• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • My first rigid carbon forked ride….
  • Kryton57

…was brilliant! Not sure where the “sufferest” attitude comes from but I reckon its the perfect application for singlespeed – non of that unwanted bobbing etc when you’re up on the pedals and no distraction from the front changing length.

I have enjoyed it, and the bike feels schweeeeeeet with it. 🙂

That is all.

Kryton57

I enjoyed it anyway 😆

yunki
    Free Member

I very much enjoy it too…!!! 😀 We are like brothers!!

it’s ace, and it actually does make me feel like this pic.. 8)

The only time I miss suspension is on super fast rocky descents

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

What forks are you using?

I use On One Superlights during the winter and love the simplicity of them. The bike is so much easier to handle without the weight of suspension!

Northwind

I love it, just a different ride (I’ve put sids in my xc bike just now and it just feels poor, when it’s got its rigids in it’s poor but fun 😉 )

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You mean there’s another option?

Fully rigid and occasionally fixed – Yesterdays technology – Today!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’m looking for a big front tyre to replace some old 2.5″ Bonty Big Earls I was using when rigid. Any tips?

yunki
    Free Member

On One chunky monkey is very nice for the job, and they only cost about £2.50 for a pack of eight or something

Kryton57

leelovesbikestoo – I’m using the Exotic Carbon’s and Bonty XR4’s 2.35.

Northwind, I was trying to explain to my (disinterested) wife, that it make a whole load of difference to the ride. Its hard to explain.

But I didn’t get battered almost to death, and the bike felt really good with it.

darryl1983
    Free Member

Glad you’re enjoying the forks, I kind of regret selling them to be honest. But had to keep the other half sweet after buying a new road bike.

Kryton57

Lol – cheers Darryl. They’ve worked out great for me. Sorry you’ve had to let them go.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Welcome to 2003/4 🙄

It isn’t a 29er is it? So welcome to 1996.

ESI grips, 2.25/3 front tyre with Circa 5/10 psi less than in the rear. 32/18 or 16 or 20..

Awe, you know the rules.

😆

Kryton57

No its a 26’er so I’m ahead of the curve into 2019 when smaller wheeled bikes for tight twisty singletrack will be all the rage…

Front 30psi, rear 37, and 32/18…

😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

welcome but shhhhhh keep it quiet or everybody will want a go!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

S’nice innit. 😀

brassneck

You mean there’s another option?

Yeah, I have to tow the trailer or Tag A Long on it. When it was 32:16 I wasn’t sure whether my legs or the chain would go first.

DaveRambo

I’ve just built up a cheap singlespeed and put on some rigid forks, expecting to be battered after riding it.

Not the case and as OP mentioned it’s a very good option for SS in keeping with the simple approach.

New bike syndrome and the novelty mean it’s my current choice of weapon at the moment when I head offroad.

velocipede
    Free Member

I’ve got my (current) SS up for sale on the forum and it has Salsa Cro-Moto steel rigid forks – how could you even consider carbon when we all know that steel is real!!!

nedrapier

Big tyre fans – 2.4 Conti X Kings in Racesport are big, light and fast and grippy enough.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They’re rubbish on the techy stuff and gnarr descents, but an enjoyable different ride (as Northwind says) on general BW’s, standard double track and other none tech trails.
    I found that mine rode nicely with the bike at about 23lbs, tried it with some super light wheels/tyres at 20lbs and I was pinged all over the place and going at any sort of speed down rough descents felt really dodgy.

D0NK

…was brilliant! Not sure where the “sufferest” attitude comes from

couple years ago I switched back to rigid (cheapy p2 steel jobs) for a while. Going out for an evening ride it felt spectacularly normal, just a bit iffy on proper rocky stuff obviously. Went out on some longer rides and that’s where the “sufferfest” comes in, your arms and shoulders get more of a battering, fine on short rides but once you’re tired you just can’t soak up the bumps anymore and every lump and bump on a DH jolt your arms, ouchy. Sufferfest may be overstating it but it is pretty uncomfortable. Sommat you get used to tho so you can go longer before the pain starts, same as other riding really.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘My first rigid carbon forked ride….’ is closed to new replies.