Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • My first SS…
  • Kryton57

Well, my old stock Genesis Altitude has been lounging in the shed for 18 months (hence the mud tyres which have been on since Jan ’11) so I finally got round to a SS conversion.

Just got to bleed the brakes and I may give it a run later today…..

ss by kryton1957, on Flickr

Loving the clean lines.

Kryton57

Well, thats my virginity gone. Much more “fun” than I thought. Definitely a knack to carrying speed downhill and leaving the breaks alone, and knowing when to stand on the pedals and grind patiently to the tops on the steep ups.

Strangley, I’m only 1kph slower than my average over that route on a geared bike – I thought the gap would be bigger.

mlucas666
    Free Member

I’ve just converted my Genesis Latitude to see how I get on with a SS bike. If it works out ok i’ll build a dedicated SS rig.

Not been out on it yet.

What’s your setup?

bradleyf
    Free Member

Cant beat the clean lines and simplicity of single speed.

Pushes you on the up hills at first but after a while you’ll be destroying geared riders up them.

Kryton57

mlucas666 – Member
    I’ve just converted my Genesis Latitude to see how I get on with a SS bike. If it works out ok i’ll build a dedicated SS rig.

Not been out on it yet.

What’s your setup?

Second hand Suoerstar conversion kit, with KNC SS chain, shallow crank bolts from Charlie the Bikemonger, 32 front /18 rear. I have 16 too but I thought I’d start easy. Total conversion cost = £26 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

Converted my Genesis Altitude to singlespeed late last year and its an absolute hoot to ride.
    I use it almost exclusively for mid week night rides on local trails , as I know I can get up all of the hills.
    Used the conversion kit from Charlie the Bikemonger and running it 32:18 (because I’m a biffer)
    Also surprised by how quick it is – suppose that you have to keep the momentum going more than you do with gears.
    Frame is currently being powder coated and I’m itching to get it rebuilt.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Second hand Suoerstar conversion kit, with KNC SS chain, shallow crank bolts from Charlie the Bikemonger, 32 front /18 rear. I have 16 too but I thought I’d start easy. Total conversion cost = £26

Mine’s not as clean to look at as yours – I’m running as Paul Components Melvin tensioner, Superstar SS kit, Superstar CNC (16t) sprocket, Shimano chain. Also got a 18t sprocket just in case.

Kryton57

Nice colour!

Belugabob, I just (sadly) did a ride comparison with Garmin connect over the same route on geared bikes (both FS and HT). Amazingly I was faster up all the hills on the SS – I guess due to the constant ration and having to get to the top with that gear, whereas with the geared bikes I’m obviously changing down to make it easier.

So I’ve learned a lesson today to speed me along – MTFU!

belugabob
    Free Member

Kryton57 – totally agree.
    I’m now trying to climb in higher gears on my geared bike and beginning to see performance improvements.

Kryton57

belugabob – Member
    Kryton57 – totally agree.
    I’m now trying to climb in higher gears on my geared bike and beginning to see performance improvements.

My only worry, how much less tolerant is a 9/10 speed chain and mech to mashing in a low gear? Certainly the KNC SS chan I have looks a brute, I’d be surprised if I could break it. But a standard chain….?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘My first SS…’ is closed to new replies.