Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • My First Uni Assignment …
  • millzy
    Free Member

is to make a poster….. explaining why Greece is Dissapearing!

hmm sounds easy enough eh?!

zaskar
    Free Member

Refs!

GrahamS

jonb
    Free Member

Posters are fairly standard. Use powerpoint, find out how long it takes to print them, make sure you can read the font size (I think 18 is an absolute minimum to be used for descriptions of figures, 36 is normal). Make it colourful and use pictures but not in a pointless way. Be prepared to stand in front of it and be questioned (or grilled if the lecturer is evil).

Why is Greece disappearing? It's still in all the holiday brochures.

millzy
    Free Member

i know… im actually finding it pretty hard to find the info on why it is disappearing!

tomzo
    Free Member

Posters are fairly standard. Use powerpoint, find out how long it takes to print them, make sure you can read the font size (I think 18 is an absolute minimum to be used for descriptions of figures, 36 is normal). Make it colourful and use pictures but not in a pointless way. Be prepared to stand in front of it and be questioned (or grilled if the lecturer is evil).

Why is Greece disappearing? It's still in all the holiday brochures.

terrible. Do something compeltely different, this sounds like the most unispired poster ever. make the poster a visual reference and make sure you do the talking. Sounds like the lecturer is lettting you have some fun, make it fun.

Brain storm some stuff…

greece…..zante…binge drinking…..people named carlos……mamma mia….etc etc

tails
    Free Member

If the project is more of an advert than a projct, you need something that catches the eye what is so greek we all know and expand on that. plate smashing? olympia? marathon? are kebabs turkish?

ScotlandTheScared

Well Greece is pretty tectonically active, so perhaps particular parts of it are sinking. Combine this with sea level rise (google 'sea level change greece') and it will be disappearing more. Then I guess you have tectonically triggered landslides, so lots of sediment will slide into the sea. And lots of Greece is low lying so it is particularly susceptible to sea level rise. And Greece is particularly coastal, so coastal erosion is probably significant.

Oh – and for heaven's sake, DO NOT REFERENCE WIKIPEDIA. By all means use it to give you pointers, but you should read some actual journal papers. Pictures are good, and not too many words – but enough to tell a story. E.g. The aim of the poster is to explain why greece is disappearing, suggest some physical processes (sea level change, tectonics, coastal erosion) and some evidence (measured rates, model predictions) and then show why greece is particularly susceptible (cos it is low lying and coastal). Job done. Big picture in the middle showing a part of greece and then another image showing same part of greece with projected sea level rise plotted over it (I am sure some modelling papers will have something like that). And it never hurts to have some actual data on there – e.g. graph of predicted sea level change according to IPCC.

Oh, I'm an earth scientist in case you were wondering… and now you are going to tell me that you are not studying any form of earth science at all and that I've just wasted my time…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

powerpoint for a poster?? you having a laugh!

PUBLISHER or page plus for a poster

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Parts of Greece are among the most tectonically active area on Earth. I studied the normal faulting on small and large (crustal scale) faulting in the area and used the Gulf of Alkionides as a type area for basin modelling, hanging wall subsidence and footwall uplift.

As for it actually 'disappearing', I would be interested in what was meant by the term.

eckinspain
    Free Member

What's the poster for? Where will it (theoretically) be posted? How long will people have to read it? Will they be walking past it, driving past it, standing in front of it? Does it need to give information? Is there additional information available elsewhere? Can posters drive traffic to a website (answer – unlikely).

millzy
    Free Member

well its for the Physical Geography section of our course so ScotlandTheScared and fauxbyfour, that info was very useful,

i just typed "why is greece disappearing" into google and the first few pages all looked a bit irrelevant, after then adding "tectonic" to the search the results looked a but more promising!

when she gave us the topic at the start i figured that there was some obvious answer (i just had never realised that greece was disapearing)
    but obviously not!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘My First Uni Assignment …’ is closed to new replies.