Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • My first Road bike- Considering a Ribble Sportive – any others?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Top job!

Thanks to you for letting me know about the deal in the first place 🙂 worried now you’ve said they come up big though, I got a 54 as it seems about the same (just looking at the geometry charts that is) as the 2 specialized that I’ve had in the same size, both of which felt pretty comfy..

hora
    Free Member

😆 you can have my pearson steel trackbike if you want? 😉

Reading CyclingPlus Dolan Mythos anyone? (Probably the same factory/catalogue as the Ribble???)

elaineanne
    Free Member

i was goin for the cannondale synapse, but it was going to be months before the bike shop could get the order in and they werent sure how much stock they would be alod at the time so i decided on the Specialized Dolce road bike…. great first roadd bike ..imo.
    saw some nice cannondale road bikes in the bike shop the other day too… 😉

Andy

Hmmm I dont think you need to spend a lot on a road bike that will be a good bike for the likes of you and me. Road bikes dont suffer the same wear and tear as mountain bikes so good condition second hand is a good option and there are some silly bargains about at the moment.

I have a Giant defy 2 (2010) which had been upgraded to a new 10 speed 105 groupset came with a computer and was in mint condition. This one http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.2/4861/38959/ Cost me £480. Bought off ebay with an inconvenient finishing time and collection only. Love riding it. Like I say – dont need to spend a lot…

EDIT £700 here http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-defy-1-2011?zenid=8adcd9568dc15c5ffbaf69180f1aecd7

hora
    Free Member

Anyone had/have experiences of a Dolan? They are close enough to visit/fit etc for me.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes/Carbon/Sram%20Op/Mythos%20Road%20Bike

On another angle how about I pick up this as a joblot (not the wheels) and add a groupset & wheels from Ribble?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora, funnily enough I just bought my first road bike in 22 years! I need to get out more hence the decision.

I test rode a few bikes. What I found was that the modern carbon racing bikes were like patting a rabid Rottweiler when compared to your average mountain bike. The geometry and position on the bike is terrifying!

Also the ride on modern carbon bikes is massively stiff and uncomfortable, even if you’ve been used to riding a steel hardtail.

In the end I went for this:

It’s a self build that cost me £1400 (£100 more than the 105 equipped complete bike – Equilibrium 20 – which I thought was a bargain considering the upgraded kit I got) but you can get the Equilibrium 10 for £999.

I found that the combination of steel tubing and relatively relaxed geometry was a much better fit for my first road bike in 20 years. You might find the same.

This bike also has clearance for mud guards which for winter use will be a huge benefit.

PePPeR

If I were looking at a road bike to do what you’re after I’d be making sure it had clearance and eyelets for mudguards and perhaps panniers, if you want to nip out of the door for a quick ride and be back again to look after sproglet, and this is mainly for spring riding to get you fit, then I’d want to be able to ride it in all weathers.

Me I use my old Lemond Poprad CX bike for all these things, slightly wider (more comfortable tyres) and loads of space to put my mudguards on to keep me relatively clean.

I made this mistake back in 1999 by buying a pure racing bike as my first bike back into fitness, I soon realised that having a nice set of mudguards especially where I live was important!

That Genesis that Geetee’s showing looks just the job!

slimjim78
    Free Member

is it mad that I could never own a Ribble, just because I think its a crap name?

MrSmith
    Free Member

I made this mistake back in 1999 by buying a pure racing bike as my first bike back into fitness, I soon realised that having a nice set of mudguards especially where I live was important!

crud roadracer or sks.

turns a nice handling race bike into a winter bike

hora
    Free Member

is it mad that I could never own a Ribble, just because I think its a crap name?

Sort of. After all its not in the same ballpark as Dave H…… is it?

Another option? following on from GeeTee’s comment on geometry -a lightish CX? i.e. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-red-kinesis-crosslight-pro-5-60cm?replies=3#post-3365662

frogrocket
    Free Member

Cube Attempt (or any other Cube road bike) – awesome spec for the price. Plus got one on sale from CRC for £650!

flange
    Free Member

Were you not berating On-one in another post for manufacturing overseas? And now you’re looking at Ribble

brassneck

I second a Giant, plus it’s easy enough to get a sit on of one more or less anywhere in the country. I bought a £500 quid new one 7 years ago and it’s still going fine, a new bike wouldn’t make me any quicker.

hora
    Free Member

Were you not berating On-one in another post for manufacturing overseas? And now you’re looking at Ribble

Berating? I just said I wouldn’t buy another.

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re really worried about comfort, why not go and see the nice people at Keep Pedalling and ask them about the Soma Double Cross. It’s a comfy, skinny steel cross frame, but you could happily run road slicks in it and it’d be fine unless you’re going racing. And without any disrespect, you’re not going to be quick on the road, are you?

[they do road frames too. Rich and Shona there are ace and I’m sure they’d be happy to help]

What I found was that the modern carbon racing bikes were like patting a rabid Rottweiler when compared to your average mountain bike. The geometry and position on the bike is terrifying!

You get used to it.

hora
    Free Member

Depends if you and me were racing down Cavedale 😉

Cheers I didn’t know they were there. Will pop down. I miss Gbob and the Hippies place. 🙁

BadlyWiredDog

No worries.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Very happy with my just bought 2011 Giant TCR 0, alu frame carbon forks/seatpost and full Ultegra for £1000 from LBS (in sale, but it seems to be the current price give or take a quid or 20)

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘My first Road bike- Considering a Ribble Sportive – any others?’ is closed to new replies.