Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • My first venture into road, and singlespeed!
  • montag
    Free Member

Arrived this morning, took this while out for a lunchtime spin.

44 18 ratio, blimey that’s tough on the legs (or maybe I’m a weakling…)

Good bits:

I love the silence. I love the lack of choice. I love that I just have to stand up and get on with it. I love the way it looks

Bad bits:

I do feel a bit uncomfortable, and it’s pretty heavy…..

soma_rich
    Free Member

Ohh that looks pretty whats it called.

Kuco

Nice but the brown saddle and bar tape imo looks out of place.

ski
    Free Member

Your legs will soon get used to 48:18 after a week or so, then you will find yourself spinning along with the biggist grin, looking for hills to attack.

I quite like the brown – blue combo, but I am colour blind 😉

Another- what is it?

montag
    Free Member

It’s a Viking Racemaster. I really wanted a macinato (I have an inbred and love it), but a) couldn’t stretch to the price and b) this has a flip/flop hub, so I can give fixed a try.

soma_rich
    Free Member

£190 is a bargain for that!

simon1975

That gear will feel easier when you run it fixed 🙂

montag
    Free Member

Will run it fixed this weekend….any tips?

cp

just keep pedalling

kilo

montag – Member
    Will run it fixed this weekend….any tips?

It’s easier clipped in

Do not have any loose items of clothing – trousers, laces, etc near the chain

Don’t put your fingers anywhere near a moving chain 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

do those Vikings take guards and or racks? Thinking of a cheap commuter

montag
    Free Member

I’ll have a look for rack/guard mounts – I suspect so. Also wait for 2 weeks to see if mine is still intact before you buy one 😀

I plan to run with toeclips rather than SPD’s, but I’m already getting irritated by this, so it might not last….

TiRed

If you are new to fixed, start with spds. If you are good at clipping in, ride road pedals instead (if you fail to clip in first time, you can’t coast!). Ride with front and rear brake. Slow with the brakes rather than the pedals.

44:18 isn’t a bad gear for the flat. Not particularly high, either
    48:18 or 69″ is a standard and geared for 18mph

I’m running 48:16 and it ranges from OK to @#&$! depending on luggage and tiredness. I’m thinking 44:16 is a better compromise for speed and strength.

I’ve never ridden singlespeed on the road (only fixed or gears). Fixed just feels so much smoother. It is fluid, no coasting makes for a lovely bike-connectedness feel. Silence is a plus. But then I’ve never ridden fixed off road (was about to before bike was stolen).

ericemel
    Free Member

My fixie tip…..relax!

montag
    Free Member

Might wait for the ice to pass a little before trying it out!

Love the bike so far – and the simplicity – done 60k on it since it arrived!

_tom_
    Free Member

Fixed is overrated. I tried it and hated it, and it’s not even that hilly where I live. freewheel 48-16 for me works a treat. Really want to go back to an SS road bike, so much more fun.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have the Viking Citi-fix – very similar but in black and silver/white.

Got mine for £155 I think it was and for that, it was a bargain. Slightly heavy for a road bike but good position for single speeding.

Change those bars though…..I thought stock bars were heavy but the steel ones on my Viking came in at near 700g!!!!

I’ve had four months commuting out of mine twice a week with no problems, but I’ve now had the itch to get a lighter SS and got a Trek 4th District. It doesn’t seem to get any easier!!

Rochey
    Free Member

I agree with ericemel, relax.

I have ridden the track in the past and trust me when your sprinting for the line and stop pedalling you soon know about it, heart stopping moment, all in all, I love mine.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Nice! I built a Pompino about 6 weeks back, have only ridden the MTB once since…

Tried it fixed, it was funny but back to SS now till I get better

montag
    Free Member

Well, I’ve done 150k on it since it arrived – I love it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘My first venture into road, and singlespeed!’ is closed to new replies.