Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My first SPD's. What should I get?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’ve decided to try SPD’s but there’s so much to choose from. A friend recommended some ‘Time’ ones but the ones I had a look at in the shop were a tad heavy and I’m trying to reduce weight at the moment. Are there many different designs? I’ll need some shoes too. Any advice much appreciated.

I’d probably want to start with something cheap and cheerful to see how I got on with them and then change to something different if I don’t.

sambob
    Free Member

Crank brothers are good for knees, but mine seized after 5 months of using them once a week. Shimano last ages, but less float so need to be set up perfectly.

Kato

Shimano M515

cheap and cheerful

matt_outandabout

Shimano M515

cheap and cheerful

And reliable, simple and work very very well.

Never bothered with anything other than these

PGreen
    Free Member

Yep as above, although I think the M515 model is slightly older, and might be alittle hard to come by, M520 model easy to find and supposively slightly better in mud, but essentially the same sort of thing. Perfect starter pedal cheap too-£20 or so. want it a bit lighter? M540s. bit more money too.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Crank brothers are good for knees

Is there more chance of getting bad knees with SPD’s? If there’s one thing I don’t want bad it’s my knees.

sambob
    Free Member

If set up correctly shimano will be absolutely fine, but that can be pretty tricky to do.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Is it possible to adjust how easy it is to unclip?

sambob
    Free Member

Shimano yes, crankbrothers have either 15 or 20 degree release, depending on which way round you have the cleats but no tension adjustment.

bs3eggs
    Free Member

crank brothers mallet then you can use them without clips if you like 🙂 only if you put on long pins though. Also a big target area for beginners.

Kato

GiantJaunt – Member

Is it possible to adjust how easy it is to unclip?

Yep there’s a tension screw on the pedal body. I’ve only ever run Shimano and never had a problem with them. M540 at the mo

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time are bombproof

finmac
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a pair of Shimano M424 caged pedals. I’m quite new to clipless and I was using an old pair of M505s but found it very annoying and difficult to get back into the pedals if I dabbed or came off on more technical ascents I also had the spring tension set too high and came off a coupla times when I needed to unclip but couldnt lol…the 505s have a platform so if you miss theres a kinda ribbed platform to fall back on til you can get re”clipped” I find setting the spring tension on the looser side helps a lot too…..happy days, can get in and out without thinking now, does wonders for the confidence……..persevere with them.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks everyone. Do I need to get special cleats or are they pretty much all the same?

bs3eggs
    Free Member

special ones they are normally specific to the brand

Lifer
    Free Member

My first SPDs were/are Crank Bros Candys. Love em, have ridden them in mud/snow/dust and hit them against big bits of nature and they’re still going strong, would recommend.

finmac
    Free Member

OK thanks everyone. Do I need to get special cleats or are they pretty much all the same?

Cleats are usually suppied with the pedals…….
    Here’s the pedals I bought.

Bazz

Crank brothers smarty’s can be picked up for around £15, Shimano M520’s for around £20, either of these would be ideal, cleats are generally specific to brand and come supplied with new pedals.

chalkntrees
    Free Member

I’m currently riding with Shimano M770 XT’s and so far I’m pretty happy with them. A mate of mine has some Shimano M647’s which have a cage around the clip. These can be handy if you’re new to SPD’s and don’t want to remain clipped in when the going gets a little dodgy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My first SPD's. What should I get?’ is closed to new replies.