ve tested its other stuff.

AlexSimon

I hope dynamo lights make a real comeback.
    How much resistance does the hub add?
    When you spin the wheel freely what does it feel like?

Clobber
    Free Member

Can you disconnect the drag or is it always on?

STATO
    Free Member

Drag on the SP and modern shimano dynamo is not noticable at all, there are plenty of people saying it, have a google. B&M have just released their Premium models which are amazing for the money (£50 from bike discount) perfect for road and commuting duty, unlike offroad lights which just blind drivers. Quite fancy one of these ones for offroad, tho £400 is a lot of money considering what you can get these days.

avdave2

That looks good, I can’t really see from the website but does the usb/battery charger go in line between the hub and light or does it have to connect to the out from the light?. I already have a SON hub and Supernova light and would just like to add usb charging for now. I’ve looked at the Kemo that ir_bandito is using but that looks pretty good too.

richpips
    Free Member

Iirc the drag on your legs is ~6 watts. You don’t notice it even when spinning the wheel. Though obviously there is friction, the power has to come from somewhere.

The hub is always on, but I bought the system specifically so it’d always be doing something. Illuminating a light, charging batteries or charging/running USB devices. There are hubs that can be switched off that would work with this system, though I believe even when off thay have some extra drag.

£400 is indeed a lot of dosh, but in theory I can go away and need no external power sources for any of my kit. I didn’t come across another system that would do all of the above.

cp

Good use of 3D printing for the light bracket and battery case!

richpips
    Free Member

I can’t really see from the website but does the usb/battery charger go in line between the hub and light or does it have to connect to the out from the light?

From the dynamo there is a (switched) splitter, 1 branch goes to the main light, the second goes to the seperate USB box, which again splits (switched again) to USB out or battery charging.

STATO
    Free Member

From the dynamo there is a (switched) splitter, 1 branch goes to the main light, the second goes to the seperate USB box, which again splits (switched again) to USB out or battery charging.

It all seems unnecessarily complicated? 3 separate things (but wired together) that you have to individually fasten to the bike? I can understand the battery being separate but why the main switch and USB, infact why not have it all in the light housing itself like the Exposure Revo, tho ive just seen his FB review of the Revo and he was not exactly kind!

richpips
    Free Member

I like the fact it is modular.

Dependant on what sort of ride you are doing, you can take the bits with, that you need.

Pic below shows how it all fits together. The bits in my hand will go in a bar, or frame bag.

The light (not shown) is a midget compared to the revo.

STATO
    Free Member

Flippin heck, that bit on the fork is huge! No wonder he hides it in the grass on his website!!

After reading a bit more of his posts on FB he sounds like a bit of a nob to be honest.

Quote ‘..maybe they could only be lighter and smaller than my dynamo light by cheating….hey, I am all for a fair game…but sorry revo, take a step BACK..’ Hmm, didnt exposure only do a dynamo after Rob Dean showed them his? Shame the Revo dosnt have a heatsink but from the reviews ive read it dosnt even get hot. Certainly looks nicer than the klite.

cp

crikey, the fork mounted bit is a bit, er, in the firing line!

avdave2

Thanks for the clarification richpips. So I assume I could just use the first splitter box and charge a usb device from that and not use the second box if I had no requirement for a battery charger.

why not have it all in the light housing itself like the Exposure Revo,

As I understand it the out from the Revo is only to power the rear light and is not regulated to provide power for a usb device. This may have changed since I last looked but for me the perfect dynamo light would have a usb charger and switching built in.

richpips
    Free Member

After reading a bit more of his posts on FB he sounds like a bit of a nob to be honest.

Well all I can say that he has been very helpful in making what I want.

As for who did what first I don’t remember exactly, but if you have a scan on the internets I seem to recall Kerry sent Rob one of his units to help Rob finalise his dynamo set up, and that was long before the Revo.

richpips
    Free Member

crikey, the fork mounted bit is a bit, er, in the firing line!

Of what? It is proud by a couple of mm each side.

>Edit – You could ask him for that box to be mounted under the stem instead.

Apparently this light has a much longer standlight which requires a bigger capacitor than the one in the Revo.

So I assume I could just use the first splitter box and charge a usb device from that and not use the second box if I had no requirement for a battery charger.

The USB box is one of those in my hand. You wouldn’t need the battery pack.

As I understand it the out from the Revo is only to power the rear light and is not regulated to provide power for a usb device.

Yep, and I got Si to ask them if one with inbuilt USB was coming soon, and they said no. The Revo has a 6v output that’ll run a rear light.

STATO
    Free Member

As for who did what first I don’t remember exactly, but if you have a scan on the internets I seem to recall Kerry sent Rob one of his units to help Rob finalise his dynamo set up, and that was long before the Revo.

Your probably right, my limited experience is of a few threads on here.

How much does all that weigh together then?

richpips
    Free Member

How much does all that weigh together then?

Shipped weight with 6AA batteries was 591gms.

JRTG
    Free Member

You can also run a the plug 2 with a dynamo so can run a Revo (or any other dynamo light) and have a USB charger too. Very neat, hides in the steerer. Although I don’t think you can charge and run the light. But then that’s what days are for.

richpips
    Free Member

I looked at the Plug 2/3. They look good but I couldn’t work out how water wouldn’t get into the USB socket. Oh, and £160. 😉

jmatlock
    Free Member

This looks fascinating. I would love to know more about it. Any videos kicking about.

shermer75
    Free Member

Good stuff richpips, really useful info there!

Cheezpleez

How is it all waterproofed? The switch and USB look a bit vulnerable in the pic

richpips
    Free Member

This looks fascinating. I would love to know more about it. Any videos kicking about.

I’ll do a more detailed review when I’ve used it all for a bit. No vids that I know of.

How is it all waterproofed? The switch and USB look a bit vulnerable in the pic

None of the stuff in my hand is waterproofed, they are supposed to live in a bag on the bike. I did mention that a waterproof battery holder would be good, and he did say that making one was possible. Though for me the holder would still have to be openable so I could change the batteries.

The box that fits to the fork leg is waterproof though. It also has a blanking plug for if you’re not using the power out option.

composite
    Free Member

So the box on the fork is the guts for the light? You say the stand light is longer, what are the comparisons?

richpips
    Free Member

So the box on the fork is the guts for the light? You say the stand light is longer, what are the comparisons?

Yes, the light is tiny.

I don’t know the numbers except to say that I have been assured that the capacitor in this light is much larger than in the revo.

numplumz
    Free Member

Good to see one of those in the flesh so to speak.
    So what is actually in the fork leg mounted box, apart from a cable split junction, and a switch?
    Is that where the capacitor for the standlight lives.

As stated above it’s interesting their are no clear “assembled” pictures on the website.

I’m using Revo with a Kemo USB output unit tucked unobtrosively under the stem Teed into a Revo and the USB lead feeds into a Toptube mounted bag with a small 4000mAhr USB battery pack and room for food. Eventually I intend to combine the Kemo and the battery in a small waterproof box and have the lot tucked neatly under the stem.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘My Fresh Goods Friday. Bikepacking Interest.’ is closed to new replies.