Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • My first retro build, 1995(ish) Gary Fisher Montare
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

My first retro build! bloody nightmare, 1,1/4 headset, wierdly small bb, massive front mech clamp, and 8mm (impossible to find) frame canti bosses….

got the frame and forks, and went from there trying to stick to the original spec (until i realised that that was actually quite rubbish)

so i deviated…… quite a lot

saddle is modern, the front mech is quite modern, as are the pedals, its awaiting some better and shorter Lx cranks, oh and the seatpost is also modernish…..

the cables all need trimming, the garden is frankly disastrous, but all in it has set me back £120 with mostly xt kit bar the slx shifters which are really nice

it rides great! thanks to everyone who supplied kit, especially my mate si who donated for free!

taka
    Free Member

looks nice makes me want to refurbish all my old bikes 😉

69er
    Free Member

That's not a garden….

BigTed
    Free Member

Looks sweet, like the bartape instead of grips

2alexcoo
    Free Member

Ooh, nice bike!

I have a soft spot for mid-nineties Fishers; nice paint colours and understated graphics. My '95 Aquila is still going strong as a singlespeed. Yours is a 1994 if my inner anorak is not mistaken 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

That looks nice. Is that from before he sold out to Trek?

timdrayton
    Free Member

dunno (re the trek sell out bit) but it is remenicent of the old kleins

the pics dont really show it but the frame colour is this dark plum colour which changes in the light (bit like dodgy 90s tvrs)

the only bike which has made my missus comment on its looks (in a good way)

CountZero

Ooooo, nice bike! Well done for getting it back on the road. The colour's lovely, and I always liked Gary's graphics from back then. There's no point in being too retro, if it means using badly designed kit that compromises the ride. My first mountain bike was an '88 Stumpy, with U-Brake and Biopace rings. At the time I looked at a GF HooKooEKoo, and with hindsight I wish I'd bought the Fisher and kept it. Much better bike really.
    Enjoy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘My first retro build, 1995(ish) Gary Fisher Montare’ is closed to new replies.